HR20, running hot!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

shramj

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jul 19, 2005
I was checking my HR20 and right were the hard drive sits, it's really hot. Almost like you can burn your hand or cook an egg on it! I moved my PS2 off of it because I didn't want it to cook. Is anyone else's run this hot?

I was checking my HR20 and right were the hard drive sits, it's really hot. Almost like you can burn your hand or cook an egg on it! I moved my PS2 off of it because I didn't want it to cook. Is anyone else's run this hot?

Check your internal temp. anywhere from 120 to 127* is about normal in most cases.

Jimbo

What???

I thought the extremely obvious perforations on top were so we could hear the hard drive making it's lovely whirring noises. Now I question my theory; maybe, just maybe, they are cooling vents - and should not be covered up??? :eek:
(Sorry for the sarcastic post, I couldn't help myself. I shall promptly march to the woodshed, and mercilessly flog myself with hickory switch!)

Last edited:
Correct, do not place anything on top of the HR20 so that it can vent the heat. I also wouldn't place it on top of anything that generates a lot of heat either (A/V receiver for example).

Normal temp is 125-127 or so, anything over 130 is getting outside of spec. You can check the temp by going into the setup menus.

h20 and hr20

coming from a tech's point of view , u can buy a usb fan and plug it in to the usb port in rear . the port is active, not only to network with your pc . these models have no cooling, as you are all aware, and yes, it can't breath if you sufficate it .

Cool! (no pun intended)

coming from a tech's point of view , u can buy a usb fan and plug it in to the usb port in rear . the port is active, not only to network with your pc . these models have no cooling, as you are all aware, and yes, it can't breath if you sufficate it .

Cool! (no pun intended) This is a good idea, I will keep it in mind if I ever get cramped for space.

But for the poster's application, that is making the assumption that whatever he is putting on top of it leaves an adequate "gap" between the components. If there is no gap, there is no airflow regardless of any auxilliary fan; and I am sure the engineers did some basic thermal modeling, and were depending on the main cooling to come from some amount of airflow through the vents on top. This is easily solved though by putting some little self stick rubber feet on the top component (HomeDepot, Lowes, etc...).

On the same note: The HR-20's design must be fairly thermally efficient. I have mine in a very heavy cabinet, with only narrow slots cut in the back for cables. I left 4" of clearance up to the next shelf, and I leave the glass door open about 1" for airflow. After reading "Jimbos" post I decided to check the temp, it is sitting right at 127F (where it should be). I guess the engineers did a good job; but, I still would never put anything directly on top if it blocks the vents.

Take care,
Will

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)