Status
Please reply by conversation.

Claude Greiner

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 8, 2003
Detroit - The Paris of the Midwest
I recently had AT&T Fiber installed and the speeds are absolutely amazing. I’m averaging 940 up and down.

I recently got 1 Gig Comcast installed at the office which is about 950 down and 35 up.

I was wondering if it was possible if I setup a VPN connection if I could get a client to work over an internet connection.

Not trying to steal service as I got a paid subscription at home and a showroom demo at the office.

However more of do you think it would work?

I can convert the coax on the clients to eithernet with decca adaptors

I recently had AT&T Fiber installed and the speeds are absolutely amazing. I’m averaging 940 up and down.

I recently got 1 Gig Comcast installed at the office which is about 950 down and 35 up.

I was wondering if it was possible if I setup a VPN connection if I could get a client to work over an internet connection.

Not trying to steal service as I got a paid subscription at home and a showroom demo at the office.

However more of do you think it would work?

I can convert the coax on the clients to eithernet with decca adaptors

Yes. I have done this to watch stuff off of my HS17 through the Directv app.

Yes. I have done this to watch stuff off of my HS17 through the Directv app.
But I think what Claude is asking here is different, where he wants a DIRECTV client RVU connectivity to a remote Genie server over a VPN connection.

I don't think that's possible. In fact RVU IP connectivity is not even DHCP managed, but uses 169.254.x.x APIPA type arrangement for "link-local" addressing of the server and its RVU clients.

Reactions: harshness
But I think what Claude is asking here is different, where he wants a DIRECTV client RVU connectivity to a remote Genie server over a VPN connection.

I don't think that's possible. In fact RVU IP connectivity is not even DHCP managed, but uses 169.254.x.x APIPA type arrangement for "link-local" addressing of the server and its RVU clients.

No not really. Just has to be on the same network. You could do it with an RVU TV. IP addressing doesn’t matter. It will still see the server because the link of the vpn tunnel is as if he was physically at the location. A good test would be to take your cellphone, get off of wifi and do a vpn tunnel over cellular data with a router and rvu client / TV connected over The cellular vpn tunnel. Also the Directv app does connect the same way as an rvu client when watching live tv over the app from the HS17.

How would the latency be switching back to coax. Does the audio and video stay in sync?

RVU uses DTCP-IP as one of its building blocks, which enforces a 7ms maximum round trip time for connections between endpoints as part of its DRM. Your speed is irrelevant, you'd need to have a very low latency connection between the two locations - if they were both connected to the same internet provider in the same metro area, it might work. But between AT&T and Comcast it'll never happen, even if the two locations were next door to each other.

Basically, if you can't ping the other location and consistently get <7 ms ping times, don't even bother trying. And of course you'd need some pretty decent router hardware so the VPN doesn't add latency of its own...

There is an alternative..assuming you only need a few channels..you can use a roku with aps for specific channels such a ESPN or CNN that allow to use directv credentials to log in...these aps often have live streaming channels included..much much simpler to set up than a VPN and client

RVU uses DTCP-IP as one of its building blocks, which enforces a 7ms maximum round trip time for connections between endpoints as part of its DRM. Your speed is irrelevant, you'd need to have a very low latency connection between the two locations - if they were both connected to the same internet provider in the same metro area, it might work. But between AT&T and Comcast it'll never happen, even if the two locations were next door to each other.

Basically, if you can't ping the other location and consistently get <7 ms ping times, don't even bother trying. And of course you'd need some pretty decent router hardware so the VPN doesn't add latency of its own...

That's the beauty of fiber... It's a 1ms ping from the Centurylink gateway to the Comcast gateway here in Tucson. Heck, it's 2ms ping from here to LA and Phoenix. 5ms from here to Chicago. Latency isn't as much of a deal anymore. Also, where is your source on that?

That's the beauty of fiber... It's a 1ms ping from the Centurylink gateway to the Comcast gateway here in Tucson. Heck, it's 2ms ping from here to LA and Phoenix. 5ms from here to Chicago. Latency isn't as much of a deal anymore. Also, where is your source on that?

Fiber doesn't magically make the gateway between two ISPs low latency, they must be connected to the same exchange or have a peering agreement there. That's not the case in most places - generally even if you had no latency at all inside ISP networks you'd blow the 7ms just traveling from one ISP to the other...

The DTCP-IP spec is public, I'm sure you can find it via google.

Reactions: dolfan3033
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts