HR20 Second tuner ?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

sirius_minded

Original poster
Jan 11, 2007
Ok I feel stupid asking this but how do you switch to the second tuner on the HR20. I can tell there is going to be a learning curve here from my old D* Tivo box. Thanks in advance for the help!!!

Ok I feel stupid asking this but how do you switch to the second tuner on the HR20. I can tell there is going to be a learning curve here from my old D* Tivo box. Thanks in advance for the help!!!

You really don't change , when the 1st tuner is being used, it automatically goes to the 2nd tuner.
If your talking about watch ing two different shows flipping back and forth, there is no easy way to do that.
Check the tips and tricks, you may find some info about that in there.

Jimbo

you don't,the second tuner is there so
1) you can record one channel while watching another or
2)record 2 channels while you are watching a recorded program

it's smart enough to do that by itself

you will need 2 feeds from your dish for that to work

I believe you're referring to "time-shifting." That was the beauty of the TIVO model. The HR-20 is "smart" enough to do it itself, but "stupid" enough to take the option away from you. :mad: It's, by far, the primary reason I have not migrated to to the HR-20 yet. The work around involves recording everything under the sun, but that sucks. Our options are dwindling fast!

Since I don't have an HR20 I'm confused, what can't this IRD do that my HD Tivo unit can do?

What it doesn't have is dual live buffers. With a dual tuner tivo, you can switch between the tuners, each of which have 30 minutes of buffer. For instance, you can watch HGTV on one tuner and during a commercial, hit pause, switch tuners and watch a baseball game on the second tuner. Break in the action in the game, hit pause and switch back to the first tuner, hit play and continue watching HGTV from the point you left off. The HR20 only has one active live buffer, although its buffer does record for up to 90 minutes. So, whatever channel you happen to be watching on one tuner is using all the buffer, very much like having a one tuner Tivo. However, the HR20 does have two tuners, so you can set it to record two things at the same time, or watch one show tying up all the live buffer while the background tuner records a second show. There is a work around for the buffer thing on the HR20 that involves setting two programs to record and using the back (previous?) button to switch between shows. This is imperfect in that it forces you to record two shows that you will delete later, plus it is not continuous in that it will end when the shows on each tuner end.

I believe you're referring to "time-shifting." That was the beauty of the TIVO model. The HR-20 is "smart" enough to do it itself, but "stupid" enough to take the option away from you. :mad: It's, by far, the primary reason I have not migrated to to the HR-20 yet. The work around involves recording everything under the sun, but that sucks. Our options are dwindling fast!

Chances are that that feature your trying to get your HR20-700 to do, will never do that exact thing because there is a TIVO patent preventing it from happening.

Jimbo

Thanks for the responses. I was trying to do the dual live buffer. I will miss the feature, but it is not that big of a deal.

Are there any Dish dvrs that have dlb other than the 622s,I need 1 622 and two standard dvrs to match what I already have with Direct

You cant. the HR20 is crippled and no live dual buffers either. D* has chosen to reinvent the wheel, when all we needed was an HDtivo with mpeg4 technology. D* does not want to pay fees to Tivo anymore so we all will suffer. :(

Chances are that that feature your trying to get your HR20-700 to do, will never do that exact thing because there is a TIVO patent preventing it from happening.

Jimbo

I know this post is from January, but I just want to clarify, that as far as many others have said, Tivo does NOT have a patent on this.

Jimbo

If that is the case, how did Ultimate TV (Microsoft) have dual live buffers 6 years ago, and why does the Comcast (non-TiVo) DVR have them now?

There is no TiVo patent on this. DirecTV just dropped the ball (IMHO) in the design of the HR20. It is possible they will rectify this in the future, but I am not holding my breath.

Even though I dont use DLB, I found it odd not being on the HR20. I would love to know the reason why. I wonder if it got scraped because they were really slow in getting out the HR20 last September and had to cut something they didnt finish or had problems with. Keep in mind, the HR20 is their first full DVR developed internally. We may never know. I still have hope that one day we will see it.

Dish vip622 has Dlb

TIVO has a lawsuit going right now against E* for alledged patent violations. This is being dragged out but if TIVO prevails E* will be in a world of hurt as all their DVR's will be shut down. I doubt if that will ever happen but the way our courts work who knows! :D

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)