HR20 weak 2nd tuner signal, 1st tuner OK.....

Status
Please reply by conversation.

chrisexv6

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Oct 12, 2004
Has anyone had this happen before? Tuner 1 signal is a steady 90-some odd percent on all transponders on the 101 sat. Tuner 2 fluctuates like crazy, like its "peaking" (signal starts low, then pops up to almost normal strength, then fluctuates between almost normal and weak). Tuner 2 signal on the other sats is even lower, which is normal (tuner 1 signal is slightly lower on the other sats too)

I ruled out wiring (swapped the incoming lines and tuner 2 is still weak). The only thing odd about my setup right now is that there is a multiswitch inline, but its not a 6x8, just the old 5x8 until DirecTV gets someone out here with a 6x8.

I verified this is an issue by recording two programs. One was great, the other had all sorts of pixellization and sound squeaks.

Am I going to have to return it? Are they going to give me a refurb for a one day old HR20?

-Chris

Has anyone had this happen before? Tuner 1 signal is a steady 90-some odd percent on all transponders on the 101 sat. Tuner 2 fluctuates like crazy, like its "peaking" (signal starts low, then pops up to almost normal strength, then fluctuates between almost normal and weak). Tuner 2 signal on the other sats is even lower, which is normal (tuner 1 signal is slightly lower on the other sats too)

I ruled out wiring (swapped the incoming lines and tuner 2 is still weak). The only thing odd about my setup right now is that there is a multiswitch inline, but its not a 6x8, just the old 5x8 until DirecTV gets someone out here with a 6x8.

I verified this is an issue by recording two programs. One was great, the other had all sorts of pixellization and sound squeaks.

Am I going to have to return it? Are they going to give me a refurb for a one day old HR20?

-Chris
From what I've read, the multiswitch HAS to be the one designed for the 5 LNB setup, maybe thats part of your issue.

Jimbo

Had this issue twice. Has nothing to do with multiswitch. Just a bad receiver both times new receivers from the box first time even heard a high pitch noise from back of the receiver which didnt make me happy at all. After swapping cables/converters/ground blocks/resetting and reformatting nothing changed its just a bad piece of sh*t equipment that cost me hours of wasted time. Tell them to send you a new one. I dont think Directv has right to replace brand new receiver with a refurb.

Had this issue twice. Has nothing to do with multiswitch. Just a bad receiver both times new receivers from the box first time even heard a high pitch noise from back of the receiver which didnt make me happy at all. After swapping cables/converters/ground blocks/resetting and reformatting nothing changed its just a bad piece of sh*t equipment that cost me hours of wasted time. Tell them to send you a new one. I dont think Directv has right to replace brand new receiver with a refurb.

You failed to to ya or na MY point.
His problem is probably NOT the multiswitch, however, I was trying to let him know he has the WRONG Multiswitch so he can have it replaced.
The correct Multiswitch is important for future use.

Jimbo

Did a little more testing.

It seems that its only the odd transponders on all sats having a problem on Tuner 2. Tuner 1 all transponders on all sats are fine. The worst on tuner 2 are the 119 sat odd transponders, those fall into the 50's and 60's, while the evens stay in the high 80s.

Today I will bypass the multiswitch and connect both HR20 tuners directly to the dish to see what happens. I tried last night by connecting tuner 2 to one of the incoming lines from the dish (with the other 3 incoming lines still connected to the multiswitch)......it must have been just the line that I picked, but all my odd xponders went to 0, and the evens were in the mid to high 90s on Tuner 2. That was an improvement in signal, except for the fact that the odd xponders went out. So Im not sure if the tuner really is bad, or if it has something to do with the multiswitch. Tonight Ill dig up another junction connector and connect both tuners to 2 of the 4 feeds from the dish, and unhook the other 2 feeds from the switch. The fact that it was capable of better signals on Tuner 2 has me wondering if it really *isnt* the tuner.

Also, I setup the same recording that pixellized before.........one 30 minute show on HGTV and one 60 minute show on Discovery, both beginning at the same time. This time, neither of the shows pixellated (the Disc. show pixellated the first time I tried it).

Too bad I might need another box, this one doesnt seem to have any other issues. Im actually impressed with the performance.....after working with it for a night, I went to use our SD DirecTivo and it was slow in comparison.

-Chris

UPDATE:

Connected the 2 tuners directly to the dish and unplugged the multiswitch from power, Tuner 2 is now as solid as Tuner 1.

Thought it a kind of odd issue, considering Tuner 1 was great the whole time connected to the same multiswitch.

Ill take it :) means I might have a *good* experience with the HR20 now.

-Chris

You failed to to ya or na MY point.
His problem is probably NOT the multiswitch, however, I was trying to let him know he has the WRONG Multiswitch so he can have it replaced.
The correct Multiswitch is important for future use.

Jimbo

A 5X8 wouldn't cause that. A 5X8 wouldn't pass low frequencies. That is why a WB6X8 is used.

A 5X8 wouldn't cause that. A 5X8 wouldn't pass low frequencies. That is why a WB6X8 is used.

grydlok,
I was trying to point out that he had the wrong multiswitch in the equation, I did not know if it would solve his problem or not, just wanted him to know that they reccomend a diiferent switch (WB6x8)

Jimbo

grydlok,
I was trying to point out that he had the wrong multiswitch in the equation, I did not know if it would solve his problem or not, just wanted him to know that they reccomend a diiferent switch (WB6x8)

Jimbo

yeah that is true.

Its odd but the 5x8 seems to have caused the issue. I didnt think that was the culprit but bypassing fixed the issue (Tuner 2 signal locked in at 96/97 like Tuner 1).

Now I just need to get a 6x8. Trying to call DirecTV to see when they can get one out to me, otherwise I might just pick one up on ebay.

-Chris

Its odd but the 5x8 seems to have caused the issue. I didnt think that was the culprit but bypassing fixed the issue (Tuner 2 signal locked in at 96/97 like Tuner 1).

Now I just need to get a 6x8. Trying to call DirecTV to see when they can get one out to me, otherwise I might just pick one up on ebay.

-Chris

If you bought and installed the Dish and Ird yourself good luck, but knowing D* they will just make a service call for it.

Nope, I had them do the install. The 6x8 was just never put on the workorder (which I knew, but I figured the installer might just have one for me). He talked to the activation CSR when activating the new receiver and they told me to just make another order and they would piggyback it onto the dish/HR20 order.

Called them this morning, they had an opening for tomorrow morning........I was surprised. Then again, it should take all of 5 minutes because I have the 5x8 right now, just drop the 6x8 in and its good to go. They refused to send me one for self-install, dunno why.

-Chris

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)