HR21-700 External Hard Drive Possible?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

eddiew

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Apr 15, 2004
I have two HR21-700s. Running out of Recording space already. Is a external drive an option for the HR21 like it is on the HR20.

anyone know if this is possible? thanks in advance for any info.

I have two HR21-700s. Running out of Recording space already. Is a external drive an option for the HR21 like it is on the HR20.

Absolutely possible, external eSata or replace the internal with larger hard drive. I'm using Hitachi 1T drive on my Hr21-700.

Ran it external for a while and the installed internal to get rid of the wires.

Absolutely possible, external eSata or replace the internal with larger hard drive. I'm using Hitachi 1T drive on my Hr21-700.

Ran it external for a while and the installed internal to get rid of the wires.

You have both an Internal and an External Hitachi 1TB drive ?

I saw the eSATA Hitachi's (I think they were esata), going for about $ 350-399, does that sound about right ?
I had not heard if they would work yet, so I hadn't really considered it.... A bit more than I care to spend though.

Jimbo

You have both an Internal and an External Hitachi 1TB drive ?

I saw the eSATA Hitachi's (I think they were esata), going for about $ 350-399, does that sound about right ?
I had not heard if they would work yet, so I hadn't really considered it.... A bit more than I care to spend though.

Jimbo

I just have the 1 Hitachi 1TB drive. I had it running external and then moved it to internal.

I paid about $300 from Newegg.

It works great and is a fast drive.

Ok I am game, Do I get to use the internal and external HD when use the USB for an External Hard drive?? and How does the programs get stored o n the External Hard dive are they in files like they are on the HR21 hard drive??

I recomend an external solution, in case you ever need to send the box back to D* so they don't see a broken seal - remember your box is a lease.

Also, remember that the external drive will replace the internal, now join it. You basically start with a blank drive - just like when you bought the unit. Your old stuff is still on the internal drive, but you would need to disconnect the external and reboot to access it.

Status
Please reply by conversation.