HR21/AM21 Issue...

Status
Please reply by conversation.

soonersherm

Original poster
Dec 20, 2005
Hi Forum

It's been a long time since I've posted with an issue... Hope the community here is as helpful to me as it was the last time...

Here's the situation: I've got bedroom HDTV that doesn't have an OTA tuner. The bedroom isn't currently wired for DirecTV. I've got an unused HR21 & AM21 I'd like to use in the bedroom for OTA viewing at bedtime. Problem: I can't get the HR21 through the initial set up. I am able to enter my zip code, and then I get a perpetual freeze in the "advanced setup" phase.

Is there a way to bypass satellite setup? I have access to my Playlist. I just want to be able to use the AM21's OTA tuner without dealing with DirecTV programming.

Thanks guys...

I think you will have to get it a satellite connection, the receiver is very cripled without satellite feed.

PICT0009.JPG
The Directv's guide data, regardless whether it's for Directv's satellite channels or your local OTA channels, comes from the satellite. I got the above message when I lost the sat signal after a few hours. A few hours later, the Directv box reset, and I lost the ability to tune all channels, even the OTA, because I had no satellite signal going to the receiver.

I was afraid of all this. I'm probably just going to need to call DirecTV and install a line into the bedroom. Perhaps I can take the receiver into the living room, connect it to a UPS power supply, download the guide data, etc... then rush it into the bedroom and install the antenna? This is all very unlikely to happen, as I do not currently own a backup power supply box like a UPS and according to Moghedien's reply that would only be a part-time fix.

why cant you install a line to the receiver yourself?

another thought is will the unit get past the "card is expired" message to view a OTA channel? Actually as I think about it my old H10 I could do OTA even though the receiver has been deactivated for a while now

Iceberg - you're right about running the line myself. I misrepresented what exactly I needed to do. I will however need to contact DirecTV to get my receiver re-activated.

Like you're saying, my old receivers like the H10 could function strictly as an OTA tuner. I wish I could figure the same setup with this HR21...

I would try and hook it up and see how far you can go with it. Maybe you can use it strictly as an OTA tuner with the AM21. I know 100, 200 and 201 are in the clear on all receivers so it **might** be possible to do that without having it activated

I would try and hook it up and see how far you can go with it. Maybe you can use it strictly as an OTA tuner with the AM21. I know 100, 200 and 201 are in the clear on all receivers so it **might** be possible to do that without having it activated

Would you really spend the time and money to run coax from the multiswitch to the bedroom on the chance a deactivated HR21/AM21 receiver **might** work as an OTA tuner?

why not? I did it with a D10 for a while....til I got upgraded to HD then lost that ability ;)

He can hook it to the switch he currently has as a temporary setup to see if it works

Status
Please reply by conversation.