HR21 slow guide

Status
Please reply by conversation.

michaelbudney

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 9, 2008
OK, I know nobody has ever accused the HR21 guide of being fast but I had my old Voom receiver hooked up today since I'm getting ready to sell it as an OTA tuner. After using the HR21 for a couple weeks I was blown away by how fast that old Voom receiver was. You press and hold the up and down button and the thing actually scrolls at a good clip. I got used to the HR21 feel and just came to accept it.

It got me to wondering why the guide is so slow or feels slow to operate on the HR21. I'm not talking about channel changes, I know why they can be slow. Are all D*'s receviers like this? Is the hardware not capable or is it just tuned that way in the software? I know the remote has to be continually pressed for up/down or page up/page down which I find a bit irritating.

It sort of seems to me the hardware platform might not be optimized too well for multithreaded performance.

Anyway, not so much a complaint, I'm just curious.

By working on that is it the lack of scrolling on the remote (press and hold) or the response time of the guide UI?

Response time.

That would be welcome but I'd also like to see the remote operate like every other system I've used -- press, hold and scroll, not press, press, press,press, press, press,press, press, press,press, press, press,press, press, press,press, press, press,press, press, press, press, press, press,press, press, press, etc.

I just had DirecTv installed on Monday 03/03/08. The HD21-700 guide scrolls, page by page ,when I hold the down or up channel button at a comfortable reading rate.

I discovered that a while ago but there is an initial pause that seems exceedingly long before the scroll occurs. After that it's still slow to page and sometimes seems to get hung up waiting for the next page.

I'll have to see if it improved in the last CE.

I tried page scrolling on the latest CE now and it seems much better. There is an occasional hiccup but that's to be expected anyway.

It's hard to tell with these HD DVRs. They can be so temperamental.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)