HR22 is dead; I think...

Status
Please reply by conversation.

szln6z

Original poster
Jan 1, 2009
Indiana
Sorry... should have posted in Technical forum.

As an initial comment, DTV is sending me a replacement HR22 as we speak. Unfortunately I won't get it until Tuesday, Jan 6. Am quite happy with the responsiveness of DTV Cust Service.

Anyway... here's that happened. I'm posting this with the hope that you folks can guide me in the event that I missed something. I just got DTV 1 week ago, so this issue does not give me a warm fuzzy...

This morning I noticed that the HR22 was on (blue lights) and recording. Didn't think anything of it. Later in the day, went to watch TV; HR22 was still on and recording; pressed ON on the DTV remote. TV came on but said no signal. I pressed PWR on the remote but the HR22 did not respond. Pressed power button on the fron of the HR22, still nothing. Pressed the red reset, and HR22 shut off. Pressed power and nothing. Unplugged HR22 for a few minutes. Plugged in, pressed power, nothing. Left unplugged for 15 mins or so, still nothing. I'm pretty sure it's toast, and DTV must think so too since I'm getting a replacement.

Any knowledge of this happening to other folks? Solutions?

After reading all the posts about the HR22 being a POS, I had my fingers crossed that the problems were sporadic and i was just reading posts from frustrated users. I'm wondering now if switching from DISH was a stupid decision...

Thanks,

James

Last edited:
I didn't know that the HR-22 is supposedly a POS, I hope that's not the case as I have 2 of them working flawlessly for 2 months now

I only base that on reading many posts about issues (freezes, reboots, etc) and then experiencing an issue myself after only 1 week. Am hoping it's just a fluke and my replacement will work great. (However, I've read several posts where DTV can replace a DVR with whatever DVR they have sitting around; i.e. refurbished HR21. I will quickly ensure my replacment is an HR22, or it's going back.)

Sorry, I wasn't very helpful in my original post. It sounds like you just got a bad receiver, and I'm glad to hear that customer service was so quick to help get the issue resolved. I am a new DTV subscriber myself, and haven't had to deal with customer service yet. Hope your replacement is problem-free.

I only base that on reading many posts about issues (freezes, reboots, etc) and then experiencing an issue myself after only 1 week. Am hoping it's just a fluke and my replacement will work great. (However, I've read several posts where DTV can replace a DVR with whatever DVR they have sitting around; i.e. refurbished HR21. I will quickly ensure my replacment is an HR22, or it's going back.)

It should be as it is a policy to replace HR22/HR23 with the same.. also the same policy with the R22 because of the larger drive.

Zynergy:

Thanks for that comment. I read two posts where folks received an older model replacement, but you just have to take any post with a grain of salt. I actually asked the Rep if it would be a like-for-like replacement and he said "yes, it will be an HD DVR"; I pressed him, asking specifically if it would be an HR22. He very politely answered that he just coiuldn't tell that level of detail from the screens he's looking at.

So, anyway, thanks for the note on the policy; that only makes sense.

James

Your replacement will be limited to available stock in the D* warehouse. It will have the same functionality that you have now, but could be any model. It will also be a refurbished unit. Any problem that your replacement may have had will have been resolved and it will have been thoroughly bench tested. It will be better than a new one.

Your replacement will be limited to available stock in the D* warehouse. It will have the same functionality that you have now, but could be any model. It will also be a refurbished unit. Any problem that your replacement may have had will have been resolved and it will have been thoroughly bench tested. It will be better than a new one.

Q. to szln6z,
Is D* sending you a replacement, or sending out a tech to replace it for you ?

IF D* is Fed Ex' ing one to your, it goes by whats in thier warehouse, probably much better chance of getting the same one.
If they are sending a tech out to replace it, they are limited to what they have on hand.
As for refurbished vs new, the original one should obviously be NEW, but don't worry if you get a refurbed one as a replacement, I've had refurbed ones and have had better luck with them.

Jimbo

Last edited:
Jimbo:

Yeah D* is FedExing it. Am not too concerned about the new vs refurb, and actually tend to agree with you that a refurb might be preferable.

My only issue is that I just signed up for D* and the large DVR storage of the HR22 was a selling point; if I end up with less storage space, I'll feel slighted.

James

Jimbo:

Yeah D* is FedExing it. Am not too concerned about the new vs refurb, and actually tend to agree with you that a refurb might be preferable.

My only issue is that I just signed up for D* and the large DVR storage of the HR22 was a selling point; if I end up with less storage space, I'll feel slighted.

James

What is the size on the HR22 ? 500 or is it the 320 version ?

You can purchase an external if you want, lost of info here about them.
I've been using a 750 for a long time now, actually thinking about going to a 1.5 tb soon, just saw one for around $ 200.

Jimbo

This could sound stupid but generally when your TV says "No Signal" or "Unusable Signal" it means that you're on the wrong video input on your TV or that your HDMI/Component cables are not properly connected. When your receiver does not have a satellite signal, it will not just simply tell you there is no signal. Even without a satellite signal, you should still get a display on the screen.

Check your video inputs and connections.

Well, it's gets better: my replacement HD DVR is now backordered... great...

I've never heard of that happening. is it because they are trying to make sure you get that particular model? They probably dont have many refurbs yet for HR22/23 being so new.

A lot of service calls and ERP HR22 replacements were done with HR20 and HR21 and customers complained that they couldn't record 80 hours of Gilmore Girls any more so now that the Primary DVR's they are sending with techs are R22/HR22/HR23 which have larger storage capacity they only replace with same model. If you are not worried about getting a 22/23 then just call back and have "em send whateveh"

An update, 'cause I think you guys would be interested.

- HR22-100 arrived on Wed Jan 7.
- New or Refurb? No idea, but looks like new
- Working well so far

As a note, it was shipped via FedEx on Monday; I called D* Monday evening (8PM) to find out the status, and they said "still backordered, so sorry." Hmmm, not exactly a "live" IT tool they're using, huh?

And they gave me a $15 credit on my acct for loss of service; happy with that.

J

This could sound stupid but generally when your TV says "No Signal" or "Unusable Signal" it means that you're on the wrong video input on your TV or that your HDMI/Component cables are not properly connected. When your receiver does not have a satellite signal, it will not just simply tell you there is no signal. Even without a satellite signal, you should still get a display on the screen.

Check your video inputs and connections.

Yeah.... I not dumb... ;)

What is the size on the HR22 ? 500 or is it the 320 version ?

You can purchase an external if you want, lost of info here about them.
I've been using a 750 for a long time now, actually thinking about going to a 1.5 tb soon, just saw one for around $ 200.

Jimbo

Cybok0 - I was wondering the same thing. I've got 20hrs. of recordings onmine and it said I've got 80% space remaining. That's a lot of storage! Thanks for clearing that up for me.

Status
Please reply by conversation.