Status
Please reply by conversation.

cparker

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
May 8, 2007
Sanborn, NY
I'm getting new HR24s with my install. My understanding is that DECA is built in to the HR24 so I shouldn't see a separate DECA module at the receiver.

My house is wired for ethernet (I did it) and has an RJ45 at each receiver location. Will I no longer need that for the receiver? Does the HR24 "do DECA" through the coax? I'm assuming that's the case but I don't know as I have no experience with DECA. This will be a new ride for me.

I have 2 RG6-QS coming from my current E* dish location. One goes to each TV. The dish is mounted at the eaves of my attached garage. I can see by my neighbor's D* dish location/orientation that this location will work fine for the D* dish as well.

I am guessing the installer will install SWM and/or whatever they need right there where the cable enters the garage. I have power right there as well. Should I run an ethernet cable out to that location? Should I pull another RG6 and take it to where my router is? I have a DSL router connected to a 24-port gigabit switch and patch cables from the gigabit switch to my patch panel.

I've seen diagrams showing just 1 separate DECA module connected to the router when using HR24s.

I'm not overly concerned or anything. I usually try to help installers as much as I can 'cause most people probably treat 'em like crap. And if I have the cable sitting here on spools, it's no big deal for me to pull some cable before they get there (and I get to choose how it's routed and where the holes get drilled. :) )

Thoughts? Help 'em out or let them handle it?

The HR24's have built in DECA. You won't need ethernet. Make sure you ask for the Internet Connection Kit. Do not plug an ethernet cable into the HR24's, it disables the built in DECA.

SWiM requires a single cable to the dish. A splitter splits the feeds to each receiver. The power supply can be placed next to one of your receivers, it doesn't have to be near the dish.

You won't need ethernet anywhere near the dish.

If you have ethernet connected to your router at one of your receivers they could make the internet connection there. The connection is made via RG-6 to a Deca module with power supply connected to the router or switch via ethernet. They could also run a new line of RG-6 to wherever your router is and connect there.

The installers are getting more familiar with MRV/DECA. If anything, just make sure they don't plug an ethernet cable into either of your receivers. That has been known to happen and it will stop MRV from working.

You need an RG-6 cable going from your router, to where the SWM splitter will be installed. Sounds like your Splitter will go where your ground block should be located from Dish.

They said something about using a dish that has SWM built-in? Does that mean I would need a cable from the dish for each DVR location?

I'll have 2 of the HR24s initially, but if I wanted to add a 3rd receiver it sounds like this would mean adding a cable run all the way to the dish. Maybe I'm just not understanding yet how this all works. :)

I would PREFER to have a cable pulled to my closet where the router, switch, patch panel, and all that stuff resides so that I minimize the amount of cables and wires right at the DVR location. If I am starting to understand the DECA setup, I believe they can just put the DECA right there at my router and either plug it directly into the router or plug it into my 24-port gigabit switch.

Jumping on to this thread...

My scenario - Installed 9/25 by an installer who was, to be generous, still in the steep part of the learning curve.

Two HD-DVRs (oddly, one shows as an HR24-100 and one as an HR24-200, is there a difference?). RG6 from each to the SWM and ground. RG6 to the dish.

Installer tested MRV, it worked. Plugged my RJ45 ethernet into one HR24, hit the internet, and pronounced it good to go.

Of course, this disabled MRV but I didn't figure that out for a while.

Would I be better off to:

PLAN A - Get a DECA and PS. RJ45 over to the SWM. Install DECA and PS, attach RJ45, good to go with the HR24's communicating solely over RG6.

PRO - I think this is the supported setup.
CON - I'd need a DECA and PS. $50 - $60 and I won't have it tomorrow when I have time for this project.

PLAN B - One router port to HR24 "A" via RJ45. A second to HR24 "B" via RJ45. No changes to RG6 wiring.

PRO - As a network guy, it "seems" this is more technically correct, with my HR24's ethernet traffic going over a mainstream ethernet transport. And I have tons of cable.
CON - Not supported, and ???

THANKS!

Also, new to forum, happy to give back by answering any questions on equipment leasing, vehicle leasing, or Mac OS X.

They said something about using a dish that has SWM built-in? Does that mean I would need a cable from the dish for each DVR location?

I'll have 2 of the HR24s initially, but if I wanted to add a 3rd receiver it sounds like this would mean adding a cable run all the way to the dish. Maybe I'm just not understanding yet how this all works. :)

I would PREFER to have a cable pulled to my closet where the router, switch, patch panel, and all that stuff resides so that I minimize the amount of cables and wires right at the DVR location. If I am starting to understand the DECA setup, I believe they can just put the DECA right there at my router and either plug it directly into the router or plug it into my 24-port gigabit switch.

When you get Whole House DVR service MRV/DECA they will install a SWiM LNB Slimline dish. A single cable comes from the dish and runs to a green labeled splitter. From their a single cable will run to each receiver, DVR or otherwise. A cable should also go from the splitter to your router location and connect to a DECA module with power supply. An Ethernet cable connects the DECA to your router. If you have HR24 DVR's or H24 receivers, there are no DECA modules to connect behind them, they have DECA built in. All others will have a DECA module behind the receiver and an ethernet cable connect the DECA to the receiver/DVR.

SWiM also requires a power supply which will be connected near one of the receivers.

Does that clear it up or make it a little more muddy?? This image shows several different variations if that helps...
directv_deca_swm_installation_diagram__36043__94291__36762__22876__11791_zoom.jpg

My scenario - Installed 9/25 by an installer who was, to be generous, still in the steep part of the learning curve.

Two HD-DVRs (oddly, one shows as an HR24-100 and one as an HR24-200, is there a difference?). RG6 from each to the SWM and ground. RG6 to the dish.

Installer tested MRV, it worked. Plugged my RJ45 ethernet into one HR24, hit the internet, and pronounced it good to go.

Of course, this disabled MRV but I didn't figure that out for a while.

Would I be better off to:

PLAN A - Get a DECA and PS. RJ45 over to the SWM. Install DECA and PS, attach RJ45, good to go with the HR24's communicating solely over RG6.

PRO - I think this is the supported setup.
CON - I'd need a DECA and PS. $50 - $60 and I won't have it tomorrow when I have time for this project.

PLAN B - One router port to HR24 "A" via RJ45. A second to HR24 "B" via RJ45. No changes to RG6 wiring.

PRO - As a network guy, it "seems" this is more technically correct, with my HR24's ethernet traffic going over a mainstream ethernet transport. And I have tons of cable.
CON - Not supported, and ???

THANKS!

Also, new to forum, happy to give back by answering any questions on equipment leasing, vehicle leasing, or Mac OS X.

Call DirecTV back and tell them they didn't install it correctly. They should supply the DECA module and power supply. They should run RG6 to your router location from the splitter, install the DECA module and power supply and connect to your router with a short ethernet cable.

You could do the other unsupported version, but in my own case I found an improvement in MRV speed and reliability when I got it off my wired network and put it on it's own stand alone DECA cloud..

Call DirecTV back and tell them they didn't install it correctly. They should supply the DECA module and power supply. They should run RG6 to your router location from the splitter, install the DECA module and power supply and connect to your router with a short ethernet cable.

You could do the other unsupported version, but in my own case I found an improvement in MRV speed and reliability when I got it off my wired network and put it on it's own stand alone DECA cloud..

Helpful, thank you.

Followup question. I don't see a benefit of a short ethernet cable compared to a 299m ethernet cable, and I already have a cat6e 25m cable to one DVR location. Can the DECA install there in-line to the DVR and insert ethernet at that point?

I realize they would run the RG6, but I'd prefer to not have the house endure another run if possible.

THANKS

Helpful, thank you.

Followup question. I don't see a benefit of a short ethernet cable compared to a 299m ethernet cable, and I already have a cat6e 25m cable to one DVR location. Can the DECA install there in-line to the DVR and insert ethernet at that point?

I realize they would run the RG6, but I'd prefer to not have the house endure another run if possible.

THANKS

Yep, should be able to. Although they tried that at my house and had some issues. They were connecting to a switch at my patch panel. I don't know what the issue was, they moved it to my office where my router was before I had a chance to discuss it with them. I was only the second MRV/DECA install these installers had done....they were still learning. It should work fine in your case.

Solved.

DirecTV CSR would not send a DECA or a tech without a $50 service charge and $50 I'm-not-sure-what-she-meant charge.

Ordered a DECA and PS from Solid Signal. Realized too late that I needed a splitter (thought the DECA went in-line with receiver), fortunately had a brand-new 5-2500mhz splitter left over from cable tv days.

So LNB goes to original SWM splitter with ground.

Power leg of SWM goes to power inserter and first HD24.

Other leg of SWM goes to new splitter, those legs go to DECA and second HR24.

DECA powered by power supply, ethernet to router.

DONE. One HR24 required reboot, one did not, MRV, VOD, Apps, iPhone scheduling etc. all working!!!

Thanks for the help. I really preferred buying the DECA rather than arguing the charges away and still needing to be home for the installer.

I just want to make sure I can put a splitter where I think I can so I can add a deca.

Currently my setup from the wall goes like this:
cable from wall goes in swm power module. another cable from the swm power module goes to my HR24.

Am I correct in assuming I can put a regular ol' splitter after the swm power module to feed the HR24 and my new deca for internet?
(Wall--SWM power module--splitter < hr24 and deca)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)