HR24 Deletes on its Own

Status
Please reply by conversation.

jibber1

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jan 31, 2011
santa monica
[FONT=&quot]My DTV HR24 receiver deletes video files and folders all on its own. For example, sometimes when I delete a single video file, the HR24 will delete the entire folder the file was in. I’ve recently lost three folders that each had over 20 video files. My Recording Default settings are set to “both” “all episodes” and “keep until I delete it.” My hard drive is still over 70% unused. Another way the HR24 deletes file or folders is that sometimes when I delete a file, the next screen will for some odd reason ask me a second time if I want to delete or keep. At first I thought the first time I selected delete, the HR24 simply didn’t do it, so it’s asking me again if I want to confirm that I wanted to delete that same file I thought I just deleted. No so! The HR24 has mysteriously selected some other file or folder that I don’t want to delete, but I can’t see that because the Playlist is not on the screen. I learned the hard way not to select delete if I’m asked a second time if I want to delete something. What outrages me the most after loosing countless hours of material that was important to me, is that DTV offers no way to recover deleted data. If my computer can have a recycle bin from which data can be recovered, these crummy DTV receivers can too, and it is a crime that they don’t. Shame on you DTV.[/FONT]

Never EVER keep something you WANT/NEED on the HD DVR's ...
IF your recvr dies, you will STILL be out all your shows, just the way it is.
IF you change your EHD from one machine to a different one the DVR reformats the EHD so it can be used on the new box.

I too would do a reset from the Menus, like JD mentioned, this is like shutting off your comuter the proper way vs unplugging it.

Menu-Set Up-System Set Up-Reset-Restart Recvr.- dash

I had a similar problem. I recorded all 11 episodes of Dexter Season 5. On my playlist, it indicated that each would expire on 3/8/11. On 3/2/11, the first 5 episodes were deleted on their own. I had seen only 3 of them. I talked to a tech and she indicated that she thought the expiry date of 3/8/11 was actually the last date the episodes could be recorded. She also said that according to the agreement with the owners of the programs, they can delete any programs any time after they have been recorded. I checked the available Dexter episodes in the system and it was the same as mine -- the last 6 episodes were the only ones available -- so where were the other 5 that could be ordered by 3/8/11? It was a bummer to miss 2 of the 11 episodes -- for what reason???

Is this what the OP is referring to VOD programs being deleted ?

I thought he was talking about regular recordings....
It's entirely possible that each VOD recording you make has a expiration on it ..... I'm currently having internet connection issues with my set up so I can't look at mine to verify, but it sounds reasonable.
If you have a regular program recorded and set to "Keep till I Delete" it should STAY until you remove it.

Thats NOT a D* issue, IF thats the case.

Question for Jimbo

"IF you change your EHD from one machine to a different one the DVR reformats the EHD so it can be used on the new box."

I don't know what EHD means. Can you tell me more about changing the EHD to a different machine? Thanks!

I guess I'm the OP. No, I'm not talking about VOD. It's regualr files and folders that are being deleted by my HR24. Just happened again yesterday. I instructing the HR24 to delete one specific file in a folder and it's deleting the whole folder. Can an EHD back up my files and folders so they can't be deleted? Thanks!

HR24 Deketes on its Own

Jimbo, I guess I'm the OP. Sorry, I'm brand new. I'm not talking about VOD. My HR24 deletes regular programs on its own; actually meaning entire folders. What do you use to back up your DVR? I'm told a EHD won't work because the receiver will delete from it, also. A EHD expert told me that DTV is supposedly coming out with a new DVR that will have a recycle bin to recover deleted videos. Has anybody heard anything like that? Thanks.

The only way to back up programs is with a DVD recorder connected to an analog output. Your receiver is malfunctioning. If restarting doesn't fix it, you can go into the setup menu and select "reset everything." You will lose all recorded programs but it resets the DVR to factory specs. Last resort before asking for a new one.

Which DVD Recorder?

Thanks Wildbill and all the others -- I'm looking at the Panasonic DMR-EZ28K and the Toshiba D-R570. Does anyone have any ideas about what DVR they think is best? Thanks.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)