HR24/H24 location choice?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

huckyourmeat

Original poster
Dec 10, 2010
Denver
Hey everyone, first post here. Just signed up today at Best Buy and got the Choice Extra package, one HD DVR, one HD receiver, and one SD receiver. My question is: is there a difference between the HR24 and the H24 other than the actual physical DVR inside, assuming I'll have whole home DVR?

Here's the reason: my internet connection is upstairs, next to our 37" TV. Downstairs, in the media room, is our 50" TV, surround sound, etc. This is the preferred location for watching TV, especially movies and CinemaPlus (or OnDemand, or whatever).

I'd be happy if one of you could help answer my questions before my install next week:
1. Is there a compelling reason to put the HD DVR right next to the internet connection, or is that a moot point with the DECA/MRV and the HD-Only box hooked up to it?
2. Are there other differences with the HR24 that make it more desirable in the preferred downstairs location--software, interface, remote, etc? If it's "nicer", I'd like to have it downstairs if at all possible.

Thanks for the great resource in this forum! It's one of the reasons I finally decided to make the plunge after shopping around for the last 6 months. I can't wait to make the call to Comcrap to cancel!

First off, :welcome to Satelliteguys!

Did you order the mrv option? I ask because I can't tell from your post if you actually ordered it or not. Either way, I don't think it matters, but I don't have mrv so I'll leave that answer to someone who does. Good luck!

1) The internet connection is through the Deca which has its own Coax from the SWM splitter. Ideally, your internet connection would be near a coax outlet not connected to anything and out of site because the DECA and its cables are kind of ugly and difficult to make look clean. If you have a dedicated IT closet or shelf in a closet would be best case scenario. They'll want to set the DECA right next to your router.

2) Your SD receiver won't work with MRV. Upgrade it to an HD receiver to get MRV at all TVs. The HD receiver works great with SD TVs.

3) Personally, I'd locate the H24 at the TV I do all my watching and I'd put the HR24 at the TV least used. This way, you can still watch something live on your main tv in the event you are recording 2 things at once already. This happens to me 4 days a week in the evenings.

I would recommend you ditch the SD receiver entirely and get a second HR24 (will be an additional $199 up front, but no additional monthly charge over the SD box) That will give you a lot of flexibility in recording (up to 4 simultaneous recordings, but as badtlc said, schedule using the least used DVR first), plus it will give you live TV DVR functions on your media room TV as well. You can also watch anything that is recorded on any DVR on any MRV receivers, and you can also schedule recordings from non-DVR receivers. On Demand downloads can only be initiated from a DVR (for now - hopefully that will change). But once the download has started, it shows up in the DVR list on all MRV connected receivers, and it can be watched as it downloads (provided your internet connection is fast enough to keep up - at least 1-3Mbps down).

Thanks for the info, guys. I'll probably take your advice and get an additional HD DVR. I didn't know if it'd display correctly on the SDTV so thank for clearing that up.

I also suppose that I should call and make sure that the MRV is on the order. I got a really good deal through Best Buy, but the guy seemed a little too interested in making the sale. I should probably call and make sure he entered everything correctly.

One last question, which I think I know the answer to: you can't pause, rewind, etc. on a non-dvr box, correct?

Live TV no. MRV recordings yes.

As for the HD DVR, yes they will display just fine on an SDTV. You just have to make sure it is set to 4:3 output. Also, for simplicity, you might want to just avoid watching HD channels on that box. SD channels will always display properly, but HD channels can run into letterboxing/pillarboxing/cropping issues, depending on how the channel is sending the video. That can get a little annoying having to change those settings repeatedly.

huckyourmeat said:
Thanks for the info, guys. I'll probably take your advice and get an additional HD DVR. I didn't know if it'd display correctly on the SDTV so thank for clearing that up.

I also suppose that I should call and make sure that the MRV is on the order. I got a really good deal through Best Buy, but the guy seemed a little too interested in making the sale. I should probably call and make sure he entered everything correctly.

One last question, which I think I know the answer to: you can't pause, rewind, etc. on a non-dvr box, correct?

No pause live tv on HD but just hit the record button when you want to pause and rewind to beginning.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)