HR24 & H24 receiver - need help with SD & HD picture quality

Status
Please reply by conversation.

prashp1

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jul 6, 2009
CT
Hello. I got Directv installed recently. I had Dish Network before. The HD and SD channels on Dish were awesome at 720p.
On Directv for the SD channels, picture is not as clear as it should be. It has blur or kind of pixels in them.
For the HD channels, picture looks good but not as it should be.
I have tried all the settings for the formatting.....Original, Pillar Box, etc... I am using HDMI cable to connect to 1080p HDTV. The signal strength is really good upper 90's.

Did you try changing out the hdmi cable?
Using the format button keep pressing it until you get to 1080i original format. If that doesn't work try a different hdmi port on tv & also swap out for component cables. Many things are possibly going on, it boils down to the process of elimination. If it is a swm lnb I have personally had my share of bad lnbs, intermittent goofy stuff, signal loss, pixelation, etc.

Have you made sure that your receivers are set to send HD to your set? Sometimes they are preset to 480i or 480p.

D* gives HD channels significantly more bandwidth than does E*. I've compared both and the D* channels picture quality is much better. I did have to recalibrate when moving between D* and E* to get the best picture from both. Couldn't use the same settings on my TV.

Don't know about the relative quality difference on the SD channels.

You should not notice a huge difference in SD quality coming from Dish Network. I do have to give Dish the slight edge in SD PQ, but the HD PQ on DirecTV exceeds that of Dish on a larger TV set. If you are getting a signal from the HDMI cable that you have and it is not jumpy or anything like that, your cable should be fine. It seems that you must not have the DirecTV receiver ouputting the proper resolution for HDTV. As as been stated before, flip through the available resolutions on the format button in the top lefthand corner of the remote control.

Are you sure that even though you may be tuned to an "HD channel" maybe the programming on at the time you are watching it isn't HD?

What make & model TV?

What channels?

What programming?

The SD channels are much better at Native "ON" at 480p. HD is good too now. Which resolution is better to leave for HD 720p or 1080i?

I have heard for faster action 720p is better. For slow movement's 1080i is better. Thanks

Which setting is better depends upon your TV. With many TVs it is best to set your D* DVR to Native and let the TV handle the conversions. If your TV has lower end electronics, then it is possible that your DVR can do this better so you could try both the 720p and 1080i options and go with the one that you feel works better.

Some of D*'s HD channels use the 720p format, others use 1080i. If you use the Native setting, then it will pass along those channels in their native resolutions to your TV.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)