HR24 MRV & SWM QUESTION

Status
Please reply by conversation.

scoop8

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 31, 2009
Dallas TX
I have a question on behalf of a friend that recently had an HR24 installed at his house and is asking me about the 5-tuner capability with his HR24 setup.

My friend recently upgraded from a non-SWM single-tuner H21 in his main viewing room to an SWM HR24 install (1 downlead was his main requirement in his home) install in the main viewing room. The installer relocated the original H21 into his den.

He requested a SL5 SWM dish but the original installers had some problem with a mis-communication regarding the orignal Work Order request and installed a SL3 instead at my friend's house. My friend called DTV and another installer replaced the SL3 with the SL5 today and that part of my friend's original install has been corrected. The 2nd installer told my friend that the HR24 has 2 tuners, and not 5. However, that's not the case, right? I told my friend that I've read here and also read an HR24 PDF manual which states that the HR24 has 5 tuners.

Here is my friend's current setup: He has the HR24 in his main viewing room. He has an H21 in his den.

He watched the installers as they installed his upgrade and didn't see them install a Power Inserter during the install although there's a chance that the installers did place the Power Inserter behind his main TV set.

He currently does not have MRV service activated in his account. My understanding is that this must be activated in order to use the 5-tuner capability with his HR24 box.

Does the 5-tuner capacity allow the capability to record 5 channels simultaneously, assuming that MRV service is enabled?

Or does the ability of recording 5 different channels require a 2nd remote DVR box in his den?

Also, is the Power Inserter required with a non-MRV SWM install? My friend's HR24 is functioning like a standard install, ie, the old 2-downlead install, able to record one channel while watching another, or record 2 channels simultaneously.

The HR24 has exactly two satellite tuners in it. No more, no less. Two external OTA tuners can be added at extra cost.

The HR34 (now Genie) has five satellite tuners.

A power inserter is required with any SWiM (Single Wire Multiswitch) installation such as your friend's.

The HR24 is a two tuner dvr, the HR34 has five. MRV has nothing to do with whether or not the HR34s five tuners all work. The power inserter is only used with a swm type lnb. Have your friend press the dash button. It will tell him if he has a swm setup.

Harsh & Chip,

Thanks for the replies. I had the HR24 & 34 mixed up with the tuner info.

I guess my friend's Power Inserter was installed behind his main TV home ent. furniture or somewhere where he didn't see it installed by the tech.

I told my friend that I'd get fast accurate info here and I wasn't surprised at all :). You guys are amazing. Thanks again and

snnl74.jpg

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)