HR2X / R22 CE Release for the weekend of 11.27

I dont think so. I think mrv will improve when they figure out a way to buffer the stream without violating the Do Not Copy bit, or get the priorities straight in the box so that mrv is well fed, the recordings happen without hiccups, and the user interface is snappy. Right now they're streaming, but with end to end protection between the access card enrcyption, dtcp over the network and hdcp from there to the screen. If they store it on disk as a buffer, it'd be unencrypted and therefore probably a DNC violation. And the box doesnt have enough RAM to do any sort of effective buffer.

About all dlna certification would buy them is better interoperability with dlna servers on the network. Wont do much for dlna clients since those wont be able to do a dtcp key exchange with the receiver without something extra. I think its safe to say that directv wont be streaming to other dlna devices without 9000 lbs of encryption and end to end protection of the stream.

So my MRV experience with this CE is less of the splats but more of the pausing of the packet flow. I pinged CLIENT and then SERVER with my PC while streaming an hour long episode of "FRINGE" on Fox-LA KTTV via sat feed and got 0% packet loss and max latency of 4 mS, avg. 0mS. I observed several frozen frames and some partial tears in frames or distorted lines and one partial frame pixelated but no packet loss reported on ping or the ports associated with the MRV stream. No discards, errors, CRC align errors, fragments or packet loss to report, received or transmitted by managed switch port monitor.

I was hoping to find some latency or packet loss to explain the observed activity but seems whatever it is, it's occurring within the boxes themselves.