HR34 CE Release 6/29

I've seen a couple of you stating that the CE (which I'm assuming is a software upgrade) vastly improved the latency experienced when sending commands to the HR34. This is encouraging because I plan on ordering a DTV system this week and I've been torn on whether to get the HR34.

I know the HR34 has lots of benefits, but I also know that if I pressed 'Play' or tried to change a channel and it took 5-10 seconds to react I'd pull my hair out.

Did anyone who received the update NOT experience an instant improvement to latency when sending a command to the HR34?

I've seen a couple of you stating that the CE (which I'm assuming is a software upgrade) vastly improved the latency experienced when sending commands to the HR34. This is encouraging because I plan on ordering a DTV system this week and I've been torn on whether to get the HR34.

I know the HR34 has lots of benefits, but I also know that if I pressed 'Play' or tried to change a channel and it took 5-10 seconds to react I'd pull my hair out.

Did anyone who received the update NOT experience an instant improvement to latency when sending a command to the HR34?
Yes I would say the overall performance of the HR 34 has improved. It will only get better as the software matures for this particular dvr.CE stands for cutting edge and it's a beta test program. we're currently testing out software before its released to the public. Feel free to read more about it in this forum. http://www.satelliteguys.us/directv...2-directv-cutting-edge-program-terms-faq.html

Last edited:

please note that this is not common. Once in a while it does that. That was on the current national software.

Thanks for the replies.

I guess I'm going to try the HR34 and hope for quality software updates to be pushed to my receiver.

I worked at DISH for 6 years and remember how buggy the 622 and others were upon initial release. After several updates the 622 was a damn near flawless machine. It's not right to beta test on your customers but all CE companies do it.

caseyf57 said:
Hello JEFFinINDY,

A few things to try. Go to the DirecTV website and reauthorize your unit. If that does not work then try the Menu method. Menu > Settings & Help > Settings > Reset > Restart Receiver. This should put a new lineup. Top row Messages, Active and Game Lounge. Missing middle row TV Apps, YouTube and Pandora. Bottom row Music & Photos, Caller ID and Showroom. If it still does not show then try the RBR method. These are the last drastic methods to try to get the missing items. Good luck. :)

Well, none of those worked. I also notice that none of my on-demand channels are working either. I did Repeat Network Setup and it gets a correct IP address and says I'm connected to the Internet. But when I go to the Network Services page, the configuration type is automatic, and STB Services Port is N/A, as is Audio Services Port. When I click Connect Now it says Starting Network Services for about a minute, but then says Unable To Start Network Services (202).

Any thoughts? On Demand has worked in the past for me. Have I restarted things too often for today (one menu reset, a RBR, followed by another menu reset)?

Typically, there are CE's for the recvrs on Friday and Saturday nights ...
The HR34 is not ALWAYS part of them, the seem to skip around.
My thoughts are that they are working to make them better, but takes a bit more time and effort so they are not out every week.

Any chance the latest CE for the HR34 will be available again this week? I'd love to try it since I'm hearing of stability and responsiveness improvements, both of which are driving me nuts to the tune of one or more reboots per day!!

JEFFinINDY said:
Well, none of those worked. I also notice that none of my on-demand channels are working either. I did Repeat Network Setup and it gets a correct IP address and says I'm connected to the Internet. But when I go to the Network Services page, the configuration type is automatic, and STB Services Port is N/A, as is Audio Services Port. When I click Connect Now it says Starting Network Services for about a minute, but then says Unable To Start Network Services (202).

Any thoughts? On Demand has worked in the past for me. Have I restarted things too often for today (one menu reset, a RBR, followed by another menu reset)?

Update: VOD is working now, but still cannot start Network Services, and Pandora and YouTube are both missing.

Update: VOD is working now, but still cannot start Network Services, and Pandora and YouTube are both missing.

I lost internet too before. I pull the power (reboot) on that little tiny box with 3 green lights on it and it always comes back. I don't know what its called. Deca maybe?

Any chance the latest CE for the HR34 will be available again this week? I'd love to try it since I'm hearing of stability and responsiveness improvements, both of which are driving me nuts to the tune of one or more reboots per day!!

Sure theres a possibility ...
Just check the CE section Friday evening.

I am having the same problem, just two rows of Extras - Messages, Active, Game Lounge on first row.. then TV Apps, Caller ID, and Showroom on the second row. I have done menu and red button resets with no change. Does the receiver need a live internet connection at the time of reset to pull all the Extras? I also had no STB connection after reset, but it did connect once I did the manual test connection. I have the receiver set up on a static IP. I am on Software 0x575, downloaded Fr 6/29, 11:39p. Very strange..

I have the same issue as both of you and downloaded the update Saturday @ 11:40 PM. When it first booted up after download it said on a pop up sceen that I now had Pandora and You Tube but I have never seen either and when I reboot that message has never appeared again.

Did you do a search for "Iamanedgecutter" and select on keyword? I know you need to do that at least once to unlock new features in the CE software

youtube works on the HR34 now but VOD still has glitches.

Downloaded a couple music videos and they skip like a minute in the video.

weird....this morning I had to do a RBR. Turned on the HR34 and I had the banner at the top but a black screen. Tried 2 different channels and same thing. Waited 10 seconds ot so and nothing

RBR fixed it ;)

That is weird :) so far no problems here lets hope it stays that way :)

looks like one thing they fixed.

Since the HR34 can "scan" in locals not in the database (if you add a AM21) if you manually set timers on those channels (the guide just says regular programming) it use to give you a black screen for the whole recording time. It has worked the last couple times I recorded something off one of those stations.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)