HR54 and EHD's

Status
Please reply by conversation.

inazsully

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 15, 2010
Sun City West, AZ
Any advice as to brand and size. When I connect the EHD will the HR54 automatically recognize it. How has your experience using the HR54/EHD been?

They work seamlessly.
I use Western Digital in Thematake BlackX enclosure
HR 2* receivers are limited to 2 TB
I have a 6TB green WD in a HR 44
Green WD drives are now the Blue model
I know Red and Purple WD drives have been used.
When connected , receiver formats drive, can't swap between receivers but can disconnect and go back and forth between internal and external.
It's either / or but not both drives together

Doctor j

No. It has to be an esata drive, and as doctor j points out the best way is to get an esata enclosure and mount a drive inside it.

Reactions: jrcart
I highly recommend the WD Green AV line of drives, designed for DVR use. They may have replaced this with the purple line now.

My HR54 came with a WD10EURX which I replaced with a WD30EURS.
I have used the WD30EURS in an HR34, HR44, and now HR54, and never had any trouble. It is a drive designed for the 24/7 use of a DVR.

Depending on the model, you can get 3TB for a bit over $100:
Amazon product ASIN B00DXFEQGI
I installed mine internally and just kept the original drive in the event the DVR ever failed (or I upgrade and need to send it back).

Ouch, you mean the ehd cancels out the ihd? Wow, I never even considered that scenario. Seems odd that one company does that and another doesn't. Live and learn.

Coming from Dish I'm unsure about the enclosure. I've had several EHD's with my Hoppers which just involved attaching the EHD via usb cable. The EHD simply laid next to the DVR. Can somebody suggest a model number and where to order from.

Ouch, you mean the ehd cancels out the ihd? Wow, I never even considered that scenario. Seems odd that one company does that and another doesn't. Live and learn.
It's been this way since the beginning of using EHDs on these recvrs.
D* does it their way, many have hoped for a change, me included, making them hot swappable so you don't reformat when going to a new recvr would be nice, that way it's usable if you have to replace a recvr.
Dish has always been the more friendly option as far as EHDs go.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)