Hr54 and external power inserter

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

sstv

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Aug 2, 2007
Hi all
I need information on the correct wiring of a HR54 and a external PI. I know the HR54 has a internal PI but can be used with a external PI.
The info I get on the internet is somewhat confusing. Thanks
SSTV

fair warning, from my experience, if you do not use the internal PI, it will disable it. never found a way to turn it back on again (RBR didnt do it for me). just a heads up

Not my experience at all. Have moved to and from internal PI severl times.

Yes, but if you have other receivers or DVRs, they will go down if you have to reboot the HR54 for any reason.

I have read conflicting info on where the Hr54 coax hooks up with a external PI. Can any one show me the correct way
SSTV

Connect the external power inserter to the red power passing port on the splitter. Connect the Hr54 to any of the other ports on the splitter. Just like you would if it didn't have an internal PI.

what would happen if I hooked the HR54 ti the "SIGNAL TO IRD" port on thr PI. This is where the conflicts come from

To recap. The HR54 was hooked to the red port on the splitter .The other red port went to the lnb. The remaining port on the splitter went to the HR24. Last night both the HR54 and the HR24 were operating ok. Today I turned on the HR54 and all was well. Later in the day, I turned on the HR24 and it was a mess. I changed channels, turned the 24 off and on and it remained a mess.
I turned everything OFF, unhooked the coax from the 54 and hooked the coax to the PI. Plugged in the pi to the wall outlet and got a green light. I turned on the 24 and it now was working great. I ran a coax jumper from the PI to the 54 and its working great. I have no idea what happened overnite but using a external PI corrected it, so I'am going to leave it as is.
Thanks for all the help
SSTV

in *theory* since the "Signal to IRD" port does not pass power, the internal power inserter on the HR54 should have turned it self off. but i dont know if that side of the PI has the circuitry to block the power the way the splitters do on account of who would daisy chain a power inserter with another power inserter? so the PI may be getting fed power from the HR54 as well. if the PI or LNB burns out i guess we'll know.

in *theory* since the "Signal to IRD" port does not pass power, the internal power inserter on the HR54 should have turned it self off. but i dont know if that side of the PI has the circuitry to block the power the way the splitters do on account of who would daisy chain a power inserter with another power inserter? so the PI may be getting fed power from the HR54 as well. if the PI or LNB burns out i guess we'll know.
I don't think the Hr54 PI ever actually turns off, since the other splitter ports don't pass power there's no need to. But your question about the "signal to IRD" port is a good one, I have never seen anyone test it.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts