HSP Vs MSP--can somebody break it down

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

chadzx11

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 28, 2006
memphis
I just found out that somebody I know owns an MSP, and I am in their territory. I last worked for him when he was a E* retailer. I did some overflow work for him, and before that, our careers have been entertwined with a couple of other companies dating back to primestar.

I haven't installed a D* in over a year. I was contracting with perfect 10 for fullfilment work, along with another contract for a company that claims to be an "elite 5 retailer"----whatever that means. They pulled out of memphis with no notice, but I should have seen the writing on the wall (no advertising out of them for at least 8 months + 75% of my work was the sort of customer DirecTv has deemed not profitable). So I am used to doing fullfilment work.

What appealed to me about fullfillment work was:

1) no equipment to stock and inventory (or, get stolen off the truck, in Memphis).
2) no sales staff promising customers appointments.
3) setting my own schedule

key points:

4) no going behind other techs to clean up their messes or deal with their POd customers.

5) servicing only MY installs/customers

6) NO CHARGEBACKS for BS (this is what hacks me off about E*--if the customer messes up their system and they send somebody else to fix it, they charge the last guy out for it!!!!).

So what are the differences between HSP and MSP companies. I've been lurking in the search bar, trying to find the answer, but I can't find anywhere that it is laid out. Is there someone who can spell it out? I need to get back to being independant, plus I will get a 10% raise just by getting out from under these BS chargebacks (not for screwing up installs, but for stuff like the customer putting their TV on the wrong channel, one guy got hit for a customer who broke their wallplate and called in a SC on it---that is a $40 wall plate, ya'll! The worst part is E* charges for these service calls, but our company still charges us back)

Last edited:
dragon002 said:
chad,

MSP still has chargebacks. ill spell it all out later if you still want the MSP, HSP pros and cons

OK, but you just used the words HSP and pros in the same sentence. I see no pros working for the HSP that is here locally.

All of them have "chargebacks" my contract with P10 and the other stipulated a CB if I did anything that resulted in the customer breaking the agreement, which is a broad brush. Luckily, I never got hit with one. I think all it would have took was a customer saying "I don't like where he put my dish!". E* is just way too penny-ante with the crap. I didn't get any CBs on this check, and that nearly knocked me out of the saddle.

I'd like to know how the scheduling is done, and what is expected out in the field, especially vis a vis phone lines. In this DMA, my contracts called for me to notify the retailer or P10 if the customer DIDN'T have a landline. Never was an issue with P10, but the retailer I was representing finally said to hell with it, and directed me to do the install anyway, after initially calling me off the first dozen or so (which was kind of annoying. WTF does having a phone line have to do with having a satellite anyway. I've been at it for 10 years, and I still don't see why it matters).

Last edited:
You don't have to work? Its 9am and I ain't heard a thing about work today. I hate this! If you not gonna work me, let me know. I'm turning my cell off @ 930. This is rediculous.

HSP(home service provider) , yes they charge back and are leaning toward the way of most dNS outfits. Sad thing is that they are also trying to get the contractor to do things for free and pay them not much more then the techs that drive around in thier supplied vehicle, and yes you still provide all the cost of materiels,gas,insurance,and maintenance ect. Oh, and they like to send the contractor to all the places to be considered to far for their tech with thier supplied vehicle. So after you add it up you make alot less then thier in/house techs. MSP (master service provider) is what you use to do with perfect 10 for fullfilment work and others like it , they just all band together to form the now MSP , to compete with the HSP. due to they were getting the work. I did the same thing you did with fullfilment work metron, perfect 10 ect. Thier demise in my opinion (before they all band together) was that they were letting the contractors cutt each others throat by under bidding each other. contractors were doing fullfilment for as low as 40 dollars 1 IRD install (from what i heard). Well quality went out the window and that is why HSP were getting the work (my opinion). I stopped getting fullfilment due to the fact i would not go lower than 70. Funny thing happening is, that it is the HSP doing the low bidding now and the techs are paying the price for it. In time quality will soon go out the window as well (from what i read on this site from customers, it has already begun). Now for the MSP i also heard that they are charging back for phone line as well (like the HSP) Dont know if true (ask dragon002) but i also hear they pay much better than HSP (you learn by your mistakes) from what fullfilment use to be, Cheap. You get what you pay for the way i look at it, again just my opinion.

Last edited:
stevo/65 said:
You get what you pay for the way i look at it, again just my opinion.

That's no joke. Try telling that to customers, though. They want Lexus quality for Geo metro pricing. Personally, if I need something done cheap, I do it myself. If I need.....quality, I'll pay for it.

*edit*
Belay that.....based on what I read here, my interest in the MSP program just withered on the vine.

*edit, edit*
Lots of interesting comments on MSP's here. The person that I know is Ted Barnes, at TB consulting. In the previous contracts I've had with Ted, he jacked P10s contract (I even found in one where he forgot to change the name, LOL!). I have 2 sticking points with this, 3 if you count pay. #1 phone lines. I'm not a phone tech, but I hooked them up with primestar. I quit when the Gaebo D*s came out, too many problems with the caller id, and those modems seizing phone lines. I think I may start offering that service again, but not for free. #2 I don't get to schedule or route my own work, but am penalized if they over book. Nice try. I don't see how MSP installers make any money, and if HSPs pay less, then holy cow!

*edit, Edit, edit*

LMAO @ $45 installs

Last edited:
chadzx11 said:
That's no joke. Try telling that to customers, though. They want Lexus quality for Geo metro pricing. Personally, if I need something done cheap, I do it myself. If I need.....quality, I'll pay for it.

*edit*
Belay that.....based on what I read here, my interest in the MSP program just withered on the vine.

*edit, edit*
Lots of interesting comments on MSP's here. The person that I know is Ted Barnes, at TB consulting. In the previous contracts I've had with Ted, he jacked P10s contract (I even found in one where he forgot to change the name, LOL!). I have 2 sticking points with this, 3 if you count pay. #1 phone lines. I'm not a phone tech, but I hooked them up with primestar. I quit when the Gaebo D*s came out, too many problems with the caller id, and those modems seizing phone lines. I think I may start offering that service again, but not for free. #2 I don't get to schedule or route my own work, but am penalized if they over book. Nice try. I don't see how MSP installers make any money, and if HSPs pay less, then holy cow!

*edit, Edit, edit*

LMAO @ $45 installs

chadzx11,

You know Ted? Did you know his business Cowboy Malones in Jackson, MS was the FIRST to sell a Directv system in the whole USA? Ted is a great guy. He owns TB and Cowboy Malones and he was one of the few companys that picked up the business of IP when they went out.

If its the same Ted.....The one I know--we worked together (and made lots of money) @ Primestar, CommCraft, Direct Digital, and I did some overflow at his E* company National when I lived in Monroe. They were still new, and not ready to take on this area when I moved. I had to get away from Monroe, because working out of DDs store was way too complicated. Getting equipment from them to install their sales was such a pain that I rented a storage building a mile away and loaded it up just so I wouldn't have to deal with them on a daily basis. I moved almost as soon as I discovered they were drop shipping equipment to national customers.

He is one of the few people I would cut some slack on the money end, however, knowing him, he has used P10s contract verbatim, and I ain't signing THAT contract for THAT money. If they (P10, D*, or whoever) want phone lines at no charge to the customer for that money, they need to put some ads out in Mexico.

chadzx11 said:
If they (P10, D*, or whoever) want phone lines at no charge to the customer for that money, they need to put some ads out in Mexico.
They are already doing it to the autoworkers, Ford, GM ect. I dont even consider Ford, Gm an american made or american product anymore

Status
Please reply by conversation.