Original poster
Supporting Founder
Pub Member / Supporter
Oct 13, 2003
Jacksonville, FL, Earth
Just saw this tonight:

Verizon now has the much talked about TP2-

Here are some of the specs on their web site:

* EV–DO, 1X RTT capable (Rev. A capable); GSM Quad Band (GSM/GPRS/EDGE); UMTS/WCDMA/HSDPA/HSUPA
* Windows Mobile® 6.1 Professional OS
* HTC Touch FLO 3D Navigation
* Microsoft® Office Mobile: Create and edit Word Mobile and Excel® files; view (not create) in PowerPoint® Mobile; create notes with OneNote® Mobile; Adobe® Reader® PDF viewer
* Qualcomm MSM7600A Processor, 528MHz
* Memory: Flash: 512MB; RAM; 288MB
* Wi–Fi Connectivity (802.11 b/g)
* Bluetooth® Wireless Technology (v2.1)
* Mobile Broadband Connect capable
* Browser: Opera® Mobile
* 3.6" Tilt, Touch–sensitive Display: 480x800 pixel WVGA resolution; 64K color support TFT–LCD
* Slide–out QWERTY Keyboard
* 3.2 megapixel camera with auto–focus and video capture
* 3.5mm 4–Pole Headset Jack
* microSD™ memory slot (up to 16GB)
* Straight Talk™ Speakerphone
* Windows Media® Player Mobile

* Voice command capable
* Text, Picture and Video messaging (MMS)
* Fast access to YouTube™ and Facebook®
* Visual Voice Mail
* VZ Navigatorsm Global Capable
* ActiveSync® capable (v4.5) and Windows Mobile Device Center®
* Wireless Sync capable
* WordCard Mobile – business card reader
* Total Equipment Coverage is Available

Specifications

* Dimensions: 4.57" (H) x 2.33" (W) x 0.68" (D)
* Weight: 6.35 ounces
* Standard Battery: 1500 mAh
* Usage Time: Up 318 minutes OR
* Standby Time: Up to 324 hours
* SAR: Head: 1.41 W/kg; Body: 0.589 W/Kg
* Hearing Aid Compatibility = M3

* Windows Mobile® 6.1 Professional
* Domestic/International Voice, Messaging & Email Service (Global SIM pre–installed)
* Text, Picture and Video Messaging
* Global Ready
* VZ Navigatorsm Global Capable
* Email
* GPS
* Visual Voice Mail

Play with one

Best of all it's only $199 and I'm eligible now for the upgrade! I guess I might have one before you digiblur. :)

Please tell me what this Verizon version is missing. BTW- The GPS system includes traffic updates to the map.

Says it is on backorder???? I got an e-mail offering me to upgrade but what's the point if it is not available?

I don't think the thing is gimped this time... and yes, you'll have one before me ;)

I'm in no hurry though... I waiting at least until they bust it open, no way could I go with a stock ROM since I'm so used to custom ROMS.

digiblur- If you get one, I'd like to know how you like the camera without the flash? I use my flash on the 6800 often to get decent indoor pictures, including as a light when shooting video. The HTC TP2 does not have a light. Also, I understand that it doesn't come with the second camera for skype video. :(

Played with the Android and just didn't really like... I'm hooked on WinMo with the apps and customization you can do.

I'm going to miss the light... I didn't use it for pictures much as I really don't take video or pictures with my phone much. I use the HTorch flash light app quite a bit though!!! Going to be a bummer there.

The new every 2 program allows me to upgrade to the TP2 for $99. BUT, they still are out of stock. Told me I could try it for free for 30 days and return it if I didn't like it. I'll let you know if I pull the trigger on this, when it's in stock of course..

I also discovered I have an old rate for my data plan that is only $30. If I downgrade or upgrade my service ( nothing to do with the phone upgrade) I will lose the $30 price and be charged the new data plan rate of $44.95. I was thinking of downgrading my service minutes since I no longer need it. Would only save me $15 per month. Just not worth it.

The $45/mo data plan is the one that allows tethering and/or the sort of setup that allows access to an Exchange type server. Do you need that ? There is still a $30/mo data plan that WinMobile and BB phones have to get (today).

I have the tethering too, but the price is on the old contract. I suppose that is why my contract also is limited to 5Gb. Someone else here said that the phone is not limited but a call to Verizon disagreed with them. The deal is if I reduce or change the plan I lose the $30 data rate and will have to pay the current rate of $45. I am a littler concerned, though, if I get a new phone and activate it whether the rates will still be locked in. I didn't think to ask that question.

Just be careful they don't "upgrade" your plan....

Wait though, you better check this: Verizon will sometimes restrict the newest phones to their "current" calling plans. That was the case with me when I upgraded my phone earlier this year. I couldn't get the latest phones they offered. I'm not even sure what plan we're on at the moment, but they tried and tried to convince me to upgrade.... In the end, my question of "so, you want me to switch plans, pay $10/mo more, and get nothing different other than the name ?" got the point across. :D I think one rep even said "but it's our current plan" and suggested my plan was "obsolete" !

Yeah, some of the newer "smart" or even "touch" phones require their newer plans. We upgraded one of our phones last month and had to "upgrade" to a newer plan. Our old plan had 1000 minutes and was a good amount for us. For the same price now, it was a plan with 700 minutes. The next step up was 1400 minutes for $10 more! Needless to say, we are paying $10 more. :( But my wife has her new phone: Samsung Rogue :)

Got sprint instead of verizon, but got the TouchPro2 a couple days ago, upgraded form the reg. touch pro. Nice upgrade, love the bigger screen! Also has some improvements to the software (haven't messed with custom rom's in a couple years).

I paid sprint $199 and sold my touchpro to a friend who needed a better phone for $150 - so I'm happy.

I would like to drop my calling minutes back to 450 which is Verizon's lowest plan. Thing is, since I have unloaded one of my clients, it saves me 700 minutes a month! He would call and yak endlessly about everything. I can get by with 300 minutes a month now but my plan is 1350.

The HTC TP2 just became available again after being out of stock for several weeks.

For a hundred bucks, I decided to try it and ordered one. Guess I beat you this time, digiblur. :)

I just hope I didn't jump too soon, from what I understand the TP2 is very popular and hard to keep in stock. BUT, I see the Droid is really interesting. Might be best to let the bugs work out on that one first.

I posted my impressions of the two Droid models I demoed at the Verizon store today in another thread. Let's just say I was disappointed in the ergonomics and the responsiveness but felt it was adequate in all other areas.

I spend nearly all of yesterday putting my collection of applications on the TP2 and it was quite a chore. Many needed some changes to the way I use them and some didn't work at all. :(

The cool think is Google Maps worked like a champ and I was using it with great resolution in hybrid view walking around the back yard. Then I set up a trip route of a 1000 miles and it executed the turns list within seconds. The screen redraw of the Navigation on Google was very fast keeping up with driving down the road at 60 mph. I was impressed! Also, the Google Maps integrates very nicely with my contacts list.

The one application I had that does not work is TomTom Navigator. I had version 5. It will not load due to the larger screen size. However some research on the forums I got a reworked Cab file that loaded 7 but it killed my BT permanently. Then another hacker had a cab that fixed that so I loaded that and now I have TomTom Navigator version 7 and BT working, BUT, there are no maps that I can find that work with this version and the US. Only Europe and Mexico and So. America. You might wonder why I would need TomTom GPS. The reason is all the little GPS systems, including Verizon's own Navigator require a broadband internet connection to work. I'f I'm away fro an active 3G area, like out in the desert, I'll have no maps. That is not good. So far I have no solution, and have given up on this for now. I could carry my old XV6800 but unfortunately, TomTom in their great wisdom won't allow the software to work unless the phone is activated, so even my old version is not defunct!

The voice recorder I use to record phone calls still works by holding the send key down and holding it.

The pinball game I ha works much better on the TP2 but I had to reprogram the left and right paddle keys from the VX6800 to screen areas where I tap the screen. That surprised me as I didn't know the software would deal with no hard keys. Virtual Pool game also loaded and works great. It doesn't stick like it used to on the 6800.

Opera lacks some features including Flash but I had to manually download that plugin and haven't done that yet. However java websites work fine which allows me to operate my security cams like I need to.

Sling Player loaded onto my TP2 and I was able to program it fine but the HD channels do not completely fill the wide screen. The faster response time of the TP2 allows the sling playback to run at higher frame rates and via EVDO speeds, I typically was running at 670kbps at 26-29 fps.

The screen zoom control works very fast and is as responsive as an iphone.

I had trouble with my stock quotes software. The screen graphics size is chopping off each line and then bunching up the list to the top. This app will need fixed before I can use it. The phone comes with it's own stock realtime quotes that tie in with Yahoo Finance, so I may just use that instead.

I could not get weather.com's radar to work but I'll bet this has to do with the flash plugin. Once I get that loaded, I'll probably be able to run many more websites.

So far I miss not having a screen drawing tool like the XV6800 had. I liked jotting down notes on the screen as typing them was too cumbersome, especially when I needed to draw a project with dimensions. This may be there but I haven't found out how to turn it on yet.
Some of these apps are in windows buried and need to be accesses with File manager to install.

Speaking of File Manager- The windows folder is so loaded with files it takes almost 5 minutes to display. This must be the htc special features as WM6.1 on my xv6800 wasn't that bloated.

BTW- I wish to thank digiblur as he led the way for me to even look at this upgrade. Overall I am very impressed with the improvements. Now I just have to recover some of my older applications that don't seem to work well. TomTom, screen draw note pad, stock portfolio and flash on Opera.

Oh- before closing, I have to mention that I ordered the special AV cable that allows you to run your TP2 screen to a TV set for large display. The cable I bought allows you to plug in a charger while connecting to the TV and mini USB port.
Also order a spare battery, 16Gb micro SD card, and a cradle that charges the phone, with audio take off, and charges a spare battery outside the phone.

Edit-

Just got Sprite backup checked out and it works fine on the TP2.

Last edited:
Check out some of the WM 6.5 ROMS with Manilla 2.5 (weather on the home screen), plus you get Windows Marketplace with a few apps to choose from.

ManilaHome2.png

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)