Sprint Hero Rooted!

Hey Linda,

It's basically the same as Unlocking a phone. Like many of us did/do with our WinMo phones.

Got my Hero rooted and I used my newfound SU power to remove some of the junk apps that come pre-installed.

Phone seems a bit snappier, but it just might be my imagination.

Was it difficult to do? And do you recommend it for others?

I am not sure how much benefit i would get. Cell South doesnt load alot of junk on their phones. Really the only thing I think they loaded was the Discover Center app, which I am keeping, and the Text for Help app.

Took all of 2 minutes to root. Took longer to download the android SDK, USB driver and the script someone wrote to do the actual root from the phone.

Mainly it just involves some basic linux commands that a non-command line person can easily follow.

After having root access, you can get into the command shell and then run RM commands on apps you don't want (better make sure you know what they do etc). However over at XDA, people are making a list of files they have removed without issue. I made a copy of mine before removing fully.

over all it involves a bit more work then the hardspl stuff I was used to with winmo phones, but still easy. Matter of fact over at XDA, someone posted overnight a simplified script to do most of the work for people I believe. not 100% since I did mine the manul way.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)