HTC touch pro Verizon

JamesJ

AKA Stuart628
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Jul 21, 2004
Akron (Cleveland), Oh
Anyone using this? are you satisfied with it, I have been doing Some SERIOUS phone jumping lately, as nothing will compare with my old VX6700, and XV6800, those were AWESOME phones, I have a storm now, that locks up because of memory loss, and loses music throughout the day, so I am looking to scratch my itch again and find the perfect phone (yes i have a iphone for business use, but that soon maybe going away due to some deals we cut with verizon, but thats another story.) also I have a 6.5 rom I can throw on the touch pro, wondering if its worth it.

The Verizon Touch Pro is neutered in a few ways just like they did with the 6800. But of course the geeks at xda-developers and ppcgeeks allow you to overcome this.

If you liked the 6800 then you'll LOVE the TouchPro. I went from the 6800 on Sprint to the TouchPro and wouldn't go back. I've played with a lot of phones...blackberries, iphones, and many other smart phones. Without a doubt I wouldn't have anything else other than maybe the Touch Pro 2. ;)

I'd hold off on the WinMo 6.5 stuff right now unless you like to play. Most of those are beta ROMs thrown together. I let the others play with them for a bit and tweak them. I just upgraded to a 6.1 ROM with the new TouchFlo 3D version 2 interface. Very nice! I've only had my TouchPro and flashed it about 5 or 6 times already due to all the new features these guys are coming out with all the time. Glad I have my auto-install setup that runs my customizations, email account setup, and other apps after I flash.

I have the sprint version, I am running a mightyrom and love it. No problems at all that were phone related. I think it's a nice upgrade from my 6800. I won't run 6.5 yet, I need my phone daily can't have it be running 6.5 cause I am not sure of how it will function with it yet.

only thing I REALLY miss is the little scoll wheel.

I have the sprint version, I am running a mightyrom and love it. No problems at all that were phone related. I think it's a nice upgrade from my 6800. I won't run 6.5 yet, I need my phone daily can't have it be running 6.5 cause I am not sure of how it will function with it yet.

only thing I REALLY miss is the little scoll wheel.

I do miss the scroll wheel a little bit. But the scroll wheel on this phone is ok but it is kinda weird doing it on the front of the phone. The extra row of keys on the keyboard is a nice feature.

I just need to find the registry entry on IE to change it back to the previous display version. The text is small to read on the 2007 PDA mode here and I don't really like the other schemes here.

I have the Alltel version and haven't had any major problems. I have just missed some calls for some reason and Alltel told me it's the phone. I am going to do a hard reset tonight and see if that clears it up. Other than that I love it. I haven't flashed any new Roms on it yet so I can't say anything about that.

what scares me is yall have other carriers, and I am reading Verizon really mucked it up with the crippling of theirs as it runs Really slow...and doing some reading at ppc and xda shows that they can speed it up some, but not really.

and what is tempting, is I know its not as GREAT as the touch pro, but I cant get the htc touch for free, whereas the touchpro is 329, or 369 I forget.

and what is tempting, is I know its not as GREAT as the touch pro, but I cant get the htc touch for free, whereas the touchpro is 329, or 369 I forget.

I wouldn't get the Touch. That basically the same as the 6800, except no keyboard, no wifi, with 128mb of RAM instead of 64mb. You are better off with the Storm compared to the Touch.

I got a great deal, and actually just bought a touch pro for the same price I can sell my storm, so I still have my upgrade through verizon when the new pda's start rolling out :)

now to read through thousands of threads on the best rom for verizon, and how to unlock gps

Yep. I'm still trying out a few ROMs myself. Kind of in between two....kind of like I was in the Mogul so I built my own. I'll probably do the same thing on this phone.

yep, I am looking at a 6.5 kitchen now, but you guys say dont go with those? and yes this will be my everyday phone.. by the way any chance windows mobile will be like blackbery with "instant" email and not something every 15 minutes.

yep, I am looking at a 6.5 kitchen now, but you guys say dont go with those? and yes this will be my everyday phone.. by the way any chance windows mobile will be like blackbery with "instant" email and not something every 15 minutes.

If productivity with your phone is important, avoid the 6.5 kitchen for now.

I believe Verizon is now offering push service from exchange server. I'm an AT&T guy, so I'm sure one of the verizon guys will chime in.

Yeah, 6.5 is extremely beta right now in my eyes. Same thing goes for the ROMS with the TF3D2 interface. It's a nice interface but it has a few issues since the ROM they got it from was a beta TouchPro 2 ROM I believe.

It all depends on your mail... I use exchange at work so my email is instant. There are a few other work arounds with Mail2Web and some other apps for push mail to WinMo.

okay I got my Touch Pro in, and had it unlocked and GPS wide open within the first hour, I did flash it with a current rom, which turned out to be 6.5.....I didnt want that and didnt pay attention as I was grabing one from ppcgeeks, anyways I htink the rom is killing my battery life as I went from half battery to out within two hours, and that was no phone calls, now my mail was checking ever 5 minutes ( I have since cut that back to 30 minutes) so we will see how that does....but so far so happy wih this phone, I loved my xv6800 and thinking I will LOVE this one.

I've tried quite a few ROMs. So far my favorite and most stable one is MightyMike's. It looks kinda bland but scroll down on his thread as he has quite a few customizations. I'll post some screen shots of mine when I get chance tomorrow. Battery life is great too.

Just so you know (No one seemed to answer your question to this), Your Windows Mobile device DOES instant email like the Blackberry if you are using an exchange server for your primary email.

If your using the Touch with POP/IMAP servers, you have to pick the time to download, just like you do with Outlook Express, for example.

Even Blackberry internet service, has pre-defined times it polls your POP/IMAP email, you just don't have a choice there. With Windows Mobile you at least have the choice.

I returned my HTC Touch Pro. I thought it was one of the most beautiful devices I've ever had, but I had to use 3 batteries a day, because the battery life was horrible.

I ended up getting a Treo 800w with Sprint, and I like it. I've had blackberries for the last 10 years, so it was tough switching, but so far, it's ok.

I may break down and get a PRE, because I'm just not 100% happy with the WINMOB OS...

okay I got my Touch Pro in, and had it unlocked and GPS wide open within the first hour, I did flash it with a current rom, which turned out to be 6.5.....I didnt want that and didnt pay attention as I was grabing one from ppcgeeks, anyways I htink the rom is killing my battery life as I went from half battery to out within two hours, and that was no phone calls, now my mail was checking ever 5 minutes ( I have since cut that back to 30 minutes) so we will see how that does....but so far so happy wih this phone, I loved my xv6800 and thinking I will LOVE this one.

Please be very careful. You don't know how many posts I've seen from people on the xda-developers from people who mistakenly grab the wrong ROM, as far as GSM vs CDMA. I think this happens more on XDA than ppcgeeks, as XDA is much more of an international community, and I think language barriers add confusion for some.

Also, it takes a little while for the battery calibration to settle in. When you first get the phone, you are going to see battery life dropping really quickly. As the battery meter calibrates, it will slow way down. I remember the first day I had mine, last october. I took it off the charger and drove to the airport. When I got to the airport and pulled out the phone, it had dropped 25%, and I hadn't even used the phone.

I easily get through the day on a full charge. But definitely not 2 days :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)