HTL-HD/HD300/LG3200 Questions

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

GaryPen

Rich or poor, it's good to have money.
Original poster
Supporting Founder
I'm thinking of switching from E to D. However, as an HDTVer with specific technical needs, I have a few questions about the above receivers.

First, it appears that they are all made by the same company, which I will assume is Goldstar (LG=Lucky Goldstar). The only difference I can find between the three is the absence of RF remote capability and less attractive front panel of the Hughes. Is this correct? (OTOH, the lower price is like a couple of cocktails. It makes it look prettier.)

I have a question about the outputs. I understand the SD outs are now simultaneously hot, for easier VCR recording. However, it appears that the HD outs are NOT simultaneously hot, with a hard switch required between DVI/RGB and component! Is this true? That is painfully stupid, and possibly a deal-breaker for me, as I have both an HDTV and HD projector, and need an HD signal to both without having to reach behind the rack and switch. (DVI to TV, Component to PJ).

What about the DVI and RGB outs? I see in the manual it says "DVI output takes precedence". What does that mean? If both outputs are connected, does only the DVI work? That would suck too! My projector also has a VGA/RGB input, so I would have been able to use the VGA/RGB as a workaround.

Another question: Do these models upconvert SD programming to 1080i, so I can use the HD outputs for all programming? If so, what is the picture quality of the conversion.

The two features of my current Dish 811 (the few that actually work) are the always-on outputs, and the upconversion.

What about the Samsung models, 160 and 360? Do they have these features? I would tend to avoid these models from the things I have read on forums. (I tend to avoid Samsung anyway, from personal experience.)

Yes, you do have to choose between component and DVI output on the DirecTV receivers (I assume you mean component connection, not composite, as HD signals will not pass through composite). My suggestion would be to purchase a component video splitter.

All HD receivers upconvert SD to output resolution of 720p or 1080i, whichever you select.

The Samsung is the same as the others.

Best of luck!

Alan

al said:
Yes, you do have to choose between component and DVI output on the DirecTV receivers (I assume you mean component connection, not composite, as HD signals will not pass through composite). My suggestion would be to purchase a component video splitter.

All HD receivers upconvert SD to output resolution of 720p or 1080i, whichever you select.

The Samsung is the same as the others.

Best of luck!

Alan

Thanks. I did mean component, of course, and changed it in the original post to avoid confusion.

However, you didn't answer the second part of my HD output question. That is, are the DVI and RGB/VGA outputs simultaneously hot on the Hughes/Sony/LG?

Also, is the Samsung a hard switch like the Hughes/Sony/LG, or is it something that can be changed with the remote or front panel. That would be acceptable, albeit less convenient than my current 811 with Dish.

I have a Samsung 160 receiver, and there is a hard switch on the back of the receiver that allows you to select DVI, RGB or Component. I do not know about the new generation receivers.

Alan

I have the Hughes HTL-HD. I just received it this week. I am running both component and DVI to my television. I am able to switch between either input with the remote control. So, I hope that answers your question that both are hot at the same time. The other thing I like about the Hughes receiver is that I also have basic cable and my OTA antenna hooked to the box, and I am able to receive both of them without switching any inputs to the TV.

Diverace

diverace said:
I have the Hughes HTL-HD. I just received it this week. I am running both component and DVI to my television. I am able to switch between either input with the remote control. So, I hope that answers your question that both are hot at the same time. The other thing I like about the Hughes receiver is that I also have basic cable and my OTA antenna hooked to the box, and I am able to receive both of them without switching any inputs to the TV.

Diverace
Are you sure? The manual shows a hard switch on the back panel. It says that the switch must be used. A few people have mentioned that it is necessary to use the switch. I don't know if that was from experience, or by reading the manual.

Your TV definitely shows signal in both DVI and component (not to be confused with composite) modes?

Thanks.

GaryPen said:
Are you sure? The manual shows a hard switch on the back panel. It says that the switch must be used. A few people have mentioned that it is necessary to use the switch. I don't know if that was from experience, or by reading the manual.

Your TV definitely shows signal in both DVI and component (not to be confused with composite) modes?

Thanks.

I did more checking and you are correct. I now see what is going on. I have component, DVI, and video connected. It's the video connnection that I'm seeing, not component. I can see standard RCA video and DVI, not component and DVI.

I apologize for the mistake. I'm just learning a new TV and satellite at the same time and I didn't hook up the box.

Diverace

diverace said:
I did more checking and you are correct. I now see what is going on. I have component, DVI, and video connected. It's the video connnection that I'm seeing, not component. I can see standard RCA video and DVI, not component and DVI.

I apologize for the mistake. I'm just learning a new TV and satellite at the same time and I didn't hook up the box.

Diverace

Thanks. I had a feeling that might be the case. Now, if I can only find out if the DVI and RGB/VGA outputs are both hot at the same time. That would be an acceptable alternative to using DVI and Component. (I still can't believe there is a hard switch for that! WTF were they thinking? Stupid stupid stupid!)

GaryPen said:
Thanks. I had a feeling that might be the case. Now, if I can only find out if the DVI and RGB/VGA outputs are both hot at the same time. That would be an acceptable alternative to using DVI and Component. (I still can't believe there is a hard switch for that! WTF were they thinking? Stupid stupid stupid!)

The manual states "The DVI-HDTV port has a higher priority when both the RGB and DVI-HDTV ports are connected". I don't know if that helps or not, but it sounds like if you have a signal at both, the DVI is dominant. I agree, that it was stupid to have a hard switch. I was planning on using DVI and component with a component switching receiver. I thought I would be able to toggle back to DVI from component, but I won't be able without flipping the switch.

diverace said:
The manual states "The DVI-HDTV port has a higher priority when both the RGB and DVI-HDTV ports are connected". I don't know if that helps or not, but it sounds like if you have a signal at both, the DVI is dominant. I agree, that it was stupid to have a hard switch. I was planning on using DVI and component with a component switching receiver. I thought I would be able to toggle back to DVI from component, but I won't be able without flipping the switch.

I saw the same thing in the manual. It doesn't really say thet the RGB out is disabled when the DVI out is connected. But, it sounds like that may the case.

I don't understand why they all can't be hot simultaneously. It's just plain stupid.

And, if they really felt the need to have DVI and component be switched, why not have a soft switch in the remote?

My other alternative would be a component splitter of some kind. One that lets me connect the component output to two different devices without signal loss. Is there such a thing?

GaryPen said:
My other alternative would be a component splitter of some kind. One that lets me connect the component output to two different devices without signal loss. Is there such a thing?

Of course there is, and I mentioned it during my first response to you. It is actually called a component video distribution amp. Here is a link to one:
http://www.cablestogo.com/product.asp?cat_id=509&sku=41065

Best of luck. I hope you can figure a solution to your problem.

Alan

al said:
Of course there is, and I mentioned it during my first response to you. It is actually called a component video distribution amp. Here is a link to one:
http://www.cablestogo.com/product.asp?cat_id=509&sku=41065

Best of luck. I hope you can figure a solution to your problem.

Alan

That's right you mentioned a splitter (not dist. amp). You didn't provide a link at that time, and I've been having trouble finding reasonably priced models. Thanks for the link! :wave (EDIT: $159???? Nah. It would kill me to pay that to workaround a design flaw in the receiver.)

This would all be moot if it wasn't for the stupidity of not having both outputs active in the first place. To quote Ren the Chihuahua..."Idoits!"

Now, if someone can tell me if the DVI and RGB outputs work simultaneously, that would be great. Perhaps "DVI output takes precedence" means the RGB is disabled when the DVI output is active. Maybe the RGB out is OK, if the DVI monitor is powered off (as opposed to being physically disconnected)? That would be acceptable. I don't run the TV and PJ simultaneously.

You could possibly use RCA "Y" cables. I know people who have done this successfully, but seems to me that if the signal needs to travel very far, you would be better off with the distribution amp.

As far as the $159 is concerned, research this before you completely pass on the distribution amp. The link I provided was the first one to appear on a Google search, just to show what I was talking about. There may be less expensive ones.

Also, I am sorry to be so vague on my first post regarding a splitter. At the time, I was trying to give ideas, and was not very specific, was I? ;)

Anyway, now for some real help. Keep in mind that I have a Samsung 160, which is not most up to date model, but for kicks, I plugged in a computer monitor to the RGB hookup with the DVI connection to my front projector, and I have a picture on both! :D

Learn something new every day!

Alan

al said:
You could possibly use RCA "Y" cables. I know people who have done this successfully, but seems to me that if the signal needs to travel very far, you would be better off with the distribution amp.
Anyway, now for some real help. Keep in mind that I have a Samsung 160, which is not most up to date model, but for kicks, I plugged in a computer monitor to the RGB hookup with the DVI connection to my front projector, and I have a picture on both! :D

Alan

I've been using Y cables with the single component output of my DVD player. Unfortunately, it causes definite signal loss. I would need a dist. amp.

OTOH, that discovery about the Samsung sounds promising. How do you like it otherwise? I've heard more "bug" stories about the Samsung than about the Hughes/Sony/LG.

My Samsung is no longer buggy. The latest software took care of things. The only things I do not like about the Samsung are:

1. Digital OTA you have to scan to find a channel. On my Hughes E86 you can enter the channel number, and it will tune in and channel map to match the analog channel.
You also have to be tuned to a channel, then tunnel through about 4 menu selections to check signal strength.

2. You have no way to channel surf other than to bring up the guide, with the picture in a small window. I know this is personal preference, but I prefer the guide to overlay the screen, where you can see the picture in the background. In fact, the E86 has a browse feature similar to Echostar boxes, where you can thumb through what is on without changing the channel.

3. The IR remote is very weak. In fact, if you are using the remote that comes with the unit, you will find that the remote is more reliable if you keep open the front panel. I use a universal home theater remote, and it works alot better.

Overall, the Samsung is a good receiver, but I am replacing with HD TiVo the first of April, when they are released.

Hope this helps.

Alan

al said:
I have the 160.

Alan

I sure would appreciate if somebody with an HTL-HD/HD300/LG3200 could try connecting devices to both the DVI and RGB outputs simultaneously, and seeing if you get signal to both at the same time.

If it really does only send signal to DVI in that situation, as the manual's "DVI output has precedence" might indicate, maybe you can try turning off that device while still plugged in, and seeing if the RGB output becomes active then.

Thanks so much.

Better HD Directv Receiver

I am a current subscriber to Directv and had thoughts of switching over to Dish Network using their HD 811 receiver promotion. I changed my mind after seeing some posts describing the problems with the 811 receiver. I contacted Directv and they will give me the $99 customer retention deal and I understand all the logistics on how that deal will be given to me. My question is, which Directv HD receiver is the better of the two they offer, Hughes or Samsung? And if anyone has either of these receivers please tell me how you HD picture looks.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts