Hughes HD Reciever question

Status
Please reply by conversation.

prince_001

Original poster
Jul 27, 2004
DirecTV got installed yesterday using Hughes HTL-HD receiver. Connected using DVI to my Panasonic LCD. I have a off-air antenna installed, and getting very good quality local HD reception. But got a little problem (or I should say annoyance). Whenever I try to change the local channels, it take almost 10 seconds before it goes to the next one, and all that time it shows "Digital In" on the TV. No picture for almost 10 seconds, but has sound. Any idea on what's going on? Thank you all

Is the box changing formats from channel to channel? Like going from 1080i to 480p?

I have not had this problem with the box, maybe you can try to turn off the unused inputs on your television, maybe it is trying to autodetect inputs or something.

I don't have any problems with mine either. Mine changes pretty quickly.

Prince-

Is that "Digital In" coming from the Television or the HTL HD?

I would imagine from the TV, as i have not seen the HTL HD say that.

You are tuning to locals with the HTL-HD or an integrated HDTV tuner?

I am not sure why it would bring up your input selection for a channel change on a piece of equipment not related to your television. What do you have your HTL-HD set on (format 1080i, etc) when you tune to your locals? It sounds like your TV is "refreshing" its format each time you change the channel. hit the format button till it sayds 1080i on the HTL HD so it upconverts everything and sends the same signal to the TV at all times.

ANy change with anything?

CKUDRNA -

You are absolutely right that DIGITAL IN is coming from the TV. I have DV1 connected to the TV, and as you said, it looks like my TV is trying to upconvert every signal. I tried changing the receiver box to 1080i or 720P, but then I get the local channels recieved by DirecTV as box-like (I have both DirecTV local and also OTA antenna as OTA in Austin does not pick up local Fox). What are my options here, any idea?

Thanks!

Digital locals will have most content broadcast in 4:3 format, leaving the grey lines on the sides like that.

You should be able to "stretch" or expand, zoom, etc these channels to fill the screen by using the "ratio" button on the remote.

I have yet to read the manual on the HTL-HD, but I remember my box at school uses 1080i for HD broadcasts and then uses 480p for regular broadcasts. I think one of the format options will autodetect the signal and change to either 1080i or 480p based on the channel. This works well, as i think lots of SD programming looks better in 480p than being upconverted to 1080i.

Any OTA broadcasts in HD will not show the lines but will most likley be broadcast in the 16:9 format filling up the screen. It is just a matter of time before more and more things are broadcast in HD on OTA digital channels in 16:9 format.

You will see it when you go from a NON-HD channel to a HD channel, the format on the box will change and the screen will kind of flicker and show a strange spectrom when it switches.

I will look through the manual later on and see which format does that autodetect thing, you may beat me to it though!

The box will auto switch from SD (480) and HD (1080) when using the DVI cable.

Component, S, or gasp, Composite will require you switch the box format from 1080, 720, 480, etc manually, or you can just keep it on 1080i and the box will upconvert to 1080i. I cannot notice any difference between this and changing back to 480 for NON HD.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts