Hughes Tivo freezing

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

lvsaint

Original poster
Jun 9, 2005
I own a 2 year old Hughes Tivo that for two days now has frozen overnight. There is no way other than to unplug from the mains where i will act normally until I switch the tv on the next morning. It stays stuck on a tv channel picture.

Could this have anything to do with the recent download? I wanted to gauge other people's opinions before I spoke to someone at Directv.

Could be. It could also be that it is full or the index is corrupt. If you have programs that will not be missed, you could run the "Clear and Delete Everything" option. It will clean it up like you would not belive but it is also like plunking a new DVR in your living room. Season passes, Favs, etc will all be gone. That is the "shotgun"

For the rifle: I would start off first with a restart the recorder, this should also clear and re-index the system.

Shotguns just work sooooo well.

How exactly can I reformat the box? Is it an option from the blue menu button?(not at the box right now so can't look)
Thanks for the help btw. :)

on my RCA DVR the menu selections are as follows:

DIRECTV Central (the blue screen) > Messages and Setup > Restart or Reset System
{choices are as follows}
Restart the DVR. Shuts down the DVR and starts it up again. It will not affect recorded programs, Season Pass items, WishList searches, or TiVo Suggestions.

Reset Thumb Ratings and Suggestions. Removes all Thumb ratings and deletes the list of TiVo Suggestions under Pick Programs to Record. It does not delete TiVo Suggestions that have been recorded and are in the Now Playing List.

Clear Program Data and To Do List. Clears all program information, cancels all Season Pass items and everything in the To Do List, and removes all Thumb ratings. It does not delete programs in the Now Playing List. The DVR acquires new program guide data from the Satellite, over the next one to two days. Completing this process may take over an hour.

Clear and delete everything. Clears all Season Pass items, WishList searches, Thumb ratings, TiVo Suggestions and Now Playing List recordings, program information, and the To Do List and setup information, including the Channels You Receive and Favorite Channels lists. It also clears the current password and resets Parental Controls to the factory specified default. Completing this process may take over an hour.

Slacker suggested you try the last option.

Ok, thanks for that. I am thinking I'll go with that last option. If there is a glitch on the hard drive or wherever, this is going to be the most thorough action I can do before calling Directv.

I have a Hughes also, and this is what happened to me. After I received the 6.2 upgrade, I went to channel 215 to see if my NFL-ST had renewed. After the banner disappears from the top of the screen, I get a frozen picture from the previous screen that I was on. Doesn't matter which channel that I go from to 215, I get that frozen picture from the previous channel.
I called DirecTv and they said they had not heard of that problem. They had me reset the Tivo, same thing. They then went to see if theirs was having this problem, and it wasn't. I was told that the box may be going bad, but it only happens on channel 215. Who knows........

Actually shotguns are exremly effiecent, when used at the proper range and on the right targets!

lvsaint - There is also a disk utitlity you can run called Spinrite that is quite popular in the tivo community.

Personally I have yet to see an issue that C&D did not fix ... other than how mad my wife gets when I blast all her cooking shows :eek:

Since D* would advise you to C&D everything before replacing the DVR, that's what I would do if there's nothing on there that you'd miss.

I'm on my second Hughes unit (they sent me a refurb one as part of my support coverage). Same thing is happening, more and more frequent system restarts. I am in the process of a format and will do another overnight tonight. I understand that the upgrade used a different partition of the drive and triggered problems from there, just seems odd that it is happening with two machines now. Maybe this will solve it but I doubt it.

If tomorrow there is no resolution I am demanding a brand new unit (hard drive atleast) - not another refurb.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts