picture freezes and pixelation

krynn

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 2, 2020
woodland hills ca
ok i have been experiencing pixelating and picture freezes. is this the new norm or what. i hear from a few people that that have the same issues. my signal is locked at 99%. so i should not have any of these problems if a bird flies over it and craps on the dish :what . i am wondering if it's something to do with there servers since i am not the only one with this issue:what

Directv uses mostly automated outage or impairment monitoring equipment which can't catch brief ongoing glitches and that coupled with laying off much of the employees that monitor the signals and maintain the uplink equipment equals more of what you are seeing.

Reactions: krynn
ok i have been experiencing pixelating and picture freezes. is this the new norm or what. i hear from a few people that that have the same issues. my signal is locked at 99%. so i should not have any of these problems if a bird flies over it and craps on the dish :what . i am wondering if it's something to do with there servers since i am not the only one with this issue:what
What equipment do you have?

genie 2 wireless all 4k mini's. i checked my internet speed it's not it since i am hitting 8 GBS down with latency no more than a millisecond upload is 1 GBPS

Last edited:
Directv uses mostly automated outage or impairment monitoring equipment which can't catch brief ongoing glitches and that coupled with laying off much of the employees that monitor the signals and maintain the uplink equipment equals more of what you are seeing.
and these idiots wonder why there losing subs left and right :what :rolleyes:

I can only speak for my DirecTV equipment at home, but it seems 5 or 6yrs ago things were working quite well with very few glitches or outages anywhere. Then starting about 5yrs ago I noticed a lot of random occasional freezing and glitches on some of my favorite channels and a couple of friends have commented on similar problems. About 5 to 6 yrs ago is when ATT got their fingers in things and started laying off people and streamlining some operations. Coincidence? I don't think so.

I also have some insight on how things work or used to work at DirecTV having worked there for 18yrs. In my time there, a second of outage was an eternity and you would break your neck if needed to respond to problems and get things switched to a backup system or whatever it takes to restore service. We also did a lot and I mean a lot of preventive maintenance at uplink sites and it was not always easy to do that with the lean crews we had back then. Now they might have 25% of the personnel in some technical areas and I have no clue how they can perform all the necessary PMs and keep things running smooth. Or, maybe they cant and we are seeing the result.

and these idiots wonder why there losing subs left and right :what :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Reactions: dhpeeple1
genie 2 wireless all 4k mini's. i checked my internet speed it's not it since i am hitting 8 GBS down with latency no more than a millisecond upload is 1 GBPS
There is no such thing as a wireless 4k mini.

Reactions: comp9
All of the reports mentioning picture freezes I've read include a 4k mini. Me included.

It's probably just the mini(s). I have an HR54 and you have the HS17. From what I have read it happens with either of them, but always with a 4k mini.

Reactions: krynn

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts