HughesNet / DirecWay Installation question

Status
Please reply by conversation.

fkostyn

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 9, 2004
I have a couple of questions on a Hughsnet / Direcway installation.

- Connectors - crimp or compression? What are allowed.

- Mounting - Is a cinder block base OK (Sitting on the ground)

- Acceptable signal strength - is 60 too low?

- Plastic on LNB - the clear plastic has a small bend / dent in it (distorting the plastic)

- On a bandwith test (bandwidthplace.com) is 58k acceptable?

I am trying to get an idea for a client of mine - and I have never worked with Hughesnet - and not sure if its a satellite / install problem or not (I highly suspect install problem)

Reciever is a DirecWay DW6000

I thought you had to be FCC certified to install a 2 way sat link?

My parents have hughnets. Installed last week. They are getting 1.5meg download speed and I think 200k upload.

You have to joking with your questions, right??? :confused:

I just want to double check for the client (I know I'm probably right) but - I'm not a certified installer - so I'm not going to mess with it (if it was mine, I would)

They don't like mounting the dish so close to the ground due to the transmitter. I believe they like it 10 feet off the ground, I had mine mounted on a pole 4.5 feet off the ground & the installer said it should be higher.

The download speeds were around 1 meg but the uploads were horrendously slow!
I was glad when cable came out to us. :clap

fkostyn said:
I have a couple of questions on a Hughsnet / Direcway installation.

- Connectors - crimp or compression? What are allowed. Has to be Compression with MOCAP on all outside connections.

- Mounting - Is a cinder block base OK (Sitting on the ground) No, if a ground mount is done has to be 2inch sch40 steel atleast 6 feet off the ground.

- Acceptable signal strength - is 60 too low? No, It depends on what satellite your are on and your Xpol. Edit: some satellites are in the 40's but if your crosspoll is passing all the time you are fine

- Plastic on LNB - the clear plastic has a small bend / dent in it (distorting the plastic) Should not be a problem

- On a bandwith test (bandwidthplace.com) is 58k acceptable? NO

I am trying to get an idea for a client of mine - and I have never worked with Hughesnet - and not sure if its a satellite / install problem or not (I highly suspect install problem)

Reciever is a DirecWay DW6000

Let me know what satellite you are on and the Xpol and I can help you better.

Edit: Type 192.168.0.1 in the address bar and go to the transmission button " 3rd one right" and check to see the fail transmissions. if there are alot of failers then it could be equipment or installation depending on the crosspoll readings.

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)