HughesNet / DirecWay Installation question

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

fkostyn

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 9, 2004
I have a couple of questions on a Hughsnet / Direcway installation.

- Connectors - crimp or compression? What are allowed.

- Mounting - Is a cinder block base OK (Sitting on the ground)

- Acceptable signal strength - is 60 too low?

- Plastic on LNB - the clear plastic has a small bend / dent in it (distorting the plastic)

- On a bandwith test (bandwidthplace.com) is 58k acceptable?

I am trying to get an idea for a client of mine - and I have never worked with Hughesnet - and not sure if its a satellite / install problem or not (I highly suspect install problem)

Reciever is a DirecWay DW6000

I thought you had to be FCC certified to install a 2 way sat link?

My parents have hughnets. Installed last week. They are getting 1.5meg download speed and I think 200k upload.

You have to joking with your questions, right??? :confused:

I just want to double check for the client (I know I'm probably right) but - I'm not a certified installer - so I'm not going to mess with it (if it was mine, I would)

They don't like mounting the dish so close to the ground due to the transmitter. I believe they like it 10 feet off the ground, I had mine mounted on a pole 4.5 feet off the ground & the installer said it should be higher.

The download speeds were around 1 meg but the uploads were horrendously slow!
I was glad when cable came out to us. :clap

fkostyn said:
I have a couple of questions on a Hughsnet / Direcway installation.

- Connectors - crimp or compression? What are allowed. Has to be Compression with MOCAP on all outside connections.

- Mounting - Is a cinder block base OK (Sitting on the ground) No, if a ground mount is done has to be 2inch sch40 steel atleast 6 feet off the ground.

- Acceptable signal strength - is 60 too low? No, It depends on what satellite your are on and your Xpol. Edit: some satellites are in the 40's but if your crosspoll is passing all the time you are fine

- Plastic on LNB - the clear plastic has a small bend / dent in it (distorting the plastic) Should not be a problem

- On a bandwith test (bandwidthplace.com) is 58k acceptable? NO

I am trying to get an idea for a client of mine - and I have never worked with Hughesnet - and not sure if its a satellite / install problem or not (I highly suspect install problem)

Reciever is a DirecWay DW6000

Let me know what satellite you are on and the Xpol and I can help you better.

Edit: Type 192.168.0.1 in the address bar and go to the transmission button " 3rd one right" and check to see the fail transmissions. if there are alot of failers then it could be equipment or installation depending on the crosspoll readings.

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)