Hughesnet Dish - can it be used for C/Ku?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

savoy9020

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Feb 17, 2008
I've got a Hughes.net system that was in service as late as February, but
not longer needed. It's large and has a HN7000 modem.

Could I replace the LNB with a Ku or C band and get any use
out of it here in the North Texas area? I've got a coolsat 6000
that I'm using with my 10' Channel master at the moment.

Savoy9020

I've got a Hughes.net system that was in service as late as February, but
not longer needed. It's large and has a HN7000 modem.

Could I replace the LNB with a Ku or C band and get any use
out of it here in the North Texas area? I've got a coolsat 6000
that I'm using with my 10' Channel master at the moment.

Savoy9020

A parabolic dish is nothing more than a REFLECTOR. It doesn't care what you place at it's focal point. All it's interested in, is focusing whatever it's gathering (sun beams, or radio waves) to that focal point. So yes, you can install a different lnb at that focal point, then point the dish at whatever satellite you want, and it'll work. However, be aware that satellite signals vary in strength, so the physical size of the dish reflector can make a difference in signal levels.

A parabolic dish is nothing more than a REFLECTOR. It doesn't care what you place at it's focal point. All it's interested in, is focusing whatever it's gathering (sun beams, or radio waves) to that focal point. So yes, you can install a different lnb at that focal point, then point the dish at whatever satellite you want, and it'll work. However, be aware that satellite signals vary in strength, so the physical size of the dish reflector can make a difference in signal levels.

It dawned on me right after I posted this, that Hughes IS a KU band system.. Question,
is the Hughesnet LNB (forget the transmitter) circular or linear? Can I use it as?

From what I can dig up, it does appear that the Hughesnet LNB is linear and not circular, so could it be used as-is for FTA Ku reception?

Savoy9020

The Hughesnet LNB is a KU Band LNB and will work just fine from the get go. Just bypass the transmitter.

The Hughesnet LNB is a KU Band LNB and will work just fine from the get go. Just bypass the transmitter.

Iceberg,

Does the LNB have a builtin switch? I'm supposing it does given that
Hughes uses both H & V?

I'm looking at putting another P* onine with it, and I have an external
4 way. I had planned to use two ports on the P* H & V ports.

Savoy9020

I had one, the lnb didn't need a switch, I believe the switching was done by the software with
the hughesnet program. Mine just had dish-cable-modem to computer. Using the lnbf on a primestar right now, it does both H and V, using a 22khz switch on that one.

The Hughes Ku LNB is very good, and performs well for FTA applications. It has a single output, and polarity is controlled by 13v (vertical) and 18v (horizontal) voltage from the receiver.

I just registered and I am new to this. I've been installing Directv and I am finally going for Huges net certification on 6/3. There is alot of good information to be found here. Thanks!!!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)