Hughesnet HN9000 transmission failure

five7driver

Original poster
Jan 2, 2013
Winchester, VA, USA
Hello all,
New to the forum, this is my first post--incredible amount of information here, but I have not come across an answer to my problem in a search so far.

Two days ago my Hughesnet HN9000 was working fine, then inexplicably it stopped for no apparent reason. Numerous attempts to reboot always get stuck on the state code 10 antenna pointing step. If I abort pointing it continues to boot until state code 17: terminal registration failure. I also get a progress note of: Registration Failed: NOCC error--antenna pointing validation failure.

I went over all of this with a Hughesnet guy from India on the phone and we concluded that the unit was not transmitting (no "transmit" light on the modem). The tech support guy said it was possibly a cable connection at the transmitter since the one to the modem was secure. In all of this I determined that it would be better to upgrade to Gen 4 than to pay someone to come out and fix this one, but now I have no internet until they come out to install the upgrade!

The cable at the antenna is secure and the transmitter has not been moved or damaged recently. While I await the upgrade installation (which could take several days) I thought I would continue to tinker with this one. I'm a competent mechanic, but don't know much about these units. Is the transmitter shot? Would a $20 used replacement be easy to install (or possible for that matter)? Any help is greatly appreciated!

Hello all,
New to the forum, this is my first post--incredible amount of information here, but I have not come across an answer to my problem in a search so far.

Two days ago my Hughesnet HN9000 was working fine, then inexplicably it stopped for no apparent reason. Numerous attempts to reboot always get stuck on the state code 10 antenna pointing step. If I abort pointing it continues to boot until state code 17: terminal registration failure. I also get a progress note of: Registration Failed: NOCC error--antenna pointing validation failure.

I went over all of this with a Hughesnet guy from India on the phone and we concluded that the unit was not transmitting (no "transmit" light on the modem). The tech support guy said it was possibly a cable connection at the transmitter since the one to the modem was secure. In all of this I determined that it would be better to upgrade to Gen 4 than to pay someone to come out and fix this one, but now I have no internet until they come out to install the upgrade!

The cable at the antenna is secure and the transmitter has not been moved or damaged recently. While I await the upgrade installation (which could take several days) I thought I would continue to tinker with this one. I'm a competent mechanic, but don't know much about these units. Is the transmitter shot? Would a $20 used replacement be easy to install (or possible for that matter)? Any help is greatly appreciated!

It would not get to this point if it was not transmitting.

I would call back, it sounds like a hughes problem.

Welcome to the site.

Thanks for the reply, Stardust. I will call and ask Hughesnet about this, unfortunately their tech reps are not very tech savy and are just reading from a script. If you throw a problem at them that isn't in the script you're on your own. Is it possible that the transmitter is working enough to send some data but is too weak to pass the validation test? My local installer is not answering my calls so I have no idea how long I'll be without internet (I'm currently on......DIALUP! AAAAARRRGGHH!) so I'm going to keep at this as much as time permits. Any chance a new (used) transmitter will fix this?

Thanks for the reply, Stardust. I will call and ask Hughesnet about this, unfortunately their tech reps are not very tech savy and are just reading from a script. If you throw a problem at them that isn't in the script you're on your own. Is it possible that the transmitter is working enough to send some data but is too weak to pass the validation test? My local installer is not answering my calls so I have no idea how long I'll be without internet (I'm currently on......DIALUP! AAAAARRRGGHH!) so I'm going to keep at this as much as time permits. Any chance a new (used) transmitter will fix this?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts