HughesNet install question

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

mkatts

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 18, 2004
I'm having HughesNet installed at my parents hour 5 hours away on Friday. Since I am going to have to talk them through some things, I am hping someone can tell me how the reciever will connecte to the PC. They have two PC's but right now do not have a router. Once pc dials to the internet and the other has a cross over, cat5 cable into the dial pc.

So does the HughesNet box connect via cat5 or usb?

cat5 just like a cable modem.

They will need just a simple wired router. The installer may connect both for them if they give him $15 or $20 bucks and have everything there. If you have any other questions PM me.

thanks,
I had her pick up a linksys wired/wireless router, she also has a laptop with a wireless card in it. Anyway, it all worked out ok. The linksys router had an autosensing uplink port so it all worked out great.

mkatts said:
thanks,
I had her pick up a linksys wired/wireless router, she also has a laptop with a wireless card in it. Anyway, it all worked out ok. The linksys router had an autosensing uplink port so it all worked out great.

Good to hear. How has she liked the system so far?

She was disappointed that is was not as fast as my connection. But I have a T1 to my house! :cool:
I explained about the latency and all that. She is coming from dialup so she should be pretty impressed. I think she will after she uses it for a while. I also remoted into her pc and did dome cleaning up of her pc. Had some spyware running that was slowing her down.

She said it's running a lot better tonight. My remote connection dropped out a few times and I had to wait about 20 minutes between trys to get back in. So maybe they were having some sort of sat uplink problem? Who knows. I think over all she will be happy with it. She doesn't have much choice. It's this or dialup. We tried Wild Blue and were told they are not doing anymore installs because the sat was full. They expected to have a new sat online by year's end but she didn't want to wait that long.

Thaks for your help.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)