Hulu + Live TV will no longer have RSNs

I just found a local streaming service that still has them. They are as expensive as AT&T, but you can bundle with their internet and possibly save. Only thing is that they won't have internet in my neighborhood until 2021. By then Sinclair might come to their senses.

I hate to see anyone lose their job, but it is nice to see a reckoning when it comes to overpriced sports.

Sinclair could fire everybody in the building, and it would not have a 0.01% effect on "overpriced sports". What you pay, or used to pay, for sports channels passes through the networks down to the greedy players. That simple.

Sinclair could fire everybody in the building, and it would not have a 0.01% effect on "overpriced sports". What you pay, or used to pay, for sports channels passes through the networks down to the greedy players. That simple.

And the sports channels pretty much just went along with the exorbitant pricing the teams/leagues wanted for the rights. And they got away with it because they could hide the true costs for so long. Time for a big shakeup IMO.

Oh, and don’t forget about the greedier team owners!

And the sports channels pretty much just went along with the exorbitant pricing the teams/leagues wanted for the rights. And they got away with it because they could hide the true costs for so long. Time for a big shakeup IMO.

Oh, and don’t forget about the greedier team owners!
Absolutely right. The sports channels paid whatever the leagues wanted because the cable model allowed them to do so. So that the model is breaking down, things will have to shake up. I'm hoping that some leagues get hit hard so that pricing becomes more realistic.

Most modern sports owners are old men with ego problems. Most rich people, especially after a certain age, simply live quiet lives and enjoy their wealth. But this sub-set wants to be NOTICED!!!! Really, they could do a lot of other things with their money and make a far greater return. It isn't greed, it is ego.

Meanwhile the quarterback of the Dallas Cowboys in 1974 made about the same as a mid-career federal prosecutor. Today, the current quarterback is upset that he is being "exploited" by being paid only $34 million dollar per year.

Anyway, yes, the sports model is broken. Of course, there are lots of people that have no interest in sports at all, but who have been paying for it anyway. That model is being broken. Lots of completely sports free ways to get TV. As to the actual issue of this thread, the issue is is the Hulu model of having just SOME sports, but not the most important sports channel (the local team's channel, where you watch the local team) a workable model. I don't think so, but time will tell.

Reactions: Redbullsnation
I think that we are heading toward a direct to consumer for these regional sports networks, but it is going to depress the size of future TV contracts.

Reactions: ncted
A direct to consumer model for regional sports has to happen. Baseball cannot survive another long era where it is easier to watch any team, except your own.

The problem is that this really doesn't solve the paradigm shift either. The fact is there may be no solution in a world where only those who want sports pay for sports.

You can sub to a single team with MLB.TV now.
The same with MLB EI, as far as I know. The catch is that you cannot sub to your in-market team. There are ways around that, of course, such as "moving" to another team's market, in order to qualify for receiving your actual local team as an "out-of-market" team. Even then, though, you would still be blacked out whenever your team plays that other team. This is something that would not be a problem if you were allowed to subscribe to your own market's team legitimately.

Reactions: SamCdbs
The same with MLB EI, as far as I know. The catch is that you cannot sub to your in-market team. There are ways around that, of course, such as "moving" to another team's market, in order to qualify for receiving your actual local team as an "out-of-market" team. Even then, though, you would still be blacked out whenever your team plays that other team. This is something that would not be a problem if you were allowed to subscribe to your own market's team legitimately.

Ip vanish

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Just got a notification that the price is going up $10 in December.

Gaining parity quickly with sat and cable.
However without equipment fees or (in most cases) contracts.

• Sad
Reactions: TheKrell

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)