Hulu Plus is here!

lparsons21

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 17, 2009
Herrin, IL 62948
Even though it takes a subscription and fee and for now, an invitation, this is big!

I got the iPad app (available now for free in the app store), works very well. Smooth video, good audio and a simple app to use.

Hulu - Plus

Flash need not apply...

And for now, neither does Android from what I've read.

Me too! It actually is smoother and crisper on my iPad than it is on my more powerful Netbook and Dell Hybrid. Of course, those two use Flash and the iPad doesn't. Maybe that makes a difference.

On the free stuff before the invite comes in, they are. I don't know about after you have the subscription in place. I'm still waiting for the invite.

BTW, on the iPad it isn't Flash based, but on the Mac and Windows, it is.

Someone on another forum said ads are still there in the pay version, all the paid version is getting you is more shows, not ditching ads. We'll see where it ends up.

Only thing I'm afraid of is content disappearing from Netflix Watch Instantly because of this.

This is the software for the pay version. The subscriptions service however is not available yet and thus why they are sending out beta invites.

If they ramp up their shows and maybe add some shows from the 70's and 80's I will be glad to pay $10 a month. :)

I love Hulu. Hulu had a good business model and seems to be quite successful. Decent video quality and guilt free watching compared to some of the less reputable sources for tv shows that are out there. In return you watch some ads and have to watch the shows a day or sometimes a week later.

In my opinion they should stick with this model and add more content for free to gain more viewers and to keep current viewers interested.

You are paying for the current content by watching the ads. Paying a monthly fee on top of watching the ads is greedy double dipping, the same greedy double dipping that cable and satellite has been getting away with for years except now you are actually paying 3X for it. You pay by watching the ad. You pay monthly for Hulu. You pay for your internet service.

I hope that people recognize this and boycott this "upgrade" to Hulu. Businesses will only continue this nonsense if people let them get away with it.

Having said all that, if they were to offer a better caliber of movies, without commercials, for a monthly fee, that would be fair in my opinion.

I just spent a few minutes reviewing what shows and episodes this will add. It appears to add very little over what had been available a month or two ago. Shows which once had whole seasons available for free, now have fewer episodes for free. Those episodes that were removed are now available with the subscription.

I know I havn't, not sure I am all that interested unles they can pick up CBS, that is where all the shows are that we watch, I think the only reason they have the other nets available is because they are failing big time, and are hoping Hulu can help pull them out.
Terry

I would have paid for Hulu Plus last week when I was in a gap of Friday Night Lights where I couldn't watch it on Netflix and they only have the last 5 episodes on Hulu/NBC.com.

I had to find them... um... elsewhere... and then watched the rest on Hulu.

Likely will never be a subscriber now after this experience though. After watching more than 3 seasons on Netflix Instant Streaming over the last 2 weeks, watching the last 5 episodes on Hulu with commercials i couldn't skip was really frustrating.

Hulu CEO says they may consider an ad-free alternative too, but it will cost more. $10 just gets you a better selection.

I've been reading articles about hulu's viewers and their profit. I am very interesting in seeing if these change over the next few months. They appear to have a loyal customer base but that base doesn't appear to be growing much. If they could add cbs and remain free, that would be nice. I suspect that a number of their viewers will look elsewhere for content, on legit sites and on not legit sites. The question is, how many? They seem to expect to gain customers with Plus.

Likely will never be a subscriber now after this experience though. After watching more than 3 seasons on Netflix Instant Streaming over the last 2 weeks, watching the last 5 episodes on Hulu with commercials i couldn't skip was really frustrating.
Unfortunately as Hulu Plus ads shows, they'll probably yank them from Netflix.

Hopefully if/when they do that, the FCC will step in and force them to provide the shows equally to all streaming services.

Sony has proudly proclaimed that this is exclusive to the PS3 until the end of the year.

Currently you have to have Playstation Plus ($50/year) to participate in the preview program, but once the preview is over you can pay for Hulu and not pay have to pay Sony.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)