Meta Connect is on This Tuesday and Wednesday

Replay of the live event here:

View: https://www.facebook.com/Meta/videos/1038522214125952

Tomorrow we'll get more details. Lots more being offered.

As planned since Spring, I ordered the 512GB version of the Quest 3. By preordering they are also offering some freebie games and subscriptions for 6 months. So paying extra for the 512 version is a no brainer. More storage for more games.

I've been a fan of HMD's for multiple uses since before the Oculus Rift. Plus, I've stuck with the Oculus system since owning the Rift. I've owned them all.
The Oculus, now renamed Meta Quest 3 is a huge jump above the Meta Quest 2. Been using it for mostly games now for a week and it is pretty amazing in both image quality, 3D surround sound, and speed of operation. There are many new features and even two new formats available with the 3. These are both Augmented Reality ( where information is placed in front of you while you see your real world in front of you); and Mixed Reality ( is more about adding Virtual Computer Games that come alive in your real world ). The Quest 3 can map your room by simply looking around and it draws a frame around every object. This allows objects in the game to recognize your real world stuff in your room. For example an combat game might allow a game enemy to hide behind your furniture and move while avoiding objects like a table or chair. One game preview I saw was how you combat a home invasion and take him down with your hand gun. Another is where you get into a fist fight with an opponent in your living room. Or learn to play the piano that is a virtual piano in your room. To date, only very expensive HMD's have offered AR and MR features. Now Quest 3 is bringing this to a consumer friendly affordable hardware.

The Quest 3 also supports hand tracking so you don't have to use the two controllers if the app or game supports hand functions. The limitation of this is that most games use hand controllers because certain buttons on the controller perform specific tasks. However, in the future games may simply show a virtual controller that is in your hand to access these special functions. Some games like Hubris and Red Matter already offer something close to this concept. Like your virtual hand could access a virtual control panel on your forearm with popup display in VR. The buttons are Virtual rather than real world controllers with buttons.

Another feature I am seeing are walking tours. There are over 150 locations around the world you can get on a treadmill and start walking through trails in like the Grand Canyon, or Bryce Canyon. Wearing the new high quality Quest 3 is like you are actually there. Unfortunately, many of these walking tours were produced 3-4 years ago in low resolution, but some are in VR180 3D at 6K resolution and this makes them appear like actually being there.

Many Best Buy stores now have demos where you can try one on. But, it will take some time to really experience what the Quest 3 can do in the privacy of your home. The store demo will just allow you to see the level of quality if you get a salesperson who can explain how to adjust it to your eyes. Also the Quest 3 now has a way to wear your prescription glasses inside the HMD so you don't need special lenses if you need to wear glasses. The face seal does need to be adjusted for your glasses. If you don't know about how to size the Quest 3 to your eyes, the experience will not be good. Wearing glasses inside the Quest 3 will reduce the field of view slightly so for optimum FOV, getting custom prescription lenses, cost between $75-$100 as an accessory is an option.

The negative so far is that the head strap that comes with really sucks. I've ordered a 3rd party one that is much better and allows additional batteries for up to 10 hours of use on quick magnetic mounted batteries. The Q3 only has about 90 minutes of play time on a single charge and takes about 90 minutes to recharge. So most people end up ordering one of several different hear strap systems from either Meta or 3rd party. I added one of these to my other Quest HMDs as well.

Reactions: Foxbat
Unfortunately, many of these walking tours were produced 3-4 years ago in low resolution, but some are in VR180 3D at 6K resolution and this makes them appear like actually being there.
I wonder how much of this comes from better contrast or more punchy chroma. The actual resolution of the MQ3 (2064x2208) is only about 14% better than that of the MQ2 (1832x1920) and the MQ2 was probably considered 2K resolution so I'm not sure how much 6K resolution content buys you.

Visually, the big win of the MQ3 is clearly the HD color AR as you previously noted.

I wonder how much of this comes from better contrast or more punchy chroma. The actual resolution of the MQ3 (2064x2208) is only about 14% better than that of the MQ2 (1832x1920) and the MQ2 was probably considered 2K resolution so I'm not sure how much 6K resolution content buys you.

Visually, the big win of the MQ3 is clearly the HD color AR as you previously noted.
I would say all of the above but each improvement counts. Now as for those older videos that were done with low resolution cameras you can see the lack of details in the images compared to today's 8K produced content and seen on the higher resolution HMD.

Since you don't have experience there is something I'll tell you about VR that is particularly important to understand. A flat screen 2D image will have higher detail ( resolution) than the same image when seen in 3D VR 180. It gets even worse in VR360. Mathematically, the resolution shot in 8K 3D has about the same perceived resolution as 2K. or in other words the cube root of the 2D flat screen resolution. Therefore those 4 year old VR360 3D images shot in HD or 1920 pixels will appear like 12.5pixels. In 2D the perceived resolution would be the sq root of 1920 or about 44 pixels. So single camera HD for VR was just unacceptable. Today's VR180 affordable cameras are using twin 6K imagers and the video looks as good as 720p HD.

Games ( graphics), however, can bypass the limitations of cameras and create images in real 4K quality or 2+ K per eye. A good test is whether I can see textures in fabric or pores in one's skin.

"Visually, the big win of the MQ3 is clearly the HD color AR as you previously noted." Not only because that is just important for pass through and MR games and there aren't that many of those out there. Although I can read email and web sites on my iphone with the MQ3 that was just a B&W blur in Q2. VR games have been around for a long time and the new ones that have been released or rewritten for the Q3 resolution are noticeably better as compared to the MQ2 version. That in addition to the contrast ratio and color saturation improvement.

For those who want to see what goes into making this technology small and light enough to wear:

Roland- I watched that when it was released. The tech who did the tear down was rather critical of how difficult it was to take apart. But in my experience, These HMD's don't go bad as in break. The batteries don't even go bad because unlike a watch or iphone the HMD is just not cycled enough to wear it out. Plus for serious Quest gamers we run auxiliary batteries on the head strap anyway so it's never a problem.

The main issue for breaking these is letting the lenses exposed to sunlight which can burn the displays. Supposedly, the lenses focus the sun like a magnifying glass setting fire with the sun on paper. So there is plenty of warning to always cover the lenses with a cloth when not wearing them. Never use one outside where the sun could hit the inside for a few minutes if not worn. If that happens, I doubt iFixit will be able to repair those anyway. Time to buy a new one.

I’m more interested in how Meta engineered the headset which packs a vast amount of technology into a self-contained, wearable device. I wasn’t expecting it to be very repairable as screws and other metallic fasteners should add weight. iFixIt does tend towards pushing repairability over function; it is better than a disposable device which lasts 2-3 years and then takes up space in a landfill. IMO, if it can be broken down into recyclable and disposable parts, that’s the next best thing to being easily reparable.

I hadn’t thought about the lenses focusing sunlight onto the headset screens. Sounds like a light-colored microfiber pouch would be a good way to store this between uses, as well as the general rule of thumb to never put a portable electronics device in the sun, unless it’s designed for it.

I trust the video tracking to head movement is pretty seamless by now. I used a VR headset a decade back and the slight delay was nauseating to my senses.

Anyway, thanks for your observations and review of the Meta Quest 3. It sounds like a fun device!

I trust the video tracking to head movement is pretty seamless by now.
The Quest series has been great for tracking. Still there are issues with tracking where extreme range of motion such as raising hands with controllers behind you or down at your hip and over head it will screw up. They see a number of IR emitters that are picked up by the multiple cameras on the head set for tracking. The older Oculus Rift uses three tracking units you mount overhead, two left and right in front and one behind you. That worked better but you have to be in the center of the triangle of sensors for accuracy. The most expensive are the Quest Pro controllers that sport wireless and cameraless tracking that solves all the problems, as other report. But, these controllers are pricey at $299 for the pair. They have their own processor and will work when you move them even behind your back. I have a pair of these on order. If they are not as claimed then I will return them.

It is frustrating when a game or app fails because you reach for something out of range or is occluded behind something in Mixed Reality and you lose, not because of your skill but because the equipment isn't capable of tracking when physical objects occlude the target.

Too bad Meta didn't offer the Pro Controllers with the Meta Quest 3 as an option.

It is frustrating when a game or app fails because you reach for something out of range or is occluded behind something in Mixed Reality and you lose, not because of your skill but because the equipment isn't capable of tracking when physical objects occlude the target.
I continued to get frustrated because the controllers lose tracking on the MQ3. Fortunately there is an expensive solution so I went ahead and got the Pro Controllers that do not rely on the HMD video cameras for tracking. They use a different technology with three cameras on each controller to position them in your space. Each has its own Snapdragon processor and sends data to the HMD via BT.

The results are amazing. No more loss of tracking unless I physically block the cameras on the controller which is only possible if I do that intentionally. Of course it raises the price I have invested in the MQ3 but with all the planned accessories, I'm still below my investment.

I just put my plan to buy more games on hold for now. I still have 30 games in my collection I haven't completed. Plus the MQ3 came with 2 free games a month for 6 months and two free permanent games free I haven't even opened yet.

I watched the Marques Brownlee video (it’s available in the YouTube Influencer Forum on this site) and he had some interesting thoughts about when the intersection of VR headsets and smart glasses would produce the product that breaks through into widespread acceptance.

I ordered this head strap with added battery capacity for the Quest 3 the same day I ordered the Q3 and it just arrived. Really improves the comfort and takes all the pressure off the face. The batteries add to the playing time for an all day experience. Not that I would wear one all day but when recording the play or whatever is being shown to video the battery life is very limited so having this much capacity is important.

Amazon product ASIN B0CJN9D23X
View: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CJN9D23X?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details