Hulu raising prices

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Hulu just barely edged out Sling in the subscriber count (2.7m vs 2.69m) and now they're raising the price. I wonder how long it'll take Sling to take back the lead...
This is just the tip of the iceberg. Once the other streaming services sees what happens to Hulu (good or bad) they'll be raising their prices also.

These streaming companies are still not getting it right. Skinny bundles are not skinny enough and try to satisfy the old cable/satellite TV customer. Sling has a better model, but they need to change "Orange and Blue" to "Sports and Entertainment". Offer a bundle with all of the sports channels(ESPN 1 & 2, FS1,NFL, MLB, NBA, regional sports networks, BTN, ACC, SEC, and Pac12) along with the major networks(ABC, CBS, NBC and Fox)for sports fans, and then offer an entertainment package closer to Philo TV for people who don't watch sports. Offer a discount if someone subscribes to both packages

Last edited:
Questionable timing if Hulu hopes to attract former PS Vue people. Not adding anything either. They should at least drop of $10/mo fastforwarding surcharge to be more competitive with YTTV. Sure, Hulu Live TV includes the entire Hulu on demand library. But that's only $5.99, and Hulu makes a lot of that back by forcing people to watch commercials.

Reactions: osu1991
I always consider that Hulu Live includes the regular Hulu service when comparing prices with their competitors.

I would imagine many that are doing OTT live streaming already sub to Hulu. To me, considering that, it’s still cheaper than most rivals for comparable channel lineups.

Still, I’m surprised they raised it now.

Questionable timing if Hulu hopes to attract former PS Vue people. Not adding anything either. They should at least drop of $10/mo fastforwarding surcharge to be more competitive with YTTV. Sure, Hulu Live TV includes the entire Hulu on demand library. But that's only $5.99, and Hulu makes a lot of that back by forcing people to watch commercials.
I wonder what the breakdown is of normal Hulu subs that go for the lowest $5.99 package with ads vs the higher priced “ad free” version.

Even when I’m using a different live service we generally keep the ad free Hulu. So it’s a bigger difference to me.

I do see yttv getting the biggest bump from psvue shutting down however.

Still a lot cheaper than the the tv portion of my cable bill. I dropped down to internet only and picked up SlingTV with dvr and the extra pack with Hallmark (for my wife) and I'm saving $77/month. I did look at Youtube and Hulu, but the lack of Hallmark meant I would still have to pay even more compared to Sling. Also Youtube and Hulu have quirks concerning the dvr that didn't appeal to me.

I feel that the overpriced locals and RSN's are affecting the price of these services. If Hulu and Youtube put them into extra packages, the base prices would come down a lot closer to Sling's.

I don't get it. They don't have AMC. No sports networks like NFL or NBA. No Viacom channels. Plus their DVR to skip commercials is extra.

I'm sure YouTube tv is next. At least you get a pretty good DVR with their service.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using the SatelliteGuys app!

I don't see streaming as very sustainable. Yeah it was low initially, but by the time you blow your bandwidth cap and Comcast charges you another $50, its not all that worth it in the end. It has potential, but gotta solve the bandwidth issues for a multiple tv household.

Not for just multi-tv households. I’m single and watch quite a bit of TV all during the day and evening, being retired with crappy weather sometimes does that! :)

Anyway, I’m at almost 900Gb for this month with 6 days to go for my 1TB reset. That’s from all the 4K I’ve been watching as part of the mix. When I saw how fast I was eating into the bandwidth I changed my ATV to 1080p to keep from getting 4K streams.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Reactions: harshness
I don't see streaming as very sustainable. Yeah it was low initially, but by the time you blow your bandwidth cap and Comcast charges you another $50, its not all that worth it in the end. It has potential, but gotta solve the bandwidth issues for a multiple tv household.

I posted to you before on how to avoid the data caps, Comcast’s XFi Advantage, $15 a month which includes the modem and unlimited data, yes you have to have at least Extreme 300 download, but that would take care of your bandwidth issues also.

Sent from my iPad using SatelliteGuys

RE: online streaming being sustainable. I'm sure ISPs will raise their data caps just like they raise their top speeds. They got to offer something to justify each annual price increase. When I first started streaming live TV in 2016, my ISP's standard cap was 350 GB. Then within a year it was bumped to 1 TB. You can't assume internet service offerings will always stay the same.

No doubt....another $15 here, another $10 there, and so forth. So in the end where is the savings?

I posted to you before on how to avoid the data caps, Comcast’s XFi Advantage, $15 a month which includes the modem and unlimited data, yes you have to have at least Extreme 300 download, but that would take care of your bandwidth issues also.

Sent from my iPad using SatelliteGuys

No doubt....another $15 here, another $10 there, and so forth. So in the end where is the savings?
Well since you posted $50 for unlimited data and I pointed out $15 which includes the Modem that is $35 saved right there.

You could get Extreme 300 and You Tube TV and only pay $125 a month which has to be less then what you pay now to Dish with fees and Comcast, also you would get your Fox Sports back.

Sent from my LML713DL using the SatelliteGuys app!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)