Humming and lines going up screen

Tyler Parker

Original poster
Jan 9, 2011
Hi:
I am new to forums and I would love to find out some information about a problem I am having with my Dish Network set up in my apt.

Just installed a new TV in my bedroom and wanted to hook it up to my dish network box in my living room. I already have a TV in the living room connected via HDMI. For the secondary TV, I connected with RCA cables and routed the approx. 20ft cable upstairs to my 2nd TV. Both TVs are newer HDTVs.

I was thinking it might be because of the length of the cable and the fact that it is just a cheap on I found on Amazon. The TV works just fine otherwise.

Looking forward to hearing some suggestions on how to fix the issue.

Thanks!

Do you have the colors on the ends of the cables plugged into the same color inputs at each end? Make sure you don't have a red jack plugged into a yellow jack. If you have rca couplers in-line, make sure you didn't swap something there. Make sure there isn't another device plugged into the TV1 outputs behind the rcvr such as a DVD player, Nintendo, VCR, etc.

Last edited:
I have gone 30' with RCA cables going all the way back to my 4900, with no humming and no video interference. Did it with a 501, a 625, and currently with a 722. Are your cables properly shielded and spec'd for video?

The second tv is not in hd. If the tv is over say 32 inches it is going to be grainy because u r actually seeing the lines refresh. Suggest upgrading to 2 612 receivers or if u don't want or need the dvr for ur second tv a 211 and 612 would be fine as well

Make sure the Red Video and Red Audio cables are not exchanged on one end. Wire the Audio only and check that it works or the Video only.
Also check that the RCA connectors are fully inserted, supported, and do not hang down.
-Ken

You could try connecting another component to the TV in your bedroom with the same RCA cable, if you no longer have any humming or lines going up your screen then the problem might be receiver itself.

He might have a grounding issue!

BINGO we have a winner. The line that you are seeing going up the screen is know as a hum bar. This is created most times by 60 Hz hum induced by a ground problem. Most likely the 2 rooms have a different potential between the two grounds. So 1st thing to try is to remove the ground in the 2nd room with a ground lift. Oh and one other thing, I want to know are you running RGB w/ audio R & W(component) which is HD or Yellow R & W (composite) cables which is SD to 2nd TV? There is a very minor possibility that there is a florescent light that you are running the cables over and it could have a problem that is showing up via line induction.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)