Hurricane Gustav...Satellite on roof?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

youngbloodz

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Dec 4, 2007
Ok, so unfortunately I am right on the coast of the Gulf of Mexico, which is where Gustav is headed, what should I do about my satellite? If I take it down, I believe I wouldn't know how to mount it back up. So what should i do? I live in Gulfport ,MS by the way. Thanks!

IMHO, if you don't take your dish down...most likely Gustav will and you'll surely do a neater job. :)

I'd suggest getting a Sharpie and making at least two marks (maybe a quarter inch apart) on the collar and on the pipe to aid in the re-aligning process. Just loosen the nuts on the collar and slip the dish off the pipe...leaving the pipe mounted to your roof. If you are careful not to mess up the tilt, you should be able to put it back up after the storm passes.

By the way...I wish you the best of luck with Gustav.

I would just leave it where it is, are your monopoles in use, that will help.
If the storm is going to take it down, you'll have a lot more important things to be worrying about.

IF you want, and you decide you want to do something to help, go up and take the 4 bolts off that hold the reflector, take that down, then when you need to put it back, everything else should be in place.
The reflector is the part that will catch the wind and rain.

Jimbo

Maybe I forgot to mention this, I'm only 17 years old. I really have no idea what you guys are talking about, my dad is away on business and I just live with my mom. So I'm really lost :(

If I were you I would concentrate on keeping safe, making and evac plan and not worry about the dish until AFTER the storm; if it takes it, it takes it.

Maybe I forgot to mention this, I'm only 17 years old. I really have no idea what you guys are talking about, my dad is away on business and I just live with my mom. So I'm really lost :(

Then do like I mentioned ..... there are 4 bolts that hold the dish portion on the mast, you can remove them and take just the dish down and leave the mast there.

Jimbo

If we all are still here, and your Mom&Dad's dish has issues, post back if you decide to leave it. We can help you get it reaimed if Directv won't, and worst case I only live 30 minutes from you, and providing we can get to the dish from a ladder, I will help you get it back right. :)

Depends on where the storm tracks and the wind field of the storm. Attached is animated gif showing winds projected as of 11pm advisory:

Attachments

• gustav.gif
    gustav.gif
    104.1 KB · Views: 314
I'd try to do what Larry said. If you look at your dish, you'll see that there is a sleeve-type attachment on the back of the reflector (big curved thing) that attaches onto the top of the mast. Take a sharpie and draw a line or two straight down the attachment of the sleeve and mast. Then loosen the bolts that hold the dish onto the mast, and slide it off. When it's time to put it back up, slide the dish back onto the mast, line the lines up, and clamp the bolts back down.

Then do like I mentioned ..... there are 4 bolts that hold the dish portion on the mast, you can remove them and take just the dish down and leave the mast there.

Jimbo

this is exactly what i always do and it makes it very easy to put back later.

i know hurricane charley left a dish i no longer used, hanging by a thread. after the storm, i just took the dish down.

Looking at the title I thought maybe the storm had deposited a satellite on your roof!:D

Anyway, In the grand scheme, worry about you and your mom first. Losing your dish is pretty small potatoes when compared to your personal property and personal safety.

If you're unsure about anything related to getting on your roof, the best plan is planning to be safe and whole.

Hoping you and your's stay safe.

The last thing he should be doing since he's 17 is messing with a ladder and a dish specialy since no one has informed him that he has to take the lnbf cluster off and take the cables out as well as go up a ladder on what could be anything from a 1 to 3 story house. Leave the dish alone and get your house ready for the hurricane, you dont need to fall off a ladder or roof when your mother will need your help and the last thing you need is trying to hurry to take down the dish and fall and have to go to the hospital or worse, its only tv.

The last thing he should be doing since he's 17 is messing with a ladder and a dish specialy since no one has informed him that he has to take the lnbf cluster off and take the cables out as well as go up a ladder on what could be anything from a 1 to 3 story house. Leave the dish alone and get your house ready for the hurricane, you dont need to fall off a ladder or roof when your mother will need your help and the last thing you need is trying to hurry to take down the dish and fall and have to go to the hospital or worse, its only tv.

Enough said..thank you :up

I have everything taken care of inside my house, what i'm doing now is taking care of things outside. Already boarded up the windows, tied my AC unit down outside, and the only thing I have left is the satellite. My house is REALLY small, only one story. I think I will be alright though. I'm not sure if I'm going to evacuate yet. Thanks for everyones help!

Enough said..thank you :up

He's 17, not 7

Jimbo

Does anyone know the wind rating for a non-pen roof mount? I'm in Biloxi and we're going to get up to cat 1 winds. Should I go the "sharpie" route? Or just leave it. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts