Status
Not open for further replies.

Stargazer

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 7, 2003
Western WV
This is a monster! 175 MPH sustained winds which means gusts is even higher than that. Before I went to bed last night around 11 pm it was only 115 MPH. Usually these hurricanes strengthen during the day but for it to strengthen this much this fast and at night is unbelievable. This is equal to an F3 tornado. Usually a hurricane of such proportions is small when it is this strong and weak hurricanes are usually larger affecting more areas, but this one is large AND very strong. New Orleans will have to evacuate.

Stargazer said:
This is a monster! 175 MPH sustained winds which means gusts is even higher than that. Before I went to bed last night around 11 pm it was only 115 MPH. Usually these hurricanes strengthen during the day but for it to strengthen this much this fast and at night is unbelievable. This is equal to an F3 tornado. Usually a hurricane of such proportions is small when it is this strong and weak hurricanes are usually larger affecting more areas, but this one is large AND very strong. New Orleans will have to evacuate.

I love the Bucs so when I say this don't ever think I wish a city to have a hurricane hit them but I can't help saying that if the Saints don't have a stadium to play at that might help the Bucs and the NFC South. Wow am I just tasteless and just plain mean but this is football and football isn't about being nice but attacking without remorse and never stopping.

On a more serious note I feel very bad for the state and city that gets hit by this because sadly the entire area will be destroyed and I hate for people to lose their lives and homes like this. I'm praying for everyone around this hurricane and I wish the best knowing that this will indeed destroy somewhere.

175?!?!?!?!?!?

OMG, shiat, crap, when did it get that bad. Geez that's gonna suck for whoever is in it's path :( :(

I'm hearing that if this storm strengthens during the night like last night that by around 5am most likely the storm will have max sustained winds of 200+ Mph and the east side of the hurricane would create a storm surge 30+ feet high.

Look at this f'ing eye...its near perfect.

http://www.weather.com/

There is also a chance with this storm that Tennessee could have hurricane force windows (75+ mph) with bad flooding and tornados. This is the worst storm I've seen in my life and lets just say if we thought Andrew was bad in Miami this storm will be 10+ times worse.

Just two weeks ago, my client stated their intent to move their primary data center 40 miles outside of New Orleans - mainly for political reasons with only a modest cost savings. Needless to say, we strongly advised against this movement. I have a feeling the client will be singing a different tune tomorrow morning. Rule of Thumb: never build a primary data center in a hurricane belt. It's too bad so many people are going to be negatively affected by this monster of a storm.

Its just unbelievable that it would strengthen overnight as quick as it did. I would not doubt it becoming 200-225+ by the time it hits. I see the map of where its stupposed to go and its supposed to have tropical force winds all the way up through Tennessee. The pressure is STILL dropping! Now we know what to expect if another one tries to do the same as this one. I'd say that this will be the worst storm to ever hit the U.S. ever and will hit the history books.

Stargazer said:
Its just unbelievable that it would strengthen overnight as quick as it did. I would not doubt it becoming 200-225+ by the time it hits. I see the map of where its stupposed to go and its supposed to have tropical force winds all the way up through Tennessee. The pressure is STILL dropping! Now we know what to expect if another one tries to do the same as this one. I'd say that this will be the worst storm to ever hit the U.S. ever and will hit the history books.

Sadly I agree.

Although I can't see this reaching the 200+ sustained range, the gusts have. Here's hoping the jet stream and that western high pressure moves east quickly and begins to shear the storm's juice. The mere fact it may well hit New Orleans dead on is the worst part AND over the decades they have done little to improve their protection and readiness for just this event. SAD! Good luck down there.

Attachments

• 2xus_ir.gif
    2xus_ir.gif
    83.2 KB · Views: 195
  • map_600x405.jpg
    map_600x405.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 188
There will not be a New Orleans after Monday morning. 28 foot storm surge. 175 sustained winds with gusts of 200 MPH. What isnt blown down will be under water. N.O. is 6 feet below sea level. I hate to say it but a lot of people that stay will be dead IMO. Does anyone know the elevation of the Superdome?

It would probably not be a bad Idea to make sure your tank is full regardless where you live.

This hurricane will most likely knock out the oil production down there for a while.

i was watchin the fox news channel before and they were talking about how there was a bar that was packed with people, then the reporter goes out side and like there a man walking three dogs im going to go talk to him.

reporter "Why havent you left? Dont you realize how bad this storm is going to be?"
Guy "its none of your f*cking business"
reporter "I do aplogoize, for that, didnt know he would be so vulgar about it."

yeah if this its where its predicted i dont see many comming out alive. I also have bad feeling about putting all those in the superdome as well. Think that its going to be a mass grave

This is probably the most intense written National Weather Advisory you'll ever read

MOST OF THE AREA WILL BE UNINHABITABLE FOR WEEKS...PERHAPS LONGER. AT
LEAST ONE HALF OF WELL CONSTRUCTED HOMES WILL HAVE ROOF AND WALL
FAILURE. ALL GABLED ROOFS WILL FAIL...LEAVING THOSE HOMES SEVERELY
DAMAGED OR DESTROYED.

THE MAJORITY OF INDUSTRIAL BUILDINGS WILL BECOME NON FUNCTIONAL.
PARTIAL TO COMPLETE WALL AND ROOF FAILURE IS EXPECTED. ALL WOOD
FRAMED LOW RISING APARTMENT BUILDINGS WILL BE DESTROYED.
CONCRETE
BLOCK LOW RISE APARTMENTS WILL SUSTAIN MAJOR DAMAGE...INCLUDING SOME
WALL AND ROOF FAILURE.

HIGH RISE OFFICE AND APARTMENT BUILDINGS WILL SWAY DANGEROUSLY...A
FEW TO THE POINT OF TOTAL COLLAPSE. ALL WINDOWS WILL BLOW OUT.

AIRBORNE DEBRIS WILL BE WIDESPREAD...AND MAY INCLUDE HEAVY ITEMS SUCH
AS HOUSEHOLD APPLIANCES AND EVEN LIGHT VEHICLES. SPORT UTILITY
VEHICLES AND LIGHT TRUCKS WILL BE MOVED.
THE BLOWN DEBRIS WILL CREATE
ADDITIONAL DESTRUCTION. PERSONS...PETS...AND LIVESTOCK EXPOSED TO THE
WINDS WILL FACE CERTAIN DEATH IF STRUCK.

POWER OUTAGES WILL LAST FOR WEEKS...AS MOST POWER POLES WILL BE DOWN
AND TRANSFORMERS DESTROYED. WATER SHORTAGES WILL MAKE HUMAN SUFFERING
INCREDIBLE BY MODERN STANDARDS.

THE VAST MAJORITY OF NATIVE TREES WILL BE SNAPPED OR UPROOTED. ONLY
THE HEARTIEST WILL REMAIN STANDING...BUT BE TOTALLY DEFOLIATED. FEW
CROPS WILL REMAIN. LIVESTOCK LEFT EXPOSED TO THE WINDS WILL BE
KILLED.

AN INLAND HURRICANE WIND WATCH IS ISSUED WHEN SUSTAINED WINDS NEAR
HURRICANE FORCE...OR FREQUENT GUSTS AT OR ABOVE HURRICANE FORCE...ARE
POSSIBLE WITHIN THE NEXT 24 TO 36 HOURS.

http://weather.noaa.gov/pub/data/raw/ww/wwus74.klix.npw.lix.txt

I'm watching the national coverage on TV as well as the local on the link I posted earlier. The thing that stands out to me is that the local station doesn't seem to have any reporters out on the street. It makes me think that the locals are taking this much more seriously than the nationals are. The nationals seem to be more interested in ratings than they are with the saftey of their reporters.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)