Hurricane watch

Status
Please reply by conversation.
digi if you have 91 I saw some NO local feeds there yesterday, off and on during the day. I envy you the generator, lol, I'd give my left lnb for one sometimes.

Hi everyone from Zachary... We just got our cable internet back up, it had been down long before we lost power and long after we got power back.

No apparent significant damage here in Zachary, but I've gotten many reports from friends who stayed in New Orleans that the damage there was moderate. The storm sat still just southwest of New Orleans for 12-16 hours, which is bad, even if only a category 1. The new Federal levee system built after the destruction of Katrina held up perfectly, so there will be no damage from storm surge this time. I'm hoping we had no flooding from rain at my home, but that has yet to be seen. Won't be able to get back there today, since I-10 is underwater West of the city at LaPlace.

Thanks for the thoughts and concern from everyone! I'll keep checking in, looks like I've got plenty of reading to catch up on ;) ...

Hello, stogie, Tron, digiblur.

Stayed and greeted Hurricane Issac, took both of the dishes down......Just re-installed the Ku dish this morning and is working fine, the C dish ($69.99) special got a little bent after the removal process .... The wife unintentionally warpted it some, I think that she looked at it real hard, LOL!!!

Lost power for about two hours way before anything happened (that was strange) but got it back soon since my street seems to be on the same grid as the Slidell Momorial Hospital.... Lost phone and internet services during the storm for a day and a half... no water or wind damage.... Family is fine.....Will try to straight out the $69.99 dish special.

Parts of Metairie, and Slidell got some water and wind damages. In Slidell, "Old Town" and other low land areas got alot of deep water.... With the inforced curbfew, no one was allow to sightsee.

avenger.

Last edited:
Glad to here it. No power for me still. There is a huge tree laying on the lines that feeds the middle of the neighborhood. Not sure when they are going to fix it. Been watching Entergy website and haven't seen anything done in my area. Oh well the generator is working and the cable modem never missed a beat so I can't complain too much.

Even Cox has a little generator connected to their battery bank near that tree that is down to keep the cable system powered up.

Sent from my C64 w/Epyx FastLoad cartridge

Great to hear from you guys. Avenger, the news said that Slidell got hit bad by the strom, How did you fair.
Tron is OK I glad you guys are safe,
I thought about the LA group of sat guys and the evacuation and how you made out, Need a check in from Stogie.
Stay dry & safe.
Mike Lib

Thanks mikelib,

My immediate neighborhood did real well in respect to wind or water damage as well as the electricity staying on for about 99% of the duration of the storm.....There are a few areas in Slidell that suffered high water, and power outrage, but those areas always do get flooded, too close to the lake, ( water front properties) or too close to the bayous.

avenger.

I texted Stogie late this morning. He's in Slidell, La.
Said the stores were reopening, but just no perishable products on hand.
He's got power, but no Internet. Should be back with us soon.
Think he pretty much escaped damage. ;)

Film at 11.

iPhone 4

We did fine, lots of wind, ,my yard is full of tree branches and leaves, but no major damage of any kind. The flooding was south of me, we just got wind and rain, didn't lose power but lost internet until this morning, and even then its still spotty. No dish damage whatsoever. Thanks for thinking about us.

Do I need to bring my Husquevarna or whatever its called, chain saw?? Glad to hear you made it ok!

Everything still tracks...I was watching C-band the whole time...LOL ...Paraclipse blew around a bit knocking the signal out temporarily, but it always bounced right back after the gust settled down...

And I took down all my Ku dishes, but I have a quad ortho on the Birdview and Ku worked through the whole thing. Got the KU dishes back up now and everything is fine.

And this is STIHL country. Keep that Husqvarna in the shed. :p

The KU band setup is working very well, can't say that for the C band. The dish is warped not by the storm but by being so flimsy, the wife bumped it and it got bented. Have to do some major realining of the dish, and some straighting out the two panels.

That is life. It is time to really start looking for a replacement, cannot believe that this dish lasted this long, the only thing that is holding it together is the three applied coats of paint. LOL!!!.

avenger.

Glad to hear from you guys. We got only 9 inches of rain just all at once some flooding but managed well in my area nothing like the Slidell area. If you listened to the weather channel. I'm real close to the pine bluff Arkansas area. They got less rain. About 8 1/2 but are mor prime to flooding

Finally got power back today but I am in New Braunfels enjoying the last little bit of freedom until Tuesday. Will be working the disaster stuff with crazy hours for quite a while giving away the free money to peeps.

Found out power had been restored at my house on Saturday morning, so I left Zachary immediately and headed back home to Metairie.

No flooding (new pumps and levee system passed with flying colors!), but lots of wind damage to trees around here. The dishes would probably have been toast if I'd left them up, especially PortaBUD. It is still safe, face down in a wind-shielded corner of the yard. Had to cut half a tree that had split in front of my doorway, so I've been very busy the last 36 hours or so ;) ...

Unfortunately, Isaac didn't break the branches I was hoping he would break, namely a large branch of my pecan tree and branches in a berry tree that have been growing into position to block reception from where PortaBUD is normally set up. Can't count on a hurricane to do anything right. Looks like I'm gonna have to climb up there and do the job myself :( ...

Glad to hear you made it out with only some minor inconveniences.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)