Hurricane watch

Status
Please reply by conversation.

turbosat

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Dec 26, 2006
Oneonta,AL
Forecast and updates on the approaching storm can be found in the usual place (72W). For those who might not have it on any other delivery system. Be safe!

I watched last year when Irene hit via 72w,power was out so I was using an inverter and 12v battery.
The storm knocked the motorized dish off by 10 degrees and I had to play with it in the following days to re-align.
I should have taken it down before the storm and used the fixed dish for 72w.

Glad I got some gasoline Saturday, I'll be scared to look at the futures market Monday morning, whew.

This will most likely be my last update until at least Wednesday night. All models are taking aim at NOLA, so it's a good probablility that we'll get hit. It is not projected to be as strong as Katrina, but with the warm gulf waters, one can never be too sure. The new hurricane protection system surrounding the metro area will, in any event, get a rigorous test. I'm more concerned with flooding from rain than from surge, however.

A category 2 will rip any dish to shreds, so I disassembled PortaBUD a couple of hours ago. Next to come down are the 1M Channel Master and the two 90CM motorized dishes. Reflectors only, the motors and mounts will stay, as they did with Katrina.

Hope to hear from Stogie, Avenger, and other members from the NOLA area soon. Everyone stay safe... See you all on the other side!

Yep boarding up just in case this morning, taking my Ku dishes down, the c-band dishes will have to stay. Everyone stay safe!

Hope to hear from Stogie, Avenger, and other members from the NOLA area soon. Everyone stay safe... See you all on the other side!

Tron, and Stogie.

I will be taking both dishes down this evening, I know that the Ku dish might make it if it remains a category 1, but I am not taking any chances with the $69.99 dish.

Take care and be safe.

avenger.

All my Ku dishes are down and in the shed, I am as ready as I can ever be. Time,battery, and cell signal permitting I will check in once the power goes out...

Checking in again since I won't be leaving for Zachary until just pre-dawn. The tropical storm-force winds will be at my heels, but the traffic shouldn't be an issue this late in the game. All dishes are down and inside or in the outdoor shed.

Hey, Digiblur, I'm going to be in your neighborhood today ;) ...

El Dorado Arkansas has setup a center for Isaac evacuees needing a place to go. I'm a bit further north (120 miles) if you need someplace.

We will get heavy rains winds and possibly tornado's. main concern here would be heavy rains & tornado's ( we've had little rain and its dry here ) but flooding and quick runoff is a concern.

any way i can help just let me know :)

Thanks George. We just got our first rain, looks like the outer bands are going to be here soon. Still not much wind to speak of. Still have power and internet, but I dont think thats going to last for long...LOL

Thanks to all for the best wishes.

I would say 'hope to hear from you guys' but I would think the power is out in large areas. Tron, Stogie, and to the others in the storm>we are thinking about ya. Post something when you can.

Still hanging in there. No damage luckily. Lots of rain though.

Just pisses me off to see across the street only lost power for an hour or so. The middle of the neighborhood feeds from the back street.

The generator is humming along nicely though and has not been an issue powering the whole house minus the central air. I have a window unit I pull from my shop to use in the bedroom.

The KU dish reflector was removed. The slimline stayed up as I have plenty of spares. The vhf and uhf OTA rig was pulled and moved the vhf to the attic for use. Glad I have the new Orleans locals on Directv, the Baton Rouge locals got a huge F for their coverage. The weather Channel is a joke as well. Enjoyed the great coverage from the new Orleans guys.

Sent from my C64 w/Epyx FastLoad cartridge

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)