HWS and Super Joey issue

Briant73

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Dec 28, 2004
Pennsylvania
My setup Dish HWS, Super Joey and 2 joeys. PTAT enabled, ehd added.

So the past few weeks I have noticed an odd trend (mainly on Sunday nights) where recorded programs were showing one, two, and even three recordings for one show. It seems something was going wrong with my dish hopper w/sling and recordings but I couldn't figure it out, the only thing different about Sundays is at times most or all the tuners are recording. Tongiht the tuner 1,2,3 recording shows, tuner 5 recording PTAT, but i could not use tuner 4 at all no matter what. Also shows stopped recording and restarted a second recording for no reason.

Waited for ptat to finish, rebooted the super joey, then waited and tried a check switch, tuners 4 and 5 staying on 1 of 1 while tuners 1-3 are at 4 of 4. Waited awhile and hit cancel, rebooted HWS and now it can't see the super joey... So tried another check switch and same failure. Unplugged hws, and super joey. Waited a few minutes plugged in HWS, waited ten minutes then plugged in super joey, waited ten minutes more and HWS is not seeing it. Turn on SJ and it says running tuner 1 and 2 switch test which complete and I now have 5 tuners showing on both HWS and SJ. Decided to run a check switch from HWS (doesn't seem to be allowed from SJ) and tuners 1-3 go through the test, after ten minutes tuner 4&5 stuck on 1 of 1.

Moca all looks good and system has functioned fine for a long time until the last few weeks.

Any ideas to try or do I need to contact Dish?

Sounds like the SJ isn't getting signal from the dish, which can be caused by a bad integrator, wire, LNB or SuperJoey, in that order. Good luck.

Looking over my dish install,
1 Hopper with Sling
1 Super Joey
2 Joeys

All wiring is 3ghz rated/rg6.
185834 Solo Node
200235 Integrator
Holland GHS-3 -7b 5-1002mhz Splitter
I see in the super joey/hopper dish wiring diagram shows a Holland HFS-3D splitter but my dish installer used the ghs-3 is that normal or at least not an issue?

So listing all that my other question is - are the last 3 components the most recent parts and correct parts for my application?

Last edited:
If you aren't getting the satellite signal to the SuperJoey to do a switch test and it doesn't add the 2 tuners to the system then the problem is one of the items I listed above. The sat signal for the SJ goes through the integrator not the node.

Replacing the parts is really the only way to fix it. Who installed it and how long ago?

You should probably contact one of the DIRT reps here on the forum and have them arrange a service call.

You should probably contact one of the DIRT reps here on the forum and have them arrange a service call.

Thanks already started a dialogue with them. I also ordered an integrator just in case since it's not that expensive.

the odd thing is PTAT seems to be recording fine.

Ptat should take over the very first tuner as it is a system priority even in one hopper no Joey setups. In would expect that to work just fine. Do you know how many lines come off your dish by chance? Is t just 2???

Ok, that's good right there. As far as the lnb, I would not think that was it if just the 2 SJ tuners not working. Could be, but highly unlikely. I'm gonna say cables, integrator, node in that order.

Not sure if this helps but anytime I reboot the super Joey and first turn it on afterwards it says check test tuner 1 and tuner 2. They pass. Again this is on the super Joey. Check switch still not working for tuner 4 and 5 on hopper.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts