HWS Audio probelm...

Symbol

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 24, 2009
Puerto Rico
Okay so one of my HWS (in my bedroom) is connected to a vizio m40i-a3 LED. After the most recent update every time I power on the TV there is no audio, I need to press volume up or down to get the audio working. Another bug is that when watching a recorded show and using 30 second skips the following happens:

Example
1st skip - takes me to a geico commercial
2nd skip - its showing something totally different but the geico audio is still playing!
3rd skip - the same geico audio with something totally unrelated playing.

Oh, and audion is straight up HDMI, no optical.

The only way to get rid of this loop is to pause and play the event again.

Anyone else have this? Guess its time to order a replacement...

Tried to call CS after a few days of just *dealing* with the problem. They refuse to ship me a replacement since this will be fixed in a future software update. I explained that both my hoppers have the same sw and its just happening on one of them. *facepalm*

Does your commercial issue happen all the time on multiple recordings?

It sounds like an HDMI handshake issue. Is the receiver powered on first or is the TV? Have you tried swapping hopper locations to see if the volume issue follows the Hopper?

I called just to try my luck but as you said it looks like DIRT is the way to go.

I swapped it and its the same problem but its just on the recordings which is wierd. It only happens when I skip commercials. Anything else I should try? I already did the reset/power off dance. The hard drive seems to be fine since it has been recording normally. The issue is when I try to skip using the 30sec buttons.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Sounds like an extreme case of the difference between Line and RF in Settings / Audio / Audio Output / Mode. I assume DD/PCM and Leveling Disabled.
I was finding my volume very low requiring setting 20 to 30 instead of the usual around 15 to 17, say.
I guess I usually had RF set before and somehow Line got set. Which I should use, I don't know. But now I do know why.
-Ken

Ken
I wish i knew what you said.
On live TV the sound is about double what it is on recorded TV. Recordings of some shows are louder than others, but live or live commercials are the loudest.

Is there a way to control this other than constantly adjusting the volume?

The commercial high volume is likely related to the volume shift between Dolby and stereo.
I think of it as 5 channel switching to 2 and splitting the "power" with your listening to 2 of 5.
Then there is the dynamic range change, too.

On live TV the sound is about double what it is on recorded TV. Recordings of some shows are louder than others, but live or live commercials are the loudest.

Is there a way to control this other than constantly adjusting the volume?

I find that I have to increase the volume on most of my network recordings over what I would listen to them live. I don't know why this is, but I have to bump the AVR about 4.0 decibels to hear comfortably when playing a recorded network show.

Sounds like an extreme case of the difference between Line and RF in Settings / Audio / Audio Output / Mode. I assume DD/PCM and Leveling Disabled.
I was finding my volume very low requiring setting 20 to 30 instead of the usual around 15 to 17, say.
I guess I usually had RF set before and somehow Line got set. Which I should use, I don't know. But now I do know why.
-Ken

Ive been told to use RF with leveling disabled, if you are using a receiver with 5.1 sound. I assume this is correct?

I thought Line was like the RCA plugs and RF was more for modulated outputs.
I don't really know which is "right". I use RF and did on the 722 and earlier to raise the level.
-Ken

Thanks to all of those who have replied. Zach did an amazing job getting a replacement receiver for me. I've been busy with work so I haven't been able to swap them. Hopefully in a couple of hours I'll be able to when I get home.

Just activated the replacement and.... its doing the same thing :/ I'm starting to think its my tv now. Its a Vizio M401iA3 and its only a few months old. any clues? Btw the recordings I used this time were fresh, not EHD transfers from the old receiver.

It for sure sounds like a handshake issue between the receiver and the TV. Especially because you can fix it by pressing pause or volume up etc. Maybe try turning the TV on first and wait 5 seconds and then turn on the Hopper or vice versa and see if audio starts up right away.

I agree, it seems to be that. I tried your suggestion and its all good. But when I go to a recorded program the first skip is normal, from the second onwards i get the bug :/ going to get a new HDMI cable and see if it makes a difference.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts