HWS or H3? Upgrade now or wait 2 months?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

asmcbride

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 20, 2005
WV/VA
ive got a 622 and a 211, was in the process of working with dirt to do a HWS + Joey upgrade to replace my 622 + 211. I was wanting to complete the upgrade prior to 1/14 to avoid the increase in dvr fee from 12 to 15 for hopper installs after 1/14.

I was all ready to schedule the install when the dirt member mentioned that perhaps I might want to wait as they expect for the H3 to be released in February.

Curious what others would do? I'm still running a 622 as my main receiver so it's obvious that I don't need to have the latest and greatest. I was getting a great deal on the upgrade so I'm planning to move ahead unless somewhere here can explain to me why I should absolutely wait for the H3 instead.

-McBride

The official announcements should be next week at CES. I'd at least wait until then to see what really is or is not coming.

I mentioned in another post a dish rep told me the wait will be worthwhile.

I've been tossing the idea around about upgrading as well to lock-in the grandfathered dvr fee.

Going to take the wait and see approach for myself.

I'm going to be getting a free, new replacement Hopper w/sling to replace my current HWS, which is faulty. But first I have to gather the funding to purchase a 2 TB EHD (~$99) and transfer all of my recordings so I can use them on the new Hopper.

I have over 160 movies on the hard drive, so it will take some time before it is all transferred.

Makes me wonder if I also should wait for the Hopper 3 to come out? Have they given any indication on what new features might be on the new generation? Maybe these new features will be interest to me and maybe not.

I'm also reading up above about a new DVR fee? Can anyone tell me what this is all about?

I'm going to be getting a free, new replacement Hopper w/sling to replace my current HWS, which is faulty. But first I have to gather the funding to purchase a 2 TB EHD (~$99) and transfer all of my recordings so I can use them on the new Hopper.

I have over 160 movies on the hard drive, so it will take some time before it is all transferred.

Makes me wonder if I also should wait for the Hopper 3 to come out? Have they given any indication on what new features might be on the new generation? Maybe these new features will be interest to me and maybe not.

I'm also reading up above about a new DVR fee? Can anyone tell me what this is all about?
Everyone needs to keep in mind that upgrading to HWS, for most people, is pretty much free. HW3 could cost up to $200, if like in the past.

IMO, it all comes down to your personal situation and needs. Meaning, if you are a person (or family) that really likes to be on the cutting edge of things then I would suggest waiting. Assume that the next generation of the Hopper will be a significant improvement and therefore you'll be at the lead of their "cool stuff."

If your financial situation is truly tight that you can't afford the additional $36 per year in fee costs then stick with the current Hoppers. Or if you're not really into all the bells and whistles and just want to turn the box on and watch/record TV on occasion.

One final (and maybe most important) thought. Make the assumption that a lot of the upcoming tech from any video or TV provider will most likely have 4K capabilities. The current Hoppers are just regular high definition. So, if you have a home with 4K TV(s) (or are thinking of upgrading in the next couple of years) then wait and see what Dish has to offer. You can pretty much guarantee that upcoming boxes will have 4K capability considering they did announce a 4K Joey.

http://www.dish.com/4k-joey/

IMO, it all comes down to your personal situation and needs. Meaning, if you are a person (or family) that really likes to be on the cutting edge of things then I would suggest waiting. Assume that the next generation of the Hopper will be a significant improvement and therefore you'll be at the lead of their "cool stuff."

If your financial situation is truly tight that you can't afford the additional $36 per year in fee costs then stick with the current Hoppers. Or if you're not really into all the bells and whistles and just want to turn the box on and watch/record TV on occasion.

One final (and maybe most important) thought. Make the assumption that a lot of the upcoming tech from any video or TV provider will most likely have 4K capabilities. The current Hoppers are just regular high definition. So, if you have a home with 4K TV(s) (or are thinking of upgrading in the next couple of years) then wait and see what Dish has to offer. You can pretty much guarantee that upcoming boxes will have 4K capability considering they did announce a 4K Joey.

http://www.dish.com/4k-joey/

Thanks, KAB & Jim,

I enjoy new features, but do not have (to my knowledge) a 4K TV. It is an HD TV, but not sure about the 4K. Is a 4K something a bit better than a conventional HD TV?

Is a 4K something a bit better than a conventional HD TV?

You are welcome. But for your sanity, never ask a loaded question like that! You're now going to get a million opinions on 4K video! ;)
Most likely if you do not know if your HD TV is really 4K then it isn't. Not a bad thing, though.

All kidding aside, 4K video (a.k.a. UHDTV - Ultra High Definition) is up and coming for about two or three years now for mainstream consumers. Only in the past year or so has it become more common and more importantly, affordable. Relatively speaking. It's still a fast growing area and until recently there wasn't much content in a true, native 4K format.

And yes, compared to standard "HD" video today, it is technically superior in picture resolution, etc.. Now, where the debate (and personal opinion) comes in is, is it really all that much of an improvement visually over the HD we know and love today. Going from the long standing standard definition (SD) video format to HD was a marked improvement. No denying that. But for some, the jump to UHD is not that much of a difference. I can see the difference, though not enough right now to go out and replace my perfectly good HD Sony TV. When/if it goes out (or the lottery ticket pays off) then yes, I will get a UHD TV to stay ahead of the curve.

If you are in just about any urban area head out to a Best Buy, Frys, big retailer like Sears or whatever other electronics / retailer you have in your area and you can look for yourself. IMO, unless you're a super TV watcher, want the utmost in picture quality and just have to have the newest gadgets, regular HD TVs are perfectly fine. Sure this current HD format will be around for a good deal longer.

Thanks for all of the input everyone, appreciate it. Considering the new hopper will prob not be a free upgrade and considering I'm not interested in getting a receiver that will output 4K at this time (there will really be extremely little true 4K content available anyway) I believe I'm going to move forward with my upgrade to HWS and get grandfathered in on the lower dvr fee for the time being. Like I said I've been happy with my 622 for many years now and I don't watch a lot of tv anyway so this will be a welcoming upgrade for me and I'm getting some nice additional discounts that will offset the increase in dvr fee from 7 to 12 for the next year so I figure why not go ahead. Thanks again.

Reactions: Tron2012 and DWS44
I like my Hoppers the way they are. Hard to believe they're gonna get better. I quess we'll soon see.

I just ordered the existing HWS because I neededa service call aftera new roof was put on. IF there are significantly more tuners I will wish I had wited (though getting time off eork later would be harder). We shall see.

You are welcome. But for your sanity, never ask a loaded question like that! You're now going to get a million opinions on 4K video! ;)
Most likely if you do not know if your HD TV is really 4K then it isn't. Not a bad thing, though.

All kidding aside, 4K video (a.k.a. UHDTV - Ultra High Definition) is up and coming for about two or three years now for mainstream consumers. Only in the past year or so has it become more common and more importantly, affordable. Relatively speaking. It's still a fast growing area and until recently there wasn't much content in a true, native 4K format.

And yes, compared to standard "HD" video today, it is technically superior in picture resolution, etc.. Now, where the debate (and personal opinion) comes in is, is it really all that much of an improvement visually over the HD we know and love today. Going from the long standing standard definition (SD) video format to HD was a marked improvement. No denying that. But for some, the jump to UHD is not that much of a difference. I can see the difference, though not enough right now to go out and replace my perfectly good HD Sony TV. When/if it goes out (or the lottery ticket pays off) then yes, I will get a UHD TV to stay ahead of the curve.

If you are in just about any urban area head out to a Best Buy, Frys, big retailer like Sears or whatever other electronics / retailer you have in your area and you can look for yourself. IMO, unless you're a super TV watcher, want the utmost in picture quality and just have to have the newest gadgets, regular HD TVs are perfectly fine. Sure this current HD format will be around for a good deal longer.

Thank you. Sounds like just "regular" HD will be fine with me.

Reactions: Tron2012
Does Tuesday coincide with the national electronics show? Will Dish be making some announcements?
Yes, the Consumer Electronics Show kicks off on Tuesday and we will be there covering it. DISH has a few new things to announce and a few of them are QUITE exciting.

Looking at my Calendar it appears the DISH press conference is at 6PM ET (3PM PT)

So look for full details then until then I need to keep my lips zipped. :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts