HWS to Hopper 3 Transfers?

EddieZ

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Mar 18, 2015
Springfield
I saw that there was a 'beta testing' of transfers going on (was that at CES?). I'm wondering if anyone has a sense for if/when this will become reality.

I called Dish about the upgrade from HWS to H3 and they have said they will cover everything associated with the upgrade (including waiving the technician fee) - that includes 3 Joey 2s to replace my Super Joey/Joey/Joey lineup for 4 TVs. Seems like a pretty good deal but the inability to transfer old recordings without buying a 2TB hard drive (that I would use just this once) is holding me up - I don't think Dish should have to buy us new hard drives for this purpose, but I'm hopeful they can move this H-to-H transfer to market to make the decision easier for some of us on the fence.

They would get me for two more years if they could figure this out - I know a lot of you want the upgrade regardless of old recordings and others of you have external drives so it's not an issue - I can't make peace with the family on this unless the old recordings get bumped over and I'm stuck on the idea of Dish covering the upgrade when the two-year commitment seems like it should be the customer contribution IMO. If the new Hopper had a "can't miss" feature that we are desperate for, I could rationalize the hardware purchase, but without 4k in our house, the chief selling point for me (speed!) is a tough one to pay out cash for.

I saw that there was a 'beta testing' of transfers going on (was that at CES?). I'm wondering if anyone has a sense for if/when this will become reality.

I called Dish about the upgrade from HWS to H3 and they have said they will cover everything associated with the upgrade (including waiving the technician fee) - that includes 3 Joey 2s to replace my Super Joey/Joey/Joey lineup for 4 TVs. Seems like a pretty good deal but the inability to transfer old recordings without buying a 2TB hard drive (that I would use just this once) is holding me up - I don't think Dish should have to buy us new hard drives for this purpose, but I'm hopeful they can move this H-to-H transfer to market to make the decision easier for some of us on the fence.

They would get me for two more years if they could figure this out - I know a lot of you want the upgrade regardless of old recordings and others of you have external drives so it's not an issue - I can't make peace with the family on this unless the old recordings get bumped over and I'm stuck on the idea of Dish covering the upgrade when the two-year commitment seems like it should be the customer contribution IMO. If the new Hopper had a "can't miss" feature that we are desperate for, I could rationalize the hardware purchase, but without 4k in our house, the chief selling point for me (speed!) is a tough one to pay out cash for.

What important recordings do you have that would keep you from upgrading to a new receiver? If they really are that important then that is the perfect reason to invest in an external hard drive.

The H3 has two Ethernet ports, one of which you can use to connect your old Hopper to transfer recordings. The tech will leave the old hopper with you after installation to allow you to do this. When you are done, contact Dish and they will send you a box for return shipping. When I set up my install yesterday, I was told that there would be no charge to do that.

Here is the chat transcript:
[Me]: I know that recordings can be transferred from the H2 to the H3 via Ethernet.
[Me]: If I choose to do that, do we need to arrange for return shipping of the old H2?
[Dish Rep] (ID: EOD): Yes. That would work
[Me]: Is there a charge for that?
[Dish Re(ID: EOD): No, you just need to contact us to ship you the box for the receiver

The H3 has two Ethernet ports, one of which you can use to connect your old Hopper to transfer recordings. The tech will leave the old hopper with you after installation to allow you to do this. When you are done, contact Dish and they will send you a box for return shipping. When I set up my install yesterday, I was told that there would be no charge to do that.

Here is the chat transcript:
[Me]: I know that recordings can be transferred from the H2 to the H3 via Ethernet.
[Me]: If I choose to do that, do we need to arrange for return shipping of the old H2?
[Dish Rep] (ID: EOD): Yes. That would work
[Me]: Is there a charge for that?
[Dish Re(ID: EOD): No, you just need to contact us to ship you the box for the receiver

That's interesting because I chatted with them this AM and the CSR said this is a feature that is not yet available - I'm wondering if anyone here has actually done it yet (?).

As far as I know it's not working yet.
There's a menu item for it under Diagnostics and it appears H3 is waiting for another Hopper to appear. My H2 left with the installer yesterday so I can't try it but maybe someone that still has their old Hopper can give it a try. If it doesn't work, my guess is that the old Hopper needs new software.

There's a menu option on older Hoppers to add a local channel and that doesn't work either.

Just because there's a menu option doesn't mean it works.

Reactions: SandFarmer
It worked for me yesterday, though I'll note that my Hopper 2 had the Carbon OS on it--I'm not sure if that makes a difference. I did experience a couple of glitches along the way, too.

1) The Hopper 3 reset itself several times during the transfer process. If this proves to be a replicable bug in the transfer process itself (and not just part of the 24-48 hour "settling in" period for the new Hopper), you might want to take that into consideration if you're recording. And I do suspect it is a bug in the transfer process itself, as once my recordings finished transferring, my Hopper 3 no longer reset itself.

2) During the transfer process, an on-screen message reads that you will be notified when the transfer process is complete. I was never actually notified, even after I saw all my recordings on the Hopper 3--in fact, when I returned to that screen, it still showed that the transfer was in process, and the Ethernet activity indicators on both Hoppers were still blinking. However, all of the recordings from my Hopper 2 did gradually populate on my Hopper 3, and they are all perfectly playable on it.

I couldn't get the ethernet transfer to work from my HWS 2 to the new H3. It would say it was doing it. but it never did.
The HWS 2 has 529 update (not Carbon).
So iv'e been transferring using a EHD.

It seems to me that this is a contradictory post. If you have enough old recordings that you want to save (on the old Hopper) than it stands to reason you would be a candidate for a full time EHD- to save old recordings. So while, yes, you would have to purchase the EHD, it wouldn't be used just this once.

In the past when we first were able to use a EHD, it was a pain to have to transfer content back to the H1 to watch it.

So I 've resisted transferring content to EHD, and haven't used an EHD in years.

Now you can easily watch content on the EHD, with out transferring it back to the Hopper, you can even access the EHD from your Joey now. After seeing that you can access content this way now, I'm leaving all of my content that I took off of my H2 on the EHD. I see no reason to transfer it back to my H3. And now my H3 drive is only 11% used. It won't take long for that to increase.
I guess my point is that I think an investment in a good USB 3.0 drive would be worth it.
And that you will continually use.

Dish needs to add a way to password a folder, so that you can store content that you may not want others too see.

Last edited:
You have been able to watch from EHD on most receivers, not new with H3. Recordings I want to keep are all backed up to EHD, just plug in when you want to watch (or leave plugged in) on all 3 Hoppers & 722, has never been a reason to transfer back to receiver. EHD's are a useful feature.

Last edited:
In the past when we first were able to use a EHD, it was a pain to have to transfer content back to the H1 to watch it.

So I 've resisted transferring content to EHD, and haven't used an EHD in years.

Now you can easily watch content on the EHD, with out transferring it back to the Hopper, you can even access the EHD from your Joey now. After seeing that you can access content this way now, I'm leaving all of my content that I took off of my H2 on the EHD. I see no reason to transfer it back to my H3. And now my H3 drive is only 11% used. It won't take long for that to increase.
I guess my point is that I think an investment in a good USB 3.0 drive would be worth it.
And that you will continually use.

Dish needs to add a way to password a folder, so that you can store content that you may not want others too see.

Any time I've transferred recording to the EHD I've never taken them off. I would watch recordings from the EHD all the time on my Hopper 2 and it's even easier now.

hey guys how do you transfer shows from a hard drive to the hopper 3 i have everything loaded on the hard drive and i want to know what should i do next thanks

Go to DVRs list, select sources and change to see the EHD, then select options, manage recordings and it should become obvious

Sent from my iPad Pro using Tapatalk

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)