HWS U203 Bug Reports

After upgrading to the CUI last night, my HWS now has the U203 software & my Super Joey has the U353. And tonight I came across what certainly seems to be a glitch.

When I accessed my EHD, I navigated through to a recorded TV episode (an old "Gunsmoke" episode) to watch. As expected, when I had the episode information on the screen, the TV picture thumbnail was in the upper right corner of my TV.

But I was astounded when I pressed the button to begin playing the episode -- because the episode began playing inside that thumbnail while the rest of the screen was totally black. I got out of the recorded program and selected it once more to try it again -- and it did the same thing.

I finally broke out of the recording and ended up back on live TV -- and even the live TV was relegated to that tiny thumbnail in the upper right corner as the rest of the screen remained black.

I don't recall what I did after this, but I just began pressing every remote button in sight out of frustration and it somehow returned to a normal picture. When I went back to the EHD to play the episode, it was normal again also.

I hope this doesn't happen anymore because it is beyond frustrating for a TV picture to be reduced to an upper right corner thumbnail while the rest of a 42" HDTV is blacker than a coal mine. LOL

Something strange just happened updated at 12:25 am did the usual update thing except when it found sat signal it went to live tv and the channel I was watching instead of screen saver and have to power on myself.Thats a plus...I have u203

After upgrading to the CUI last night, my HWS now has the U203 software & my Super Joey has the U353. And tonight I came across what certainly seems to be a glitch.

When I accessed my EHD, I navigated through to a recorded TV episode (an old "Gunsmoke" episode) to watch. As expected, when I had the episode information on the screen, the TV picture thumbnail was in the upper right corner of my TV.

But I was astounded when I pressed the button to begin playing the episode -- because the episode began playing inside that thumbnail while the rest of the screen was totally black. I got out of the recorded program and selected it once more to try it again -- and it did the same thing.

I finally broke out of the recording and ended up back on live TV -- and even the live TV was relegated to that tiny thumbnail in the upper right corner as the rest of the screen remained black.

I don't recall what I did after this, but I just began pressing every remote button in sight out of frustration and it somehow returned to a normal picture. When I went back to the EHD to play the episode, it was normal again also.

I hope this doesn't happen anymore because it is beyond frustrating for a TV picture to be reduced to an upper right corner thumbnail while the rest of a 42" HDTV is blacker than a coal mine. LOL
If this happens again I would try a reboot of the EHD and the hopper.

It's not the build that's hosed - its me! A simple restart has corrected any of the "bugs" I thought I was seeing! Duh!!

To be totally accurate, a reboot did solve some, but not all of my initial playback problems with existing recordings. Some of the recordings icons are grayed out and they will not play from the HWS with the new UI. They will however play from my H2K and Joey. This seems to be where most of the issues are. In some cases, playback attempts yield nothing but a black screen. So far, other functions seem to be ok.

I'll do that with the HWS. But, to reboot the EHD, would I just unplug its power cord? It's a 2 TB WD MyBook and I can't see any buttons on it that would be to reset it.
If your ehd is mated to the hws turn the ehd off click ok on screen turn the ehd on click ok on screen should be reboot....

Still frustrated with nightly updates! WJ abruptly goes to black screen with 1303 message, (no more Y/N option to avoid), then 35 min later it does it again (1304 message) when the Hopper resets & loses MOCA. I had hoped Dish would finally listen to all the complaints from customers, not sure about updating now.

Your Hopper didn't download the updated Super Joey software. It still has S580, which is the old interface. That's strange.... I don't think there's anything at all that you can do .... except wait. It doesn't seem like there's anything broken on Dish's end either as others with Super Joeys have had theirs updated fine. Theirs read W106, U153, U253, U353, U453.

My SJ is still on U352. Hopper is still showing U352 in available Joey software. Mini guide is still blank on SJ. :coco

Last edited:
I've seen oddities with the mini-window as well. What I've seen was simply that the DVR, guide, etc graphics overlaid on the program so you see a fraction of the TV show you're watching. It does that for a few seconds maybe, then resizes properly.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

The banner is the same thing that the cable companies use to put adds on . Verizon lets you turn the banner off . Hopefully you will be able to with dish before the adds start.

This is something that wouldn't strike me as UI-related but the circumstances seem to tie it.... I have a Dish Pass timer set for "van halen". During the previous UI update (U201, the one they took away), my DVR recorded a show from VH1 Classic (163) that had something about VH in it. Yesterday, on U203, it recorded a different show, again from VH1 Classic. We don't subscribe to this channel though. In the 2 years or so that I've had this Dish Pass timer set up, this hasn't happened before.

How could the UI cause this, if this is the case ? It seems pretty coincidental otherwise.

After watching my ROKU when I switch inputs back to my Hopper all I get is a blank screen with no sound.
Menus and guide work and the CC for the tuned channel display.
Changing channels returns everything back.

A couple of times when turning on my HWS and going to the guide, it gets stuck on the first page of available channels in my custom list. It won't let me scroll up or down. I have to hit the red button, choose "All Subscribed", then hit the red button again and re-select my custom list. I can then scroll through all channels on my custom list.

If your ehd is mated to the hws turn the ehd off click ok on screen turn the ehd on click ok on screen should be reboot....

Not sure if I understand. Yes, my EHD is plugged into the HWS with the USB cable. Is there an on-screen way, through the HWS, that I can reboot the EHD? Or would I just unplug the EHD's power cord and plug it back in?

Thanks.

It's back! U203 .
Thanks for verifying. More curious than anything. It's kinda like waiting for Christmas. Still sounds very buggy.

And for the "Guide Banner" haters, me too, there was a setting in the Guide Set Up that allowed that to be turned off. Didn't create anymore space. It's that the banner in your face was gone.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts