HWS U203 Bug Reports

Hi, I used the technique in this forum to pull down the new ui. Over all it is pretty nice looking. Aside from Netflix search integration, I did not see any new functionality added to the HWS so it seems to be simply a face lift for the underlying functions.

I've used it for a few days now and am getting used to the new look. Here are a few things that I noticed while testing U203.

1. Battery critical warning. Every time I changed a channel, it told me that the remote battery was critically low. I've used a universal remote control for years. The Hopper remote is buried in a drawer somewhere without batteries. I went into menu settings and unpaired the listed Hopper remote from the Hopper. The critical battery messages continued until I rebooted the Hopper and then they went away.

2. Reordering timers. I had some issues with reordering timers. After getting the new ui, I changed my core package to add some additional channels and then added timers for them. When it came time to reorder them, I'd pick a program that I want to move up or down and then when I tried to move it, it would move another timer instead or not move at all. This continued until I restarted the Hopper and it seems to be working correctly since then.

3. Free on demand is not free. An OLD complaint but it persists with U203. On Demand lists several "free" tv shows on premium channels that I don't subscribe to. When I try to watch them, only then does it tell me that I need to subscribe to get access but then doesn't even tell me what premium they are on.

4. After a show ended, the pop up window defaulted to the more episodes list. When I finished watching the show, the box popped up to delete it, go to DVR, or go to live tv . The cursor position was at the bottom of a long list of on demand episodes and I had to up, up up, up, up, up to get to the "delete show" choice. The cursor should default to the options for the show just finished and require a down press to get to the selection of additional on demand episodes.

5. Wrong show details. I was watching while recording a show. During the show, I switched to finish watching a recorded episode of another show. When that show ended, I deleted it then went back to watching the show that was still recording. When that show ended, it popped up a box to delete, go to dvr, go to live TV showing the description and title of the earlier show that I had already watched and deleted instead of the one that I was currently ending.

6. Timers in the guide used to be color coded for which of the three tuners that they use. Now they are gray for skipped and red for all recordings. This change is probably because the UI code is shared with the Hopper 3 that has far too many tuners to color each of them so the HWS has now lost this feature.

7. Changes are instant so they no longer have a "save" option. The auto save is nice but also worries me. An example is when picking channels for a favorites list. It takes several minutes of adding and removing channels to customize a favorites list then if I change my mind, there is no way to cancel. The only option is "back". There seems to no longer be a way to back out without saving changes.

8. Unable to unpair portable media devices. There are several portable media devices for old iPads that I no longer have. Choosing unpair and then confirming does nothing. They remain in the list.

9. Record later showing to resolve conflict removes the new timer. If I try to add a timer and already have three shows recording, it will ask me to resolve the conflict. If I choose the record the next showing option, it just cancels out and does not save the timer at all.

10. Page down does not work in the edit timer options screen. The choices to prioritize or protect a timer are down in the list off the bottom of the screen. Page down doesn't take me to the bottom of the page the way I keep expecting it to do.

11. Scrolling the channel guide is slow and choppy. It was smooth with the older UI. Also some channel logos such as NFL Network are too small to be readable.

Reactions: lazydogmot
Downloaded U203 yesterday and I like it. I have noticed that under "mobile devices" the unpair doesn't work. I use a Logitech Harmony Home Control remote to control the Hopper paired over WiFi. I noticed that the recall doesn't work. If I unpair the hub and let it control the Hopper via IR then it works. So it seems it is a control over WiFi issue.

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk

I've had a couple of recorded shows that show as 100% watched, even though they were NOT watched. For example, The Venture Brothers recorded at midnight Sunday night. That's well past my bedtime. When I tried to watch it Monday afternoon, the show was 100% watched, and I had to 'Start Over'. The only way my wife would have watched this is if her dead body fell on the remote and accidentally started it.

Could the new UI be assuming that a program that is being recorded on a tuner that is also active on a Joey is being watched even though the attached TV is off?

I've had a couple of recorded shows that show as 100% watched, even though they were NOT watched. For example, The Venture Brothers recorded at midnight Sunday night. That's well past my bedtime. When I tried to watch it Monday afternoon, the show was 100% watched, and I had to 'Start Over'. The only way my wife would have watched this is if her dead body fell on the remote and accidentally started it.

Could the new UI be assuming that a program that is being recorded on a tuner that is also active on a Joey is being watched even though the attached TV is off?
Maybe there is more than one issue here but it seems that if "prepare for mobile transfer" is enabled, that programs show as "watched" - mine don't seem to do that since I've turned the option off.

Has anyone been able to create - and keep - more than 5 folders? That was supposed to be possible but I have found that if I create 6 or 7 (or whatever), whenever the new Hopper restarts, I only have 5 folders remaining and the programs that were in the extra folders are now back "no folder land". Anyone else?

Same with the recorded watched bar . My dvr is showing programs as new and 100 percent watched at the same time . Now I have to read the info about the program and think did I watch that .

Where do you switch off prepare for mobile? Mine is doing the 100 percent watched thing as well. I use an app on my phone that tracks what shows I've watched and which ones I haven't. Still a pain in the butt though.

Never mind. I checked my DVR and they seem to be good now. What it appears happened to me is any new recordings that I haven't watched when I did the update to CUI are shown as new and 100 percent watched. Anything that has recorded since I updated is good to go.

Where do you switch off prepare for mobile? Mine is doing the 100 percent watched thing as well. I use an app on my phone that tracks what shows I've watched and which ones I haven't. Still a pain in the butt though.

1. Press the MENU button
2. Select Settings
3. Select Timer Defaults
4. Select Smart Prepare for Mobile

Reactions: hahler2
I have two hoppers with sling both on the carbon ui. Woke up this morning and all of my recordings on the second Hopper are now on the first. The second Hopper shows no recordings at all.

I have two hoppers with sling both on the carbon ui. Woke up this morning and all of my recordings on the second Hopper are now on the first. The second Hopper shows no recordings at all.

That is a new one.
Interesting.
So far after a few days, most everything seems to be working correctly. Just exiting the apps, causes an issue, and I still wish you could just hit Live TV button to exit recording playback instead of channel up or down.

Streaming On demand seems to work fine.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

I spoke to customer service tonight and they said the latest version is U204 for HWS and that I should get it tonight since I don't already have it. Anyone on U204 yet?

I'll be watching for U204. I sure hope it is better than 203. I again lost the new folders I had made. The new folders will hang around for a few days, then I'll find them gone and all the recordings are back in the "no folder" status.

Also, yesterday I was listening to Sirius Classic Vinyl when a couple songs came on that I like very much. So I hit the backward button and positioned it just prior to the start of the first song. Then I hit record and jumped back to live TV. When I later went to check the recording, I found that it had completely missed the first song and joined the second one "in progress." This feature on the Hopper has always been very choppy and unreliable. Sad to see that the new UI apparently has not improved things.

Since this bug existed before the new CUI download not sure it belongs here but..... while watching any recording, part way through it will stop and act like it finished playing to the end. Then we have to exit, go back to the recording in there DVR and restart the recording from the beginning (no option to resume). This happens on about 25% of the recordings we watch. Doesn't seem to be any discernible rhyme or reason as to which ones this happens to.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
Well.....this happens on my Hopper as wel.. No U201 202 or 203 upgrades. Still using S529

Well.....this happens on my Hopper as wel.. No U201 202 or 203 upgrades. Still using S529
I personally am glad that I upgraded to the CarbonUI. Like any software change, it takes a while to find and get used to navigating the menus.
I have not had any significant problems with U203 on both Hoppers with Sling (H2).

I suspect that the problem you are having with unfinished recordings will not be cured by the new UI, now or when the "official" release arrives. I suspect that replacing your H2 will be the only way to fix your problem.

I have a failure to record problem on one of my H2s and hoped the new UI would fix that but alas, it happened again last night. I'm not ready to replace that H2 yet though so will continue to record on my other H2 as a safety backup. A power plug reboot of the offending H2 always fixes the problem for a while but some times I forget to test to see if it can record that day.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)