Hybrid Tap help

07psdcrew

Original poster
May 10, 2021
Ashby Ma
Hey all. I have dish network with a hopper and a Joey. I wanted to duplicate the setup from my camper in my home. I wanted to buy a 203962 Hybrid Tap (Pink label), but in my haste, I bought a 190941 (grey label) Hybrid Tap.
Just curious if this tap will work as the order hasn’t shipped yet.
Thanks for any help.

Attachments

• D4B71BE7-C73F-4FE3-987A-815A5C10DA83.jpeg
    D4B71BE7-C73F-4FE3-987A-815A5C10DA83.jpeg
    83.3 KB · Views: 363
The gray label Tap is not hybrid (DPH), it is designed for DPX, which is for use with a node.

The answer to if this is going to work is going to depend on the rest of your equipment. If you are using a Hopper 1/2 then its fine, as a Hybrid LNBF will run in DPX mode to serve it. But if the Hopper is either the 3 or Duo, it will be running in Hybrid/DPH mode, which means the tap may not work.

Now it may be fine, the frequencies should be similar both for MoCa and sat signal (DPX is about 950-3000mhz and DPH is 950-2150mhz iirc, while MoCa for both should be 675-850), the only problem I can think of is that one technology may have different electrical characteristics then the other, like voltages or power draw, which may or may not be a huge deal.

Another idea is temporarily running a cat5 cable from Hopper to Joey if that is even possible with your setup.

TLDR: Not a problem if you are on the Hopper 1/2, would recommend ordering a proper tap if its the Hopper 3/Duo and Wally for that matter.

Reactions: charlesrshell
The gray label Tap is not hybrid (DPH), it is designed for DPX, which is for use with a node.

The answer to if this is going to work is going to depend on the rest of your equipment. If you are using a Hopper 1/2 then its fine, as a Hybrid LNBF will run in DPX mode to serve it. But if the Hopper is either the 3 or Duo, it will be running in Hybrid/DPH mode, which means the tap may not work.

Now it may be fine, the frequencies should be similar both for MoCa and sat signal (DPX is about 950-3000mhz and DPH is 950-2150mhz iirc, while MoCa for both should be 675-850), the only problem I can think of is that one technology may have different electrical characteristics then the other, like voltages or power draw, which may or may not be a huge deal.

Another idea is temporarily running a cat5 cable from Hopper to Joey if that is even possible with your setup.

TLDR: Not a problem if you are on the Hopper 1/2, would recommend ordering a proper tap if its the Hopper 3/Duo and Wally for that matter.
Thank you Ethan…. I have a Hopper with Sling, not sure if that qualifies as a hopper 3…..and then a wired Joey.

I have a Hopper with Sling, not sure if that qualifies as a hopper 3…..and then a wired Joey.
The HwS is a 2nd generation Hopper. The 1st gen Hopper was called a Hopper 2000 IIRC. The Hopper 3 is the one requiring a different type of LNB (a hybrid) to feed 16 satellite tuners.

Reactions: charlesrshell
Hey all. I have dish network with a hopper and a Joey. I wanted to duplicate the setup from my camper in my home. I wanted to buy a 203962 Hybrid Tap (Pink label), but in my haste, I bought a 190941 (grey label) Hybrid Tap.
Just curious if this tap will work as the order hasn’t shipped yet.
Thanks for any help.
If you have a Hopper3, you have a hybrid LNBF and will need a Hybrid Tap. Older Hoppers usually have a DDP LNBF, the regular tap will work.

Does the hopper with sling work with a hybrid LNB using the tap? And with a DPP LNB using a node?
Hopper with sling uses either a DPP LNB with a Node or Hybrid LNB to get signal for itself. To add Joeys, for DPP systems the node has a port called client you can use or split if you need more then one, and taps allow you to have a extra client port near the Hopper. As for Hybrid LNB systems, you would need a Hybrid solo hub that has 2 client ports that can also be split if more than 2 Joeys are necessary, or just like with the DPP system a Hybrid tap to get an extra client port near the Hopper.