Hopper with Sling OTA dongle options (if any)?

DJ Lon

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Nov 29, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
My neighbor came over this morning, it seems his other half has finally broken down over the local Tegna dispute.

I have a Hopper 3 and Dish gave me my dual tuner adapter with an antenna during a previous dispute a few years back. They have a Hopper with Sling (see attachment, if needed).

I've searched the forums here and on google but there seems to be no clear advice on what OTA adapter is needed...the single tuner one (without the cord) or the dual one. "Hopper" almost seems to be a generic name on the forum for all Dish receivers. Closest thing I could find on here was this but a lot of the links are broken.

I almost sent him to Air TV to get the $30 adapter but I don't want him to spend that money if it's the wrong thing. I see ''Blockbuster'' on their living room receiver and think to myself "is it possibly too old?"

I'd like to help them get OTA so can anyone here point me in the right direction so I can tell them either which adapter to buy or if it can't be done?

Attachments

• Hopper_wSling_Product_Sheet.pdf
    1.4 MB · Views: 246
Last edited:
My neighbor came over this morning, it seems his other half has finally broken down over the local Tegna dispute.

I have a Hopper 3 and Dish gave me my dual tuner adapter with an antenna during a previous dispute a few years back. They have a Hopper with Sling (see attachment, if needed).

I've searched the forums here and on google but there seems to be no clear advice on what OTA adapter is needed...the single tuner one (without the cord) or the dual one. "Hopper" almost seems to be a generic name on the forum for all Dish receivers. Closest thing I could find on here was this but a lot of the links are broken.

I almost sent him to Air TV to get the $30 adapter but I don't want him to spend that money if it's the wrong thing. I see ''Blockbuster'' on their living room receiver and think to myself "is it possibly too old?"

I'd like to help them get OTA so can anyone here point me in the right direction so I can tell them either which adapter to buy or if it can't be done?
Both single and dual tuner OTA modules work on the Hopper sling/2. Compatibility goes something like this:

Single tuner: Compatible with all Hopper family receivers, Wally's and specific ViP receivers (211z)
Dual tuner: Compatible with all Hopper family receivers and Wally only, if connected to a Hopper2000 (og Hopper) it will only provide one tuner.

So either will work for him. Now, as far as the AirTV tuner goes, my guess that it will work fine, but I don't have a Hopper 2 to make sure. Also using the AirTV module on one of my H3's, the other one has a Dish branded one.

PS: Has he contacted Dish to see if he's eligible for the free one?

Both single and dual tuner OTA modules work on the Hopper sling/2. Compatibility goes something like this:

Single tuner: Compatible with all Hopper family receivers, Wally's and specific ViP receivers (211z)
Dual tuner: Compatible with all Hopper family receivers and Wally only, if connected to a Hopper2000 (og Hopper) it will only provide one tuner.

So either will work for him. Now, as far as the AirTV tuner goes, my guess that it will work fine, but I don't have a Hopper 2 to make sure. Also using the AirTV module on one of my H3's, the other one has a Dish branded one.
Cool, thanks. I will let them know.

And I'm aware of the Air TV compatibility for the H3, I had bought one for me during a dispute and when Dish installed my antenna for free I hid it so they left me their adapter and when I moved I just gave it to my Mom so she could get OTA; no need for 2.

PS: Has he contacted Dish to see if he's eligible for the free one?
He said all Dish offered him was a one time $5 off the locals. I don't think Dish today is as gung ho as they were in the past with passing out dongles and antennas like Halloween candy.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 3)