Hypothetical MLB Divisional Realignment

HD MM

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Nov 2, 2006
Believeland, Ohio
In the "How Should Major League Baseball be Run" thread, I touched on one of the things I'd like to change if I were Commissioner. One of the first things would be to re-align the divisions. All teams, whether AL or NL will be susceptible. It makes no sense how the AL West has 4 teams and the NL Central has 6 teams, yet the rest of the league all have 5!

In this re-alignment, I keep some vintage rivalries together, while aligning some current rivalries between cities that aren't reflected in the current setup. All in all, location was the ultimate factor in my new alignment. And now, without further ado, here are my new divisions.......

American League

East Coast Elitist Division
NY Yankees
Boston Red Sox
Philadelphia Phillies
NY Mets
Toronto Blue Jays

Blue Collar Division
Cleveland Indians
Detroit Tigers
Cincinnati Reds
Pittsburgh Pirates
Chicago White Sox

Mason Dixon Line Division
Baltimore Orioles
Washington Nationals
Florida Marlins
Tampa Bay Rays
Atlanta Braves

National League

Middle America Division
Minnesota Twins
Milwaukee Brewers
Chicago Cubs
St. Louis Cardinals
Kansas City Royals

Home on the Range Division
Arizona Diamondbacks
Texas Rangers
Houston Astros
Colorado Rockies
Seattle Mariners

Golden State Division
LA Angels
LA Dodgers
SF Giants
SD Padres
Oakland A's

Wow! That Elitist division would really be tough. Can you imagine Yankees, Red Sox and Phillies playing head to head to head in the same division. Unlikely to ever happen but it sure is fun to speculate. Keep on talking baseball. We can't forget it just because the series is over. I'm ready for spring training.

The reason for the imbalance is because you need an even number in each league, unless interleague play happens every week.

I say keep the teams in the leagues they are in now, too much resistance to moving old guards teams from one league to another.

They should expand the AL by two more teams, then split both leagues into 4 divisions of 4 teams each. Get rid of the wildcards at the same time, thus bringing back some of the old pennant races at the end of the season.

Short of expansion, at least split the NL into 4 divisions of 4 teams. Even divisions will allow for a balanced schedule within the division, something that was killed when they split into 3 division.

Wow! That Elitist division would really be tough. Can you imagine Yankees, Red Sox and Phillies playing head to head to head in the same division. Unlikely to ever happen but it sure is fun to speculate. Keep on talking baseball. We can't forget it just because the series is over. I'm ready for spring training.

You guys have the most money, so it's only right you have to compete against other teams with similar salary structures to decide the division winner. :) IMO, it's a more even playing field than the current setup where the Yankees compete against the likes of the Orioles and the Phils having to compete against the Nats.

I know it is all you opinion, but you can't move the Reds out of the NL. They started it.

I'd rather go back to the days of having the Pirates, Philles and mets in the same division.

Yeah I liked the old West Division. The Reds won the last year of it. Playing the Dodgers, Giants, and Braves were some good times.

Why not realign into two leagues based on salary structure?
  1. Begin by specifying two payroll ranges. Then each franchise would choose in which it would like to compete.
  2. The playoff champions of leach league would play in the World Series.
  3. At the end of each season, teams would be given the opportunity to realign, as long as there remained three divisions of five teams in each league.
The leagues could be:

Premier League (upper tier)
East - Yankees, Mets, Red Sox, Phillies, Braves
Central - Cubs, White Sox, Cardinals, Astros, Tigers
West - Dodgers, Giants, Angels, Mariners, Rangers
Champion League (lower tier)
East - Orioles, Rays, Marlins, Nationals, Jays
Central - Twins, Indians, Brewers, Reds, Pirates
West - Padres, Royals, A's, Rockies, Diamondbacks

Why not realign into two leagues based on salary structure?
  1. Begin by specifying two payroll ranges. Then each franchise would choose in which it would like to compete.
  2. The playoff champions of leach league would play in the World Series.
  3. At the end of each season, teams would be given the opportunity to realign, as long as there remained three divisions of five teams in each league.
The leagues could be:

Premier League (upper tier)
East - Yankees, Mets, Red Sox, Phillies, Braves
Central - Cubs, White Sox, Cardinals, Astros, Tigers
West - Dodgers, Giants, Angels, Mariners, Rangers
Champion League (lower tier)
East - Orioles, Rays, Marlins, Nationals, Jays
Central - Twins, Indians, Brewers, Reds, Pirates
West - Padres, Royals, A's, Rockies, Diamondbacks

Wouldn't work, a lot of teams would try to get into the lower tier to get a free ride to the world series.

Better yet, keep the Premier and Champions League concept, but each league has a champion of it's own league and that's it. The World Series is between two Premier League teams.

The winner of the Champions League World Series gets promoted to the Premier League next year, so it will be a huge deal. And the bottom team from the Premier League drops down.

There can be some inter-league play, but it has to be even.

We can also call the Champions League AAAA...;)

Sandra

How in the hell are the Houston Astros, Seattle Mariners and Texas Rangers in the "Premiere League" and the Indians are in the Champions League?

How in the hell are the Houston Astros, Seattle Mariners and Texas Rangers in the "Premiere League" and the Indians are in the Champions League?

If a team is put in the Champions League and doesn't belong there, they'll win it and move right up. Same thing for the Premier League. If a team cannot compete there, they will drop right down.

That's the beauty of it, it's decided on the field, not in an internet forum! ;)

Sandra

If a team is put in the Champions League and doesn't belong there, they'll win it and move right up. Same thing for the Premier League. If a team cannot compete there, they will drop right down.

That's the beauty of it, it's decided on the field, not in an internet forum! ;)

Sandra

Like the English Premier League. 3 teams relegated each year, and 3 teams move up. I like it!!

In the "How Should Major League Baseball be Run" thread, I touched on one of the things I'd like to change if I were Commissioner. One of the first things would be to re-align the divisions. All teams, whether AL or NL will be susceptible. It makes no sense how the AL West has 4 teams and the NL Central has 6 teams, yet the rest of the league all have 5!

In this re-alignment, I keep some vintage rivalries together, while aligning some current rivalries between cities that aren't reflected in the current setup. All in all, location was the ultimate factor in my new alignment. And now, without further ado, here are my new divisions.......

American League

East Coast Elitist Division
NY Yankees
Boston Red Sox
Philadelphia Phillies
NY Mets
Toronto Blue Jays

Blue Collar Division
Cleveland Indians
Detroit Tigers
Cincinnati Reds
Pittsburgh Pirates
Chicago White Sox

Mason Dixon Line Division
Baltimore Orioles
Washington Nationals
Florida Marlins
Tampa Bay Rays
Atlanta Braves

National League

Middle America Division
Minnesota Twins
Milwaukee Brewers
Chicago Cubs
St. Louis Cardinals
Kansas City Royals

Home on the Range Division
Arizona Diamondbacks
Texas Rangers
Houston Astros
Colorado Rockies
Seattle Mariners

Golden State Division
LA Angels
LA Dodgers
SF Giants
SD Padres
Oakland A's

I'll request a swap .....
I'll trade the White Sox for the Cubs, it'll make it much more interesting to be able to have the Tigers and the Cubs play again.

Ya, I remember that ... that was when the REDS and the Dodgers were a rivalry...:D
During the 70's, they had the best rivalry in the division. It seemed like every year it was either the big red machine or the Dodgers winning the division (the Astros would sneak in there every now and then).

Sparky vs. Tommy....
They remain very good friends to this day.

During the 70's, they had the best rivalry in the division. It seemed like every year it was either the big red machine or the Dodgers winning the division (the Astros would sneak in there every now and then).

Sparky vs. Tommy....
They remain very good friends to this day.

Oh, THOSE were the DAYS !!!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)