Hypothetical MLB Divisional Realignment

During the 70's, they had the best rivalry in the division. It seemed like every year it was either the big red machine or the Dodgers winning the division (the Astros would sneak in there every now and then).

Sparky vs. Tommy....
They remain very good friends to this day.

They were rivals even back in the 60's...One of the reasons my step-father was able to score season tickets for 4 seats every year was because a cousin of his who lived in Kentucky split them with him, and the only tickets he would use were when the Dodgers came to town...the rest of the season was my step-dad to use, and I would get what he didn't use for business clients...It was great!!!...Over the years I got to go to games at Crosley, (including the last one), the first game in Riverfront, an All-Star game, numerous playoff games, and 2 different WS games!!!...ah...those were the days!!!...:cool:

Why not realign into two leagues based on salary structure?
  1. Begin by specifying two payroll ranges. Then each franchise would choose in which it would like to compete.
  2. The playoff champions of leach league would play in the World Series.
  3. At the end of each season, teams would be given the opportunity to realign, as long as there remained three divisions of five teams in each league.

sounds like a softball summer beer league

You guys are a bunch of ole geezers.

"those were the days!" best old guy voice.
I am only in my 30's, but I was a die hard Dodgers fan in elementary school. I could name the entire 25 man roster in 3rd grade. Even then, I still realized that the rivalry between the Reds and Dodgers AT THAT TIME was bigger than that between the Giants and Dodgers.

I am only in my 30's, but I was a die hard Dodgers fan in elementary school. I could name the entire 25 man roster in 3rd grade. Even then, I still realized that the rivalry between the Reds and Dodgers AT THAT TIME was bigger than that between the Giants and Dodgers.

In the late 80's and early 90's I could name every player on every team that started the season. I collected baseball cards and would go through them over and over. I still have all of them which is about 125,000 of them.

In the "How Should Major League Baseball be Run" thread, I touched on one of the things I'd like to change if I were Commissioner. One of the first things would be to re-align the divisions. All teams, whether AL or NL will be susceptible. It makes no sense how the AL West has 4 teams and the NL Central has 6 teams, yet the rest of the league all have 5!

In this re-alignment, I keep some vintage rivalries together, while aligning some current rivalries between cities that aren't reflected in the current setup. All in all, location was the ultimate factor in my new alignment. And now, without further ado, here are my new divisions.......

American League

East Coast Elitist Division
NY Yankees
Boston Red Sox
Philadelphia Phillies
NY Mets
Toronto Blue Jays

Blue Collar Division
Cleveland Indians
Detroit Tigers
Cincinnati Reds
Pittsburgh Pirates
Chicago White Sox

Mason Dixon Line Division
Baltimore Orioles
Washington Nationals
Florida Marlins
Tampa Bay Rays
Atlanta Braves

National League

Middle America Division
Minnesota Twins
Milwaukee Brewers
Chicago Cubs
St. Louis Cardinals
Kansas City Royals

Home on the Range Division
Arizona Diamondbacks
Texas Rangers
Houston Astros
Colorado Rockies
Seattle Mariners

Golden State Division
LA Angels
LA Dodgers
SF Giants
SD Padres
Oakland A's
flip flop Cincy and the Cubs and you have a deal.
Contact the lawyers

American League

East Coast Elitist Division
NY Yankees
Boston Red Sox
Philadelphia Phillies
NY Mets

Toronto Blue Jays

Blue Collar Division
Cleveland Indians
Detroit Tigers
Cincinnati Reds

Pittsburgh Pirates
Chicago White Sox

Mason Dixon Line Division
Baltimore Orioles
Washington Nationals
Florida Marlins
Tampa Bay Rays
Atlanta Braves

National League

Middle America Division
Minnesota Twins
Milwaukee Brewers
Chicago Cubs
St. Louis Cardinals

Kansas City Royals

Home on the Range Division
Arizona Diamondbacks
Texas Rangers
Houston Astros
Colorado Rockies
Seattle Mariners

Golden State Division
LA Angels
LA Dodgers
SF Giants
SD Padres
Oakland A's

I like it
but I'd axe the non bolded teams

In the late 80's and early 90's I could name every player on every team that started the season. I collected baseball cards and would go through them over and over. I still have all of them which is about 125,000 of them.

I was the same way...........just change the dates to mid/late 70's-early 80's.:eek:

I am only in my 30's, but I was a die hard Dodgers fan in elementary school. I could name the entire 25 man roster in 3rd grade.

When the Dodgers won back-to-back pennants in '77 and '78 (losing the WS to the Yankees both years), they're five man rotation was Don Sutton, Rick Rhoden, Burt Hooten, Tommy John and Doug Rau. There was many other teams that I could recite their lineups and pitching staffs.

What's sad is, I'm lucky if I could name 30% of most of TODAY's rosters. :eek:

I guess when you're 11 years old, your priorities are a lot different. :p

Me too....I could probably still name more players from that era than I could name players playing today.

YOu're gonna put the Angels in a division full of NL West teams and the A's? They'll walk all over those teams every year! And I guess the American league no longer belongs in California at all?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)