I am not admitting defeat!

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

iafirebuff

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 10, 2006
Waterloo, Iowa
Well my system arrived, and I can't get a signal on G10. I have checked and rechecked! The compass that came with it shows 123 is in the opposite direction than what the websites show, so I gave up on the compass. The signal meter - well if I can't figure the compass out then i can't figure that out :) Anyway, I have the mount plumb, the elevation set, the skew set, coax in, in setup I am on galaxy 10RK - I assume K is for k band? any way, I have it on the first transponder - dont have the number in fornt of my, but it is the one that wngs is on. I dont know what else to do! I wait a5-6 seconds between moves. nothing. Any ideas? THANKS!!!!!!!

Well lets try this again (I had it all typed and my internet crapped out on me)

When you set it up...make sure its in the satellite input, not the antenna in :D

Now then...go into the setup and select Galaxy 10RK (K for KU band)
scroll down to the transponder list and hit right arrow to bring up the list
Find this transponder
11800 V 26660

That’s the TP (Transponder you want to use)
rest of the menu is

LNB Type 10750
LNB Power 13/18
rest is off (22k, positioner, diseqc, sat lock)

The numbers for Waterloo, IA for G10 are
elevation 32
azimuth 220
skew +29.1 (counterclockwuise if you are in front of the dish)

Put the elevation (red line) right above 30. Since 225 is truly SW aim it SW and move S L O W L Y in that area. The bar on the screen turns yellow when it hits a signal. If you don’t get anything you might have to fiddle with the elevation. Fortec dishes have been known to read the levation goofy (for me G10 is at 30 and the red line is a little below it)

good luck

The compass that came with it shows 123

wait a minute....123 is the satellite spot in the sky. Where you aim it depends on your location. You're not aiming at 123 degrees, are you??

Since you're in Waterloo, you aim at 220 degrees, not 123.
220 is SW direction

Larry
see my drawing....S is straight south and W is straight west...

where I put 220 is where you need to aim...220 degrees on the compass

Attachments

• Doc1.doc
    23.5 KB · Views: 339
It might help also but through my fustration trying to line up the compass and having it give the wrong reading next to the metal dish I tied a string to the dish support post out 10 or 12 feet in the direction on the compass for that satellite and line the lnbf support arm with it.

Dave

Go to google earth and find your house.You should be able to see your true south very easily on that site with the on screen compass.

Thanks for the tips! I had a mental lapse on the compass. I figured that out last night :) BUT, No matter what satellite I go for, I can't get anything! I did get an echostar bird earlier, but that was a fluke! I can't get that noe eother. Iceberg has given me detailed instructions, and I have followed those - I actually have started over from the mount up 3 times! When I use a satellite finder meter, I peak it, put when i go to the receiver, I don't have any luck at all. It seems that something is not set right on the receiver, as bo matter what bird I go for, I get nothing. I will give it a try this weekend again. Thanks for everyones help! Iactually would continue tonith, but am beat! I started at 730 am and quite about4. I got a little sun...serves me right for calling in sick :)

What receiver are you using ?
We all have had trouble finding G10 by the way.You will find numerous posts regarding the hunt for that Sat on this site with lots of good tips.Good luck.

Iafirebuff,
You should be able to hit a DSS sat, those suckers are strong. Heres what i would do. Try for 121, once you hit that drop elevation and move the dish slowly to the west, maybe an 1/8th inch at a time and you will find g10. Use your sat finder for this, they work great in this context. Thats what I did on my first install, and have done the same on every g10 install I have done since.

Last edited:
john green

He has the Fortec Classic (same one I have). I gave him a few TP's ot try (including some strong ones)

drhydro...I think you mean 119. The only problem is he only has a KU LNB so I don't know if you can pick up 119 decently with a KU LNB

I had 121w at about 20% earlier today, but could never get anything to the west of it. I scanned 110 and so I know the equipment works :) Of courese everything was scrambled, but it still scanned them.

if you can get 121, I would have tried and nudge the dish to see if you can get that signal up..then move from there

from 121 to 123 is maybe 1/16"-1/8" to the west

Iceberg said:
if you can get 121, I would have tried and nudge the dish to see if you can get that signal up..then move from there

from 121 to 123 is maybe 1/16"-1/8" to the west

EXACTLY!

If you find a satellite again, any satellite. Stop peak the signal the best you can, mark your elevation and put a mark on the pole/mast. Store the satellite.
From there write down the Freq./Pol./SR of the channels you do get, then we can tell if the LNBF and receiver are set up correctly.

With one satellite as a reference come back here and we will tell you what way to move your dish, use Blind Scan, if you feel you are close to a satellite, its AMAZING what you may find its a great way to find satellites. Remember the satellites are at different heights in the sky to each other, and that is different all over the country.

Here is what I have done. I have the elevation set to 30 (32 is the actual elevation, but was told to set it at 30 due to Fortec dishes being off), I have the skew to almost +30 (29.2 is the #). I think I have this right, it is postive, so counterclockwise. There are 6 marks on each side of the center mark. According to Sadoun's site, 30 degrees is the last mark. They show +30 to be on the right hand side of the lnb, but if I turn the lnb counterclockwise, then the negative side is "up" - if that makes sense. I don't know if the pic on their site is correct, but like I said it shows that this would be the negative side being up. So maybe that is my problem? I don't think so, as I turn the lnb counterclockwise (facing the dish). I have the receiver - fortec Lifetime Classic set to galaxy g10rk, tp - set to an active one that Iceberg gave me. I put the rest of the settings like he suggested. As for the satellite finder meter. sometimes it stays on "10" even if I have moved the dish half way around. I adjusted the gain as per the instructions. That gets me close, then I unhook it and try to slowly move the dish to get a signal - I move a smudge and wait 5-10 seconds. Getting back to the satellite finder, when I first adjust it, I adjust it so that it shows "5", then when it gets a signal, it increses. To me, it seems that I am overlooking something, as 7 hours today and 3 last night with no luck. I called a local satellite installer - he thought he could aim it, he wanted to make sure he didnt have to do anyting else, just aim it. He thinks ha can. He didn't know what a FTA or a KU band dish was. So, I am leary to pay $45 for him to come out. Well, I want to keep trying to set this up, but each time I get the same results. I tried for 97w, and a few others too, with no luck. Just a thought, My Dish Netowrk (119 and 110) are set up no problem. 123 is real close to 119, so line of site shluld not be a problem. Just curious though, would trees or houses in the next yard over interfere with g10? Probably between 10-50 feet away? Dish is ok like I said. Thanks for any ideas!

I will try again this weekend, as that will be the first time I will have a helper :) Maybe I can set back up tomorrow or friday night and get something. Then go from there. Thanks!

He didn't know what a FTA or a KU band dish was
no way...if he doesn't know KU I wouldn't have him aim it...he wont have the right equipment

how high up are we talking for the house/trees and how far away? The signal is 22 degrees what the LNB shows (thats what offset means) so the signal comes in higher than the dish looks like it is. My G10 is aimed at the house but the signal comes in fine due to the 22 degree offset :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)